• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pre workout

L

lazy

Has anyone tried MRI black powder? bit pricey at $110 for small tube that last 30 days.

I've tried it for a week didn't really see a diff. I'm already taking creatine, Arginine, beta alanine, calcium and some multi's so maybe that had something to do with it. The caffeine was the reason I didn't buy it, something I can do without. My two cents worth.

I've tried it for a week didn't really see a diff. I'm already taking creatine, Arginine, beta alanine, calcium and some multi's so maybe that had something to do with it. The caffeine was the reason I didn't buy it, something I can do without. My two cents worth.

Well Mr. King, you can add $999,999.98 for me because that to me was worth a million bux Champion.

I've said this before but it won't hurt to bring it to surface again: caffeine will strongly facillitate the production of cortisol release into your blood stream. If you don't know what cortisol does and why I'd want to minimise its release; then please ask Mr. King or someone else in case the man is busy. I'd like to give someone else a chance to put the nail in the coffin with caffeine consumption around training times.

Fadi.

In the spirit of the Grandmaster Fadi,

Put simply cortisol is the hormone the body releases when it believes that you are in trouble and causes the body to pull energy (glucose, protein and fat) to provide you with quick energy in response to the situation.

The problem with maintaining elevated/unnatural levels of cortisol is that due to its catabolic effects it can cause the loss of muscle tissue by facilitating the process of converting lean tissue into glucose. An excess of cortisol can also lead to a decrease in insulin sensitivity, increased insulin resistance, reduced kidney function, hypertension, suppressed immune function, reduced growth hormone levels, and reduced connective tissue strength.

Your cortisol levels can become elevated either through stress which may be induced through pressure at work, personal life, lack of sleep or through the use of stimulants such as coffee, alcohol and lack of recovery after a workout, just to name a few.

cortisol levels are at their natural highs in the morning between 6 and 8am during the times when most people will have a shot of coffee (use to be me..3 short blacks before 9am). You really should be looking at lowering cortisol levels by learning to relax, having a proper breakfast, eating and drinking right and recovering properly after a workout.

No where near the editorials we see from Fadi, if you do want to research more on caffeine and cortisol, Google is your friend.

Wow, was not aware of that, wikipedia makes it sound like the best stuff you can get.

When ever you intend on buying supplements always get into the habit of checking out the components online. Stacks are popular and expensive so it pays to understand what each component is doing for you. If you're not sure then don't buy it. Most of the ratings sites will have positive feedback for products that don't even work so don't go too much on what people say about them, do the research. I don't know how wiki is governed so the credibility of the info might be questionable, good place to start, I wouldnt stop there

What about Controlled Labs White Flood?

What is that LJ? It doesn't sound like an ingredient I can sink my teeth into; so the answer is I don't know.

PS: great job on cortisol Mr. King; well done.

Fadi.

Thanks again Fadi.

LJ Whiteflood is supposed to be PreWO but doesn't provide any nutrients, as Fadi said nothing you can sink your teeth into. Sounds inadequate as it doesn't have aminos either in BCAA form or protein, and the caffeine....well you may as well give your body nothing as it will be in a less catabolic state unless you plan to throw this down with food. PreWO you could do a lot better. Purple Wraath is one that I would consider IntraWO as it has aminos, arginine, Beta Alanine and that is prolly the only Controlled Labs product I'd buy.

Fadi - I'd be interested to hear your recommendations on pre/intra/post workout supplements.

The pre-workout drink you recommended in the 3000 cal thread only has 5g of WPI - the amount of BCAAs + Glutamine in 5g would be quite low, so I was thinking that maybe a BCAA+G supplement would be a good addition for starters..

Fadi - I'd be interested to hear your recommendations on pre/intra/post workout supplements.

The pre-workout drink you recommended in the 3000 cal thread only has 5g of WPI - the amount of BCAAs + Glutamine in 5g would be quite low, so I was thinking that maybe a BCAA+G supplement would be a good addition for starters..

First thing Raphsta is I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner my friend; but I'm here now. Before I answer as to why I do what I do, please tell me at what amount of G would you be satisfied (and why). I put that in brackets as people don't usually like the "why" questions; you don't have to answer it. But tell me what amount of protein or aminos+ G you would suggest. Thank you.

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi,

Well, you've actually got me thinking.
I remember reading a recommendation of about 10g of Glutamine a day..BUT.. I also remember reading that it's best to spread it out over the day..

Looking at my WPI, 5g would have about 1g of Glutamine. Your postWO shake was 15g WPI I think.. So, that's 4g of glutamine..
But, I have read that the powder form glutamine is absorbsed much more effectively by the body than from whey.

Anyway, the point is.. I have no idea :) ..

I guess I was just wondering how (and if) a well educated person such as yourself uses additional supplements.
I am thinking whether or not BCAA+G would be a good purchase - I suppose I am just looking for some new supp to use instead of my caffeine based PWO supp, which thanks to you I've learnt why it's not a good thing.

Last edited:
Thanks Fadi,

I have read that the powder form glutamine is absorbsed much more effectively by the body than from whey.

Im a noob on this subject too, but, theres been a study (or 2) recenrly that show that glutamine can not be absorbed through the stomach, and oral taken glutamine had no effect on muscle. bodyfat etc.

Im a noob on this subject too, but, theres been a study (or 2) recenrly that show that glutamine can not be absorbed through the stomach, and oral taken glutamine had no effect on muscle. bodyfat etc.

Thanks for that Thugz8,

I've written an article on Glutamine called "Glutamine is King". Please do check it out when you have the time.

Articles written about glutamine absorption (or lack of) do not tell the whole story. If a study wants to say that there was no glutamine absorption through the stomach; fine. I'm interested in what happens at the GI level (Gastrointestinal) tract. There you'll find ample absorbtion.

Glutamine is taken to prevent upper respiratory tract infections to susceptible athletes who have just gone through some intense kick arse workout. Not taken to make these athletes' muscles bigger. After all, you and I Thugz8 (you've got o give me a name) can not train if we're sick, would you not agree!?

I'll leave it here.

Fadi.

Thanks Fadi,

Well, you've actually got me thinking.
I remember reading a recommendation of about 10g of Glutamine a day..BUT.. I also remember reading that it's best to spread it out over the day..

Looking at my WPI, 5g would have about 1g of Glutamine. Your postWO shake was 15g WPI I think.. So, that's 4g of glutamine..
But, I have read that the powder form glutamine is absorbsed much more effectively by the body than from whey.

Anyway, the point is.. I have no idea :) ..

I guess I was just wondering how (and if) a well educated person such as yourself uses additional supplements.
I am thinking whether or not BCAA+G would be a good purchase - I suppose I am just looking for some new supp to use instead of my caffeine based PWO supp, which thanks to you I've learnt why it's not a good thing.

Hello again Raphsta,

The small amount of protein I recommend before training is to limit immune suppression. Whey protein is great for the immune system. And as far as the quantity of glutamine: it's 1-2g after training and 1g later on in the day. The whey powder as you yourself have mentioned already has plenty of glutamine to serve our purpose (which is keeping/maintaining a healthy and strong immune system) and not build this or that. I'd leave that for other supplement like creatine etc.

Every weapon in our arsenal has to be used with the outmost precision for its intended purpose and no more

I'll be writing about an amino acid (other than Glutamine) that you ought to be taking before/during/ after workout and later on in the day if you want to build muscles more efficiently. But here we were dealing with glutamine.

Fadi

The above makes alot of sense, and I can see the pros of Glut. I just assumed you recommended it due to its muscle building ability. I might get myself onto some Glut if it might help prevent sickness.

Btw, name is Steve :)

The above makes alot of sense, and I can see the pros of Glut. I just assumed you recommended it due to its muscle building ability. I might get myself onto some Glut if it might help prevent sickness.

Btw, name is Steve :)

Ah wonderful; thank you Steve.

I just assumed you recommended it due to its muscle building ability.
Yeh, I'd be skeptical too if someone gave it to me for the purpose of building muscles. Well done mate.

Fadi.

I'll be writing about an amino acid (other than Glutamine) that you ought to be taking before/during/ after workout and later on in the day if you want to build muscles more efficiently.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Raphael

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Raphael

Mmmm, well thank you for providing me with your name Raphael; I feel much better now. And for that, I'm going to make a thread out of it just for you. I'll see if I can do it tonight and you'll have it by tomorrow morning for sure.

Fadi.

Just came across a Preworkout item sold by Fitness Central (I wont link in case it breaks rules).

Seems to be solid, has 2 types of Creatine, Beta Alanine, Argine, Taurine and a few other goodies. Does not contain Carbs or caffine.

Seems like a decent bass that you would modify to suit your needs, ie, add Dextrose, BCAA etc.