• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Program Wanted

giffo

I am 48 years old and have been getting back into fitness in the past 12 months.
The problem is I have no real program to work by. I have been given some exercise routines but dont seem to be suitable to what weights etc I have.

I have a tread mill
Weight bench (bench press/leg curls/adjustable back part)
1 x 6 foot barbell
2 x dumbells.
Situp bench (45 degress)
60 kgs weights

What routine can I do every second day?

I want to increase muscles in my CHEST, ARMS, SHOULDERS, ABS, BACK AND LEGS. Pretty much all over I suppose.
I have been doing bench press, dumbell curls and tricep exercises.

Could someone help me with a allround routine to do for 30-40 mins every day OR second day. INCLUDING cardio.

I am a shift worker and obviously are not as fit as years gone by. BUT are pretty good for my age.
I am 6'1" tall and weigh 90 kgs.

Many Thanks

POP'S
:D

Warmup using treadmill after that
bodyweight squats until fully warmed up

Squats 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
Deadlifts 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
Bench Press 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps

Do that for a while until you stop getting gains then re-evaluate.

just a suggestion.

Warmup using treadmill after that
bodyweight squats until fully warmed up

Squats 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
Deadlifts 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
Bench Press 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps

Do that for a while until you stop getting gains then re-evaluate.

just a suggestion.

Thanks for the reply,
Will that do all I asked? Ie: shoulder/arms/chest/legs etc?
Many thanks
:)

You can try the upper / lower split.
Upper:
Bench Press x 3 sets
Military Press x 3
Barbell Row x 3
Tricep extension supersetted with barbell or dumbell curl x 2
Abs

Lower
Leg Ext x 2
Squat x 3
Deadlift x 3
Leg Curls x 3
Calf Raise x 3

Entire body worked in 2 days
You can do it 2 days on 2 days of or 1 day on 1 day off etc.

Cheers.

Thanks for your help SHREK. Will try it.

Giffo

You can try the upper / lower split.
Upper:
Bench Press x 3 sets
Military Press x 3
Barbell Row x 3
Tricep extension supersetted with barbell or dumbell curl x 2
Abs

Lower
Leg Ext x 2
Squat x 3
Deadlift x 3
Leg Curls x 3
Calf Raise x 3

Entire body worked in 2 days
You can do it 2 days on 2 days of or 1 day on 1 day off etc.

Cheers.

Sorry Shrek forgot one thing, i use the barbell for most of these or dumbells?

sets X how many reps?

What is the supersetted?

Do i do UPPER one day then LOWER the next or all on the one day?

Giffo:)

Last edited:
You can try...

Mon - Upper body
Tue - Rest
Wed - Lower body
Thur - Rest
Fri - Upper body
Sat - Rest
Sunday Lower body
Mon - Rest
Tue - Upper body

and so on, following that pattern

Sorry Shrek forgot one thing, i use the barbell for most of these or dumbells?

sets X how many reps?

What is the supersetted?

Do i do UPPER one day then LOWER the next or all on the one day?

Giffo:)
Whatever you have. I would use barbell for the squat and deadlift though.
Reps can be between 6-12, whatever you feel comfortable with.
Superset is one exercise followed by another with no rest.
Do upper one day, lower the next day.

Whatever you have. I would use barbell for the squat and deadlift though.
Reps can be between 6-12, whatever you feel comfortable with.
Superset is one exercise followed by another with no rest.
Do upper one day, lower the next day.

Thanks Shrek,

Will try the routine for a few months and see what happens. As long as I dont do my shfinkster in LOL
Thanks to the others too for the reply.

my next question thread is what people think of 'Protein powders' after work outs??

Giffo

I like Kindred's approach, simple and straightforward.

However, first up I would say check with a GP. You didn't mention if you've ever done physical training before - for all we know, you might have some medical thing you have to work around - for example, I have a slight lumbar scoliosis, not enough to hinder me in day-to-day life (I was infantry, and had no trouble on hikes and so on), but it means I shouldn't do squats or deadlifts, much as I'd like to. Someone else might have high cholesterol, low blood pressure or whatever. All those can be worked around but you have to know about them to do that.

Once the quack gives you the all-clear, or lets you know what you have to work around, I would check with a professional trainer who has met you in person and discussed your current state and your goals with you. It's a lot easier to guide you on a journey if we know where you're starting from and where you want to go.

Find someone of at least 30 - the younger ones (early 20s) tend to be a bit gung-ho, and give you routines straight out the latest fashionable book, rather than tailored to you as an individual. For example nowadays every bugger wants us to do some pilates or ball work, ten years ago it was aerobics classes. An older one will have a wider perspective. Just a session or two will set you on the right track.

It'll cost, but when the alternative is possibly months of effort for little gain, or even injury, it's a worthwhile investment.

But if you think I am full of shit, then just go for Kindred's one, nice and simple, and it'll give you good feedback in that you'll usually find your weights growing quickly, which will encourage you to keep going.

Happy lifting, mate, it's hard work but rewarding in many ways.

I like Kindred's approach, simple and straightforward.

However, first up I would say check with a GP. You didn't mention if you've ever done physical training before - for all we know, you might have some medical thing you have to work around - for example, I have a slight lumbar scoliosis, not enough to hinder me in day-to-day life (I was infantry, and had no trouble on hikes and so on), but it means I shouldn't do squats or deadlifts, much as I'd like to. Someone else might have high cholesterol, low blood pressure or whatever. All those can be worked around but you have to know about them to do that.

Once the quack gives you the all-clear, or lets you know what you have to work around, I would check with a professional trainer who has met you in person and discussed your current state and your goals with you. It's a lot easier to guide you on a journey if we know where you're starting from and where you want to go.

Find someone of at least 30 - the younger ones (early 20s) tend to be a bit gung-ho, and give you routines straight out the latest fashionable book, rather than tailored to you as an individual. For example nowadays every bugger wants us to do some pilates or ball work, ten years ago it was aerobics classes. An older one will have a wider perspective. Just a session or two will set you on the right track.

It'll cost, but when the alternative is possibly months of effort for little gain, or even injury, it's a worthwhile investment.

But if you think I am full of shit, then just go for Kindred's one, nice and simple, and it'll give you good feedback in that you'll usually find your weights growing quickly, which will encourage you to keep going.

Happy lifting, mate, it's hard work but rewarding in many ways.

Thanks for the great reply. I concur with what you stated. I have been reasonably fit most of my life (except cardio is down a bit). I have good strength in my top half. My legs are skinny and I had a cartilage removed (inner) which is weak at times when lifting things.

i am pretty good for my age. Just want to BEEF up a bit and have some good strength. A bit of shape would be a bonus.

One more question why your there...... i bench press using a barbel and have noticed my left chest muscle is bigger than my right. I am right handed and did have a dislocated shoulder back in 1987.
What is your opinion on Horleys Protein Powder? Will try Kindreds routine and Shreks and see how I go. I work shift and can afford time to di workouts.

Many thanks

Giffo

Ask a physiotherapist about the shoulder and knee, mate. It's like I said - this sort of thing won't usually stop your training entirely, you just work around it.

Normally, if you have some lopsided development, which is pretty common - whatever hand and leg is dominant, that's bigger - then you go for dumbbells rather than barbells, one-legged raises on the machine rather than two-legged, etc. That way you make sure you're putting out equal effort with each side. It does work but it's slow.

I am a cynic about protein powders. They're a lot of money for not much in terms of the actual content, compared to what you can get from other sources. I've always relied on basics like normal healthy food, milk, eggs, and milk powder. Of course, I have never been a real bodybuilder or powerlifter. But as a regular bloke who just wants to be in the top third of strength and fitness instead of the middle or bottom third, that approach works fine.

Go to the physio, though. I've known quite a few volleyballers, I've seen a lot of them say, "oh yeah I got a bit of a twinge but I'll be alright." Then in the next match they pop their knee or ankle and miss out on it for six months. Don't risk injury - our keenness to train can actual risk our future ability to train.

After doing bench for a while you should regain balance in the size of your muscles. The only muscle groups that are commonly disproportianate are arms due to the amount of work people do with the side they favour.

After doing bench for a while you should regain balance in the size of your muscles. The only muscle groups that are commonly disproportianate are arms due to the amount of work people do with the side they favour.

I think you are right. My wife and I have seen a change and notice the right chest muscle is getting closer to the other. Thought I was just one of those that are a bit weird? :D:D

Should I use flat bench for those few routines or do incline too?
At 48 I am starting to feel good and stronger in the chest and arms. Not a massive gain over 8 months but noticeable. Have to work on my rake legs.
Cheers,
Steve