• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Protein/Carb/Fats required

Gunner

Hi,

I have recently just started doing weights again & I need some help with sorting out my nutrional intake. I have gone from doing heaps or strength & endurance (boxing) cardio workouts with a little weights afterwards to mainly only doing weights.

Taking into account I am 85kg @ 11% body fat, 186cm tall & age 30.

I am currently comsuming around 2000 calories per day based on:
2-2.5g of protein per kg of body weight. Usually around 200gms
2-3 g of carbs per kg of body weight. Usually around 220-250gms
0.5-0.75g of fat per kg of bodyweight. Usually around 40-50gms

I eat fairly well. Every 2.5 - 3 hours. Lots of fibre.

The supps I am taking right now are:
Pre workout: Acetyl L-Carntine
Postworkout: ON 100% Whey Gold Standard + Extreme Carbs
During the Day & Night Protein: Max's Muscle growth GTE
During workout: SciVation Extend + Endura

Another question: How much protein/carbs do you think is required postworkout? I have heard conflicting reports. I have been having 36g Protein + 42g Carbs. Is this enough or too much?

I am a fairly active person & my weekly training consists of 3 days per week weights, Army PT & weekend running.

My short term goal is to put on 5kg by Christmas.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
whats your diet look like exactly? im just interested as im trying to cut a bit on around 2000 cals a day as well. my split is closer to 30/30/30 which has worked well for the last 2 months but i was going to change it to a 40/40/20 if i plateau soon as im expecting.

whats your diet look like exactly? im just interested as im trying to cut a bit on around 2000 cals a day as well. my split is closer to 30/30/30 which has worked well for the last 2 months but i was going to change it to a 40/40/20 if i plateau soon as im expecting.
Meal 1 - 6.50am
Cereal, Oats0.5Cup (50g)
Milk, Pura Tone0.5Cup (125ml)
Egg, Boiled, Whole160g
Egg, Boiled, White Only160g
Egg, Boiled, White Only160g
Protein Carbs Fat
32.3 40.0 10.8

Meal 2 - 9.30am
Max's Muscle Growth GTE 1Scoop
Fruit, Banana, Extra Large300g w/skin, 25cm, 180g of Fruit
Veges, Birds Eye Steam Fresh (Broccoli, Cauliflower & Carrots)1Packet (200g)
15 x Almonds
Protein Carbs Fat
36.1 47.0 10.4

Pre Workout - 11.10am
Acetyl L-Carnitine 1/2 Teaspoon)

During Workout - 11.30 - 12.30pm
Scivation Extend
Endura 1 Scoop

Meal 3 - Post Workout - 1pm
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard 1.5Scoops
Extreme Carbs 1 Scoop
Protein Carbs Fat
36.0 42.6 1.5

Meal 4 - 3pm
Fish, Tuna, Greenseas, Chunks in SpringwaterCan (95g)
Bread, Tip Top, Multigrain, 9 Grain2Slices
Sauce, American Mustard1Tablespoon (10g)
Sauce, Sweet Chilli w/ginger1Tablespoon (15ml)
Protein Carbs Fat
27.2 34.0 5.1

Meal 5 - 6pm
Chicken, Breast, Grilled100g
Vege, Broccoli, Steamed100g
Vege, Cauliflower, Steamed100g
Rice, Basmati100g
Protein Carbs Fat
27.8 32.0 4.3

Meal 6 - 9pm
Max's Muscle Growth GTE1Scoop
Yoghurt, Nestle Diet, Peach Mango1Tub (200g)
15 x Almonds
Protein Carbs Fat
36.6 16.0 10.0

Totals: Protein: 196 carbs: 211.6 fat: 42.1 fibre: 30.2
Calories: 2009.4 Kj: 8407.4

I'm probabley not getting enough fat so I have been thinking about dropping the yoghurt at the last meal and have my protein shake with full fat milk or buy some MCT oil.

Last edited:
This thread leads to only 2 questions I have:

1. How many grams of protein/carbs/fat I require daily to put on muscle.
2. How many grams of protein/carbs I require post workout.

Cheers

The basics are as follows - macronutrients are extremely important but if you are not meeting the minimum caloric requirements you can't put on muscle. Once you have ensured that you meet the minimum calories then you can focus on macronutrient ratios. Generally a ratio of 40/40/20 is a good medium. Post workout wise - a piece of fruit and protein shake is good post workout if you follow it up an hour later another meal etc etc. Common sense usually prevails.

The basics are as follows - macronutrients are extremely important but if you are not meeting the minimum caloric requirements you can't put on muscle. Once you have ensured that you meet the minimum calories then you can focus on macronutrient ratios. Generally a ratio of 40/40/20 is a good medium. Post workout wise - a piece of fruit and protein shake is good post workout if you follow it up an hour later another meal etc etc. Common sense usually prevails.

Thanks mate. My eating plan is pretty close. I do need to add more fat into my diet.

Yeh brother, you look really organised food wise. Maybe just throw in some avocado where you think it would go well. Some nice healthy fat in your diet right there.

Yeh brother, you look really organised food wise. Maybe just throw in some avocado where you think it would go well. Some nice healthy fat in your diet right there.
Thanks mate. Can't stand avocado. I eat almonds or cashews instead.