• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

reps vs. weight

After reading some threads on here (in particular, 2 or 3 by fadi noting the benefit of large reps) and chatting to some of the bigger guys in the gym, I decided to stop lifting heavier for curls and just start doing high reps with really slow/controlled movements.

I decided to try just the curls so it would be just the 1 change in my routine so I could better monitor any possible effects.

I dropped the d/bell curls from 20kgs to 10kgs and increased. 8-10 to 12-15.

I did 2 sets of bicep curls (10kgs), 2 sets of hammer curls (10kgs) and 1 set of reverse curls (7.5kgs)

after just one week (3 sessions) I've noticed a fair difference. Definitely larger, fuller and harder. I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I'm not going to measure until 4 weeks is up to compare.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Higher reps give you "the pump", which as Arnie told us, "is better dan cummink."

"The pump" is that full and hard feeling.

Higher reps (15+) improve muscular endurance, too.

Everyone benefits from changing their routine from time to time. We'll see what your measurements are after a month or so whether you in particular benefited ;)

I achieve the pump even with low reps heavy weights, you do this by lowering the bar slower but I dont go all the way down, you lose the pump if you go all the down and all the way up, make sure you dont lift your elbows.

Im not a big fan of higher reps, I did these way back with little gain and from the gains i got from heavier weights its going to be very hard to convince otherwise.

How can you say you are noticing gains after 1 week?, ignoring noob gains, most intermediate lifters would be lucky to see 1" arm gains every 2-3 months, if you break that down to a weekly average that's about 2-3mm a week, which is impossible.

Measurements don't lie, take down your measurements now, do the higher rep stuff for 2 months, then check your measurements again and see if you've grown :)

That'll be Der Pump Dat Is Beddah Dan Cummink that he notices after a week, Morgan :)

We'll see in a month or so, hopefully he doesn't wander off like Timmy did.

How can you say you are noticing gains after 1 week?, ignoring noob gains, most intermediate lifters would be lucky to see 1" arm gains every 2-3 months, if you break that down to a weekly average that's about 2-3mm a week, which is impossible.

I did weights for 3 years straight 17 to 19 then left, put on weight and 9 years later came back. Theres a big difference from someone that has started from scratch to someone that has been on and off. Also I have been going to the gym since mid August.
You thought that I was some noob who doesn't know anything and magically put on lean mass.
Like it or not I'm talking from experience but it didn't work for me but it might work for you.

Kyle: In the past two months I lost 6 kilos of weight and squats went up from 90kilos to 100kilos 5 or 6 reps, and you would think that I take creatine and work out on week days.
Im following Max OT program principles were I left 9 years ago, but that doesn't stop me from buying other books and learning other workouts because thats the only way to have a broad understand on how muscles communicate.
Another thing that I dont find important is the pump, its a good feelling but I prefer a short set performed to positive failure.

Variety of weights and reps that are part of a periodisation principle is the name of the game here in my opinion. This insures involvement of all muscle fibers as well as bringing into play and affecting some of our major body systems such as the skeletal, muscular, circulatory, nervous, respiratory, endocrine.

If I had to choose two words which to me encompass volumes if information, then it’s: variety/periodisation.

Fadi.

Even when I started going to the gym, information available was a bit dry, the usual consensus was more reps the better, they didn't explain why, thats just the way it is because bodybuilders from the 60's 70's 80's did it that way(despite what people say this isn't entirely true).

Fiber hypertrophy can be achieved by using heavy weights or high reps but its important to know how both of these differentiate.
Then I started reading into slow and fast twitch fibers and the importance of decreasing lactic acid secretion.

I did weights for 3 years straight 17 to 19 then left, put on weight and 9 years later came back. Theres a big difference from someone that has started from scratch to someone that has been on and off. Also I have been going to the gym since mid August.
You thought that I was some noob who doesn't know anything and magically put on lean mass.
Like it or not I'm talking from experience but it didn't work for me but it might work for you.

Kyle: In the past two months I lost 6 kilos of weight and squats went up from 90kilos to 100kilos 5 or 6 reps, and you would think that I take creatine and work out on week days.
Im following Max OT program principles were I left 9 years ago, but that doesn't stop me from buying other books and learning other workouts because thats the only way to have a broad understand on how muscles communicate.
Another thing that I dont find important is the pump, its a good feelling but I prefer a short set performed to positive failure.
My post was directed at the OP mate, not you.

Cheers

Last edited:

Measurements don't lie, take down your measurements now, do the higher rep stuff for 2 months, then check your measurements again and see if you've grown :)

Yeah I am doing the measurement. Pretty sure that's mentioned in the opening post. Kyle has answered your first question.