• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Reverse grip bench

Bazza20

Interested in opinions on this exercise for bench assistance or muscle growth?

Last edited:
Awesome for tricep strength.

We do them close grip with elbows brushing torso.

Great exercise.

Never used it myself though I have read it can be a great tool. I wouldn't call it a compulsory assistance exercise.

Could be hard on the shoulder, if I was going to perform this exercise I'd prefer a neutral grip around 700mm would be optimum.

I think pushdowns would be safer but for overall growth I believe heavy dips with the same width of 700mm is a splendid exrcise to help the bench along as you receive more movement around the shoulder.

A lot of guys with blown shoulders actually prefer reverse grip.

It is legal in some powerlifting federations, including WPC and GPC.

I played around for 2 weeks about a month ago. I really liked them. Found it really easy to pause on the chest. I have a feeling that I may actually be stronger with the reverse grip bench press as my groove is utterly hilarious but I could still bench 80kg pretty comfortably. Here is a good article on it that you'll like:

ChAoS & PAIN: The Art Of The Reverse Grip Bench Press

Awesome for tricep strength.

We do them close grip with elbows brushing torso.

Great exercise.

Yeah had a play with them today and they do feel great for triceps. Can't do a lot of lower body at the moment so smashing out a lot of pressing in my quest for a non spastic bench.

Last edited:

So far feels ok for shoulder. Already doing dips and its not replacing them. Just looking for something else to try and get strong at that will help my pressing.

I trained with 3 200kg benchers (in comp), one weighs 89, one weighs 97.

The both smashed reverse grip every bench session.

I think the shoulders like it as the elbows get tucked so far.

.... Think flared elbows = shoulder issues, so tucked elbows must be better

I think the shoulders like it as the elbows get tucked so far.

.... Think flared elbows = shoulder issues, so tucked elbows must be better

Agree, flared elbows or wide grip is no good for me. Basically I have been doing a shit load pressing that doesn't hurt my shoulder. Overhead, incline, floor, dips, dumbbells, log. No actual bench because doing it too long tends to fuck me up. Hitting PBs in all pressing currently so ill see if it carries over to bench at some stage.

Reverse grip seems like a great exercise to get strong at.

I love it.

The one thing I hate, or love to hate, is my triceps just..... Stop.

Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, nothing.

Did a fair few sets today and liked it. Can really feel it in the tris and lats. It's a similar enough exercise to normal bench that there is almost no way that it wouldn't carry over.

I love it.

The one thing I hate, or love to hate, is my triceps just..... Stop.

Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, nothing.

I have seen this exact thing in a gym. Guy doing inclines with 35kg bells and his mate was spotting under the elbows. The lifter got stuck about half way and the spotter held the elbow in place for a second or two and the tricep just died and the lifter copped a dumbell in the side of the head.

Reverse is good for the horseshoe in your triceps if the hand span is correct.
Old technique.
Its a good finisher feels good then creeps all of a sudden (nothin)
Regards,
G.