• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Routine critique/advice

ozzy

I've been lifting for about a year, but really only seriously strength training and gaining decent knowledge (learning how to squat and pull) in the last 6 months.

Started trying to gain mass during Nov-Dec, saw some awesome strength progression, but went a bit overboard in the kitchen, and just ate everything, added a fair bit of fat, so been cutting since new years. Going back to adding mass soon, but being a bit more sensible with nutrition this time round.

29yo, 6'4", currently 108kg, ~20%bf (was 115 end of Dec). Never tested my 1RMs but I was doing 3x5reps and I got my squat up to 120, deads 130, press 50 & bench 67.5. Future goals are size and strength.

This is what I've got planned as far as routine goes when I start adding mass again. As you can see each day is based around a strength progression on the 4 main compound lifts, I've then tried to mix it up a bit with some volume and some hypertrophy focused sets. Let me know what you think.

MONDAY

BENCH 5x5
DB BENCH 3x12
DB PULLOVER 2x20
TRI PUSHDOWNS 3x12
TRI ROPE 2x20

TUESDAY

CONDITIONING
AB WORK

WEDNESDAY

SQUAT 5x5
F/SQUAT 3x10
CALF SUPERS (SEATED & STANDING)
INCLINE DB CURLS 3x12
21s x3

THURSDAY

REST OR LIGHT CONDITIONING

FRIDAY

PRESS 5x5
INCLINE DB PRESS 3x12
UPRIGHT ROWS 3x12
DB SHRUGS 2x20
FACE PULLS 3x12

SATURDAY

DEADS 5x5 HEAVY & 3x10 LIGHT (ALTERNATING WEEKLY)
LAT PULLS 3x12
BB ROWS 3x12
DB ROWS 3x12
SEATED ROWS 3x12

SUNDAY

REST

I'm trying to limit leg work to the main stuff, my legs are fucking huge compared to my upper body, so am kinda focusing on upper body this time round. Looking for advice with the mixing up of volume, my thinking here is that the areas where I'm throwing in some volume is where I was lagging with size, and after reading some of Fadi's advice on here, I'm throwing in the volume, see how it works for me?

Cheers

Honestly id be surprised if doing anything than a beginners strength program for the next 2-3 months would be optimal.

Either the marcos/ptc beginners program on this forum or starting strength and get your upper body lifts moving and squat up to 140.

From there, take one of the off the shelf intermediate programs such as texas method or PPP or whatever and go from there.

I don't like it. I don't care how big you think your legs are, its nearly always in your head. Do more leg work or you'll never get stronger.

Add more squats on DL day, and some SLDLs or GMs to both that and squat day. Toss some back work in on your chest day and lose one of the tri exercises. You're got presses coming out of your arsehole so they won't need much more work.

But really you should just do a 3x a week full-body style program.

Eg. The GCB Special

Workout A
Squats 5x10
Bench 3x10
SLDLs 3x15
Rows 3x10
Chins and Dips superset 3 sets

Workout B
Deads 5x5
Mil Press 3x10
Squats 5x10
Rows 3x10

Last edited:
It's like saying, " I'm going to eat a sandwich for my calves" or my legs are tired, I'll just sleep them tonight.
:)

I tried full body training but I didn't really like it. I really enjoy basing everything around these four lifts, I did a similar style last year and I was consistently putting on 5kg each week on the squat and dead. I like going in fresh on the big lift and smashing a new pb every week. This gave me massive motivation and mental push, which I really enjoyed and kept me excited.

I don't think my lower body size thing is in my head, my legs are 26" cold and not flexed, my arms are 14" cold and not flexed. I don't know, does that seem unbalanced? I don't have anything to compare it to.

I agree I'm probably going a bit overboard with tris. As for legs if I add more in I was thinking ghr and leg presses?

I don't like it. I don't care how big you think your legs are, its nearly always in your head. Do more leg work or you'll never get stronger.

Add more squats on DL day, and some SLDLs or GMs to both that and squat day. Toss some back work in on your chest day and lose one of the tri exercises. You're got presses coming out of your arsehole so they won't need much more work.

Eg. The GCB Special

Workout A
Squats 5x10
Bench 3x10
SLDLs 3x15
Rows 3x10

Workout B
Deads 5x5
Mil Press 3x10
Squats 5x10
Rows 3x10

Nice
However I'd do this.

Workout A

Mil Press 3x10
Squats 5x10
Rows 3x10
Bench 3x10
SLDLs 3x15

Workout B

dead 5x5
Leg-press 1x20
Rows 3x10
Farmer's

I tried full body training but I didn't really like it. I really enjoy basing everything around these four lifts, I did a similar style last year and I was consistently putting on 5kg each week on the squat and dead. I like going in fresh on the big lift and smashing a new pb every week. This gave me massive motivation and mental push, which I really enjoyed and kept me excited.

I don't think my lower body size thing is in my head, my legs are 26" cold and not flexed, my arms are 14" cold and not flexed. I don't know, does that seem unbalanced? I don't have anything to compare it to.

I agree I'm probably going a bit overboard with tris. As for legs if I add more in I was thinking ghr and leg presses?

If you legs are not twice the size of your arms then something is very wrong. Its in your head. They're not meant to be the same size. I'd say my legs are 3-4 times the size of my arms just from looking at them.

GHR is good. Fuck leg press, squat more.

If you insist on doing the lift split then ok, do what you enjoy.

This is the reason why I thought 0ni was in his 40's.. because surely the old men around here wouldn't go so hard out paying out a 16-18yo guy (or however young 0nus is).

Oz- do the routine for 12 weeks see how you go, then give freako or goose's routine a run for the same time. Compare results - would be interested, but I suspect it won't matter a great deal, at least in terms of size gains.

Last edited:
Oz- do the routine for 12 weeks see how you go, then give freako or goose's routine a run for the same time. Compare results - would be interested, but I suspect it won't matter a great deal, at least in terms of size gains.

You mean you don't think there would be a difference between training legs and not training legs? :confused:

I've been lifting for about a year, but really only seriously strength training and gaining decent knowledge (learning how to squat and pull) in the last 6 months.

Started trying to gain mass during Nov-Dec, saw some awesome strength progression, but went a bit overboard in the kitchen, and just ate everything, added a fair bit of fat, so been cutting since new years. Going back to adding mass soon, but being a bit more sensible with nutrition this time round.

29yo, 6'4", currently 108kg, ~20%bf (was 115 end of Dec). Never tested my 1RMs but I was doing 3x5reps and I got my squat up to 120, deads 130, press 50 & bench 67.5. Future goals are size and strength.

This is what I've got planned as far as routine goes when I start adding mass again. As you can see each day is based around a strength progression on the 4 main compound lifts, I've then tried to mix it up a bit with some volume and some hypertrophy focused sets. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Meanwhile back at the Ranch.

The program you posted seems respectable, I have written 'Ben-Eiko-5-3-1' a slightly more simplistic version of what you are following that is a little bit more geared towards strength training. You can download a free copy HERE

Cheers for the replies, good to see the thread got cleaned up. Nothing I didn't expect on a lifting forum, comes with the territory.

After looking a bit closer at the leg volume I agree its way too low. I think what I'll do is take out the seated rows and put in 5x10 squats on the Saturday and add 5x10 hyper extensions/gm on the Wednesday.

As I said, I enjoy doing a split, and I was happy with my strength progression on a split late last year. I realise that it is accepted gospel at the present that beginners should stick to full body routines, but I get more enjoyment out of a split, so fuck it, shoot me.

Once again thanks for the replies, I hope I didn't rustle too many jimmies, brah!!

Eg. The GCB Special

Workout A
Squats 5x10
Bench 3x10
SLDLs 3x15
Rows 3x10

Workout B
Deads 5x5
Mil Press 3x10
Squats 5x10
Rows 3x10

Fark!!!!

This looks brutal... Can see myself doing it in the future...