• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Setting goals

Kyle Aaron

In physical training we hear a lot about what sorts of workouts to do, what supplements to take and so on. We don't often hear about the most important part: the mind, the decision to do something and the resolve to stick with it all.

Setting goals is an important part of physical training. To get anywhere in life, you have to know where you are and where you want to go.

However, many journeys are long ones, so along with the destination we set other smaller goals along the way. If I set out to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide, I don't just get in the car and start driving, I get out the map and figure out how long the whole journey will take me, where I should stop for lunch and where I should stop to refuel, I plan the route so I don't end up in any dead ends or get lost along the way.

We need to do this with physical training as well. The problem is that while we have detailed maps of the route between Melbourne and Adelaide, we don't have a detailed map of the route between (say) a 60kg weakling and a 90kg strong person. We don't know how far it really is, how long it'll take to get there, and what twists and turns and hills there'll be in the road in between. So that lots of people get lost, and end up turning around and going home.

Many people enter physical training with vague goals like "I want to get in shape" or "I want to tone up." Because they're not really sure where they're going they find it hard to get there, and even though they make progress and achieve a lot, they don't feel they're achieving a lot. "I lifted 5kg more in the bench this week, so what I am still fat and not really strong."

So what I am saying is that we all need some grand end goal, but we also need little goals along the way. This helps keep us going in the right direction. The problem is that when we begin, we often don't know what sorts of goals to set, what is realistic and reasonable, how long it'll all take and how much effort we'll have to put in.

This is I think where more experienced and trained people can really help. "No mate you probably won't bench your bodyweight in the first week, but if you can't do it after 2 years of training then something is wrong," that sort of thing.

Thoughts?

I agree that when first starting out it can be hard to set goals. You do not know what is achievable and basically what you are doing, some advice is best used here. I wish someone taught me about 5x5 when I first started instead of listening to friends who gave me split routines.

As time goes on your goals change (of course). I started off wanting to build a muscular body, now I still want that but my focus has shifted between that and also strength. I think sticking to your goals is a good way to make sure you are progressing and getting results.

I see the problem peole have setting goals is that they fail too many times so they don't set goals to avoid failure, sad but true, I sometimes fit this description.
I will set new and attainable goals once holiday is over which is only 7 days away.

Personally I like to set high goals. I like achievements and I am driven by results.

Fisrtly set your main goal, this the end result and could be anything, earn a million $ or look like Rambo, write a book, anything.

Then break up the main goal to smaller achieveable goals, step by step untill you get what you want. Evertime you reach a "achieveable" goal reward yourself for a job well done.

Sorry to state the obvious, but I do belive in setting attainable goals.

By the way if it were me going from Melb to Adel I'd give myself a couple of days for detours It's fun to explore too.

I am not talking about impossible goals, I am talking about goals where I have to push myself hard.

I grew up skateboarding and got to a pretty decent level. That has really taught me alot about what I can achieve and what I can do when I set my mind/body to it. Nothing is impossible!

Well done Josh on the boarding. Thats what i mean Its best to set smaller goals to achive your main goal.

Sorry if you thought my post was aimed at you, coz it wern't.:)
My wife is allways saying my "people" skills need work and I guess it carries over onto my posts.

Don't worry Mike, I did not take that as a direct comment to me. Just a contribution to the thread.

I know all people are different, and different goals suit different people.

Thoughts?

Love that post; truely professional. Thank you Kyle.

My only thought on this issue and it's something that has affected me personally, is that proper guidance would serve greatly if it is attached to every goal before it's taken. I may be looking at "goal" as another form of "decisive decision".

I think Shrek may have alluded to something like that in his reply but not in so many words; am I right Shrek? (I could be wrong of course).

Again, great thread; many thanks.

Fadi.

Yes, I agree. Experienced and/or qualified people can offer us help in setting our goals both long and short-term. They know what's a realistic goal, for one thing ;)

the only useful thing i learnt in my 2 months at business school was S.M.A.R.T

the goals are to be:

Specific
Measurable
Achieveable
Realistic
Timely

The best thing to do is write your goals down and/or make them public.

Here are mine for the next 12ish months
Squat 215kg+
Bench 160kg
Deadlift 260kg+
Clean and Jerk 140kg - 150kg

I am going to have to start one of these online journals. I'll wait until I start this compound hell that is about to be on me.

Talking about setting goals. I am seriously going to bust my ass to see if I can do this by the end of next year. I have smaller steps to break them down but this is the main goals.

Squat double bodyweight152Squat 1.5 times bodyweight x 20 114Bench press 1.5 times bodyweight 114Bench press bodyweight x 10 76Deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight 190Standing strict military press bodyweight 76Clean & push press bodyweight x 5 7615 dead hang wide grip chins Powerclean 1.2 times bodyweight 91.2

All in KG. I have left a message for a strength and conditioning place here in Aus, the wheels are in motion!

the only useful thing i learnt in my 2 months at business school was S.M.A.R.T

the goals are to be:

Specific
Measurable
Achieveable
Realistic
Timely
The "achieveable" has always been a problem - can something be achieveable but not realistic? Realistic but not achieveable? That's the problem with making an acronym from a word, you always get something that doesn't quite fit. The best "A" in that is "action plan" - you have a plan to achieve the goals.

I guess "accountable" that Josh mentioned, that could also be a useful aspect of goal-setting. If you're accountable to yourself and/or others in some way, that helps.

"Timely" is a bit silly, too - "timed" is better, so you have a deadline.

"I want to tone up" is vague. "I want to gain 5cm on my chest, lose 5cm from my waist, and do it in three months" will for most overfat beginners be specific, measurable, it's certainly realistic, and they have a timed deadline... and it's easy to come up with an action plan for it.

lol yea, A and R were really just fillers. Accountable is alright but I guess the key focus is Specific, Measurable and Timed. Knowing where you want to be by when and knowing if you're progressively getting there.

The "achieveable" has always been a problem - can something be achieveable but not realistic? Realistic but not achieveable? That's the problem with making an acronym from a word, you always get something that doesn't quite fit. The best "A" in that is "action plan" - you have a plan to achieve the goals.

I guess "accountable" that Josh mentioned, that could also be a useful aspect of goal-setting. If you're accountable to yourself and/or others in some way, that helps.

"Timely" is a bit silly, too - "timed" is better, so you have a deadline.

"I want to tone up" is vague. "I want to gain 5cm on my chest, lose 5cm from my waist, and do it in three months" will for most overfat beginners be specific, measurable, it's certainly realistic, and they have a timed deadline... and it's easy to come up with an action plan for it.

What is "achievable" and "realistic"
You won't know until you try.
I think it's good to write some outrageous goals too.
Even if you get 70% or 80% of it, you will have done very well.

It's important to reasses once in a while too.
If you're slightly straying from your course, you need to get back on it to reach your destination.

Well, "realistic" ties in with the "time" bit. Remember we give ourselves deadlines for goals. Saying "um, some time in the future" is pointless, we'll never get there. We need to put a date to things. And that date helps determine if the goal can realistically be achieved or not.

Like in my class we were discussing this stuff, the teacher got us all to make a goal to achieve by the end of the course - mid-November or so.

I said, "I currently run 5km in under 30'00", I will run it in under 25'00"." Given four months, that's a realistic goal.

But my mate taking the piss said, "Ah, I want to be UFC heavyweight champion."
"And what would be the first step towards that?" asked the teacher.
"I'd have to start fighting," he replied.

Going from not fighting at all to UFC Heavyweight champion in four months is not a realistic goal. Five years might be more reasonable, I guess. So then his first goal would be to get into fighting, then within two years compete at some level and win, and so on. Which would lead to other goals like putting on 40kg of weight - he's not a heavyweight now - and so on.

I agree it's important to reassess as you go, not just because you might be straying from your course, but because as you go along the way you find your goals changing. For example, someone might begin weight training because they want to "tone up", but six months later with some good strength gains and physique changes they find they want to compete in bodybuilding, or powerlifting or something.