• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shit going down in the USA

PTC

While I was over in the States in August/September this year, I had a chance to speak to hundreds of lifters, coaches, gym owners and judges.

I learned about a Fed called Raw Unity, and I decided there and then I would try and emulate them.

Raw Unity brings together lifters from every Fed to compete against each other, its a brilliant idea, they are up to Raw Unity 4.

Here is what is currently going down in the States

The IPF, USAPL, and the Raw Unity Powerlifting Championships | Powerlifting Watch

Geez, it must have got real bad overnight, they deleted every single post lol

Kind of makes this thread useless now.

I see that the IPF were trying to eliminate lift offs on the bench, the lifter would have to unrack the weight alone.

I dont think a rule like this would ever be passed though. Its great for the guy benching 140kg, but what about those benching 300kg?

I looked at the link and the pdf of the IPF meeting where they decided new weight categories. No reason was given for this. Why change it?

To be objective, I think they have hopes of getting PL into the Olympics.

If indeed that is the case, then I hope they are successful, the sport will gain in popularity.

If that is not their motivation then their actions seem dubious

yeah- there is lots wrong with all of this. The stance on Raw Unity looks bad.
The new weight classes are apparently based on stats relating to participation- it was argued that, for the most part, the shw class was under-represented, as well as some others- the reduction of the number of classes is supposed to be about increasing competition (in terms of numbers per class).
It seems like every year there is some new crap that comes up.
I'm just going to bury my head in the sand. Its just lifting weights, la la la la, its just lifting weights la la la...

Last edited:

If indeed that is the case, then I hope they are successful, the sport will gain in popularity.

If that is not their motivation then their actions seem dubious

Did the IOC ever say they wanted a change to weight classes? Ribic, the athletes rep on the exec said it was never part of the conversation. The Olympic thing seems to be used to justify all sorts of reform and change- when the reason given for non-inclusion was the rate of drug failures. I heard the push for less classes related to world games- where they already use less- so it doesn' really make sense.
I love the IPF in many respects, but hotel scams, dodgey wrangling on the exec, constant changing of rules . . . it gets me frustrated at times.

Last edited:
You guys know I think that reducing the number of weight classes and eliminating age divisions will create more competition. I'm all for that, its why I started ProRaw.

But I didnt destroy decades of lifting by wiping World Records from the books. This is the only downfall I see to be honest, but its a massive one.

For the life of me, I cant see the IPF moves bringing more lifters to their Feds, they will obviously lose plenty. More to the fact they stop them competing at comps like Raw Unity.

Raw Unity has the right idea. Politics have no place, lets see the best compete against each other.

Just imagine a 110kg+ class with

Steve Pritchard
Gawain Johnstone
Odell Manuel
Derek Boyer
George McLaren
Big Jason from QLD
Matt from WA

You guys know I think that reducing the number of weight classes and eliminating age divisions will create more competition. I'm all for that, its why I started ProRaw.

But I didnt destroy decades of lifting by wiping World Records from the books. This is the only downfall I see to be honest, but its a massive one.

For the life of me, I cant see the IPF moves bringing more lifters to their Feds, they will obviously lose plenty. More to the fact they stop them competing at comps like Raw Unity.

Raw Unity has the right idea. Politics have no place, lets see the best compete against each other.

Steve Pritchard
Gawain Johnstone
Odell Manuel
Derek Boyer
George McLaren
Big Jason from QLD
Matt from WA

I have a chubby...

Steve Pritchard
Gawain Johnstone
Odell Manuel
Derek Boyer
George McLaren
Big Jason from QLD
Matt from WA

I've got a friend coming to spectate for this very reason.

Personally, I think that PL has f*ck all chance of getting to the olympics. The IOC is hardly going to want another drug-prone sport tarnishing the reputation of the games.

And PL, with the exception of perhaps the deadlift, isn't telegenic enough, primarily due to the presence of spotters. Not to mention the difficulty in getting consistent judging.

Last edited:

Steve Pritchard
Gawain Johnstone
Odell Manuel
Derek Boyer
George McLaren
Big Jason from QLD
Matt from WA

If that couldnt draw a crowd, nothing could!

Here is another new rule thats just been passed by the IPF

World records may now only be set at a World or Regional contest. No more WRs at National meets.

This makes it pretty expensive for a PA lifter to set a WR in the IPF now.

I actually like this rule, the judging would be top notch at these events, giving the lifts even more credibility.

Personally, I think that PL has f*ck all chance of getting to the olympics. The IOC is hardly going to want another drug-prone sport tarnishing the reputation of the games.

And PL, with the exception of perhaps the deadlift, isn't telegenic enough, primarily due to the presence of spotters. Not to mention the difficulty in getting consistent judging.

Pretty much every sport I can think of is drug-prone.

Many of the sports at the Olympics are not telegenic, are boring as batsh1t to watch and are played by very few people. Lifting weights on the other hand is a very popular sport.

Many Olympics sports are hard to judge as well. Some are even completely subjective.

I reckon the squat would go if ever powerlifting made it to the olympics.