• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SLDL and Doms

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
So I am doing SLDL after squats for an assistance movement but they are really starting to give me severe doms all the time. They are the only exercise I still get severe doms with and it is starting to be quite bad, as in it is starting to affect my ability to do normal tasks such as go to work and walk properly. I squat Mondays and my hams are still sore by the following Monday, its ridiculous.

Should I do another movement?

If so what? (I have only limited equipment, barbell and adj dumbells).

Or is it enough to work hams indirectly with my squats and deadlifts?

Or should I just stop sooking and keep doing them anyway? :)()

What are your opinions guys

Graeme

That's very cool.

How long have you been doing this?

If you have only been doing this for a short period of time it is nothing to worry about.

If you have been experiencing this pain continuously after a month of training, I'd suggest you do a very light set of twenty not to fatigue the following day and even maybe the next day.

And congratulations, you are doing the exercise correctly if you are feeling it.

The SLDL is quite a difficult exercise to master.

That's very cool.

How long have you been doing this?

If you have only been doing this for a short period of time it is nothing to worry about.

If you have been experiencing this pain continuously after a month of training, I'd suggest you do a very light set of twenty not to fatigue the following day and even maybe the next day.

Yeh only about a month on this program Andy but I was doing them on the previous program too (so about 4 months worth), so not completely new to them, but I haven't felt doms like this before, doing the PPP program really brings it out. Excellant suggestion on the lighter reps the next day, I didn't think of that. Now I think about it, I think Fadi wrote about doing this sometimes to alleviate the soreness and flush the muscle with fresh blood.
Am I on the right track here?

G

I've just started doing 3 x 12 SLDL as assistance on my Squat PPP days as well. I do them on Wednesdays and im still sore by Friday when l need to deadlift. Im only into week two so im hoping l stop getting sore after a while but its nothing near as bad as what you're describing.

Yeh only about a month on this program Andy but I was doing them on the previous program too (so about 4 months worth), so not completely new to them, but I haven't felt doms like this before, doing the PPP program really brings it out. Excellant suggestion on the lighter reps the next day, I didn't think of that. Now I think about it, I think Fadi wrote about doing this sometimes to alleviate the soreness and flush the muscle with fresh blood.
Am I on the right track here?

G

I have no idea what causes DOMS but I do know from experience that it progressively gets worse and peaks around 48 hours after the event.

Doing a light set the next day elliviates the soreness to a great degree.

What is telling you- is the the muscleture worked in the the SLDL is not targeted through the conventional ones.

What is telling you- is the the muscleture worked in the the SLDL is not targeted through the conventional ones.

Hmm, very good point there Andy.

I think I'll stick it out and add some light 'recovery' reps the day after and see how that goes. I do like the SLDL, and doing them has helped immensely with my flexibility and squat depth.

KungFooGoo said:
I've just started doing 3 x 12 SLDL as assistance on my Squat PPP days as well. I do them on Wednesdays and im still sore by Friday when l need to deadlift. Im only into week two so im hoping l stop getting sore after a while but its nothing near as bad as what you're describing.

Mate I'm on wk5 and it has slowly got worse, but I am a sook :p.

Graeme

Sldl and scarecrows (one leg SLDL) give me the worst DOMS of anything. Felt like someone slashed a rusty knife across my hammies.
You will find most DOMS are caused during eccentric phase of a movement.
Ice, PW Protein, massage, stretching, recovery exercise (consider cycling) can all help a little.
Drop the weight a bit, control the movement better, especially if you do them after squats / DLs (when your associated muscles are already fatigued.)

Having said that, if you get the pain for another month and you are not progressing weight, find a good sports physio.

Good mornings are the same.. lol
fucking all up my crotch round my ass, hamstrings, calves, lower back, upper back
fucking everywhere

SLDL and Doms
Please keep in mind that delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is not exercise specific/related, but rather unusual muscle stress related. For me, it reaches its peak at the 36 hour mark before starting to subside; others may be different in their DOMS experiences.

Example:
You always walk up the stair one step at a time, but for some reason today, you've decided to walk taking two steps at a time. Results: DOMS in your hammies.

The above is based on my experience as I'm working on my cardio-respiratory/lower body musculature program of stair climbing (176 steps at a time). I'm looking forward for some extreme DOMS as I progress into upping the intensity with some weights. I'll write about this program when I complete it myself.

Fadi.

Last edited: