• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

slow/fast twitching muscles

mike367

I've just heard something about "slow twitching or fast twitching" muscles.
Apparently slow twitchers should be exercised quickly and fast ones slowly.
Anybody know anything about it?

Its a lot more complicated than what I'm about to post - but I'll try to keep it short.

Fast twitch muscle fibres use an anaerobic method of producing energy to contract the muscle - the system for doing this is quite quick and hence the muscle can be contracted quickly - however the process also produces a lot of byproducts that block the receptors that cause contraction - thus the muscle fibre fatigues quickly.

Slow twitch muscle fibres use an aerobic method (ATP transfer) to generate the energy for contraction and produces less by products than the anaerobic method. This means the muscle can contract over a longer period without fatigue however the ATP cycle is quite long compared to the various anaerobic processes and hence the muscle cannot fire quickly.

I've not read any of the latest research but about 2 years ago when I was reading through stuff about fast/slow twitch fibres there was a raging debate about whether the fibre percentage was purely genetic or could be altered with training. Considering the way the body works, I'd say training would affect the percentage but genetics also plays a role.

Basically if you seem to be good at endurance sports then you probably have more slow twitch, if you are good at explosive force stuff then probably have more fast twitch.

Good post Delta,
It's probably a good idea to train both fast and slow twitch fibres but most people don't.
I will one day.:(

Good post Delta,
It's probably a good idea to train both fast and slow twitch fibres but most people don't.
I will one day.:(
Do you mean I should train all muscles slow one week then quick the next? or are different muscles fast/slow twitchers?
I normanly train at a steady pace neither fast or slow, except the last couple of reps when I'm pushing hard.

Just finished week 6 of the 5x5 routine, great routine I love it!!!

Traning fast and slow twitch muscle fibre refers to the amount of reps perfomed, not the speed in which they are performed.
Slow twitch or type 1 fibres are generally hit in the rep range of 12-20 whilste fast twitch or type 2 fibres are hit in short heavy lifting, in the rep range of 1-5.

Probably a good idea to vary your training every 6-8 weeks or so with both types of training

Last edited:
I see, so I'll finish the 5x5 then go back to my old routine (with more reps), then back to the 5x5 and so on.
Thanks Shrek,
Mike