• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Smiths Machine Squats

This is the guy who invented the smith machine, age 95.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7dd_1231867743

Last edited:
*shrug*

Everyone has some weakness or injury which prevents their doing squats and deadlifts. Strangely, no-one has a weakness or injury which prevents their doing bench press or biceps curls.

I didn't jump straight into squats and deadlifts, I worked up to them with other exercises, and did it all with a physio's advice - advice which more than one person here and several people in my class told me was bull****. Everyone was of the opinion that I should either never do squats and deadlifts, or else do them straight away.

If you have medical advice, you should definitely follow it to the letter. But most people don't get medical advice. They just say, "that's hard... it hurts" and stop.

Too much whinging, not enough lifting.

Well, to prevent you from doing squats, you could have ankle/knee/hip/back problems, deadlift, pretty much the same, for bicep curls and bench the only problems you could have are shoulders/wrists/elbow. There's more to consider when doing DL's and squats. But I do agree with you that too many people 'say' they are injured when they aren't.

*EDIT* I love it how everyone turned into a "hard man" ever since Markos joined, very influential ain't he?

*EDIT* I love it how everyone turned into a "hard man" ever since Markos joined, very influential ain't he?

When you see women lifting more than you and an old guy left for dead by the quacks toughing it out it aint hard to be influenced;)

Well, to prevent you from doing squats, you could have ankle/knee/hip/back problems, deadlift, pretty much the same, for bicep curls and bench the only problems you could have are shoulders/wrists/elbow.
The shoulder is one of the most injured joints in the human body. The large range of motion it has also means it has quite loose ligaments, so the muscles have to hold it together. Thus all that stuff you hear about "rotator cuff" - the weakest muscles in the chain.

I have had people tell me that they can't squat because it hurts their shoulders... but they bench every workout.

I do agree with you that too many people 'say' they are injured when they aren't.

I love it how everyone turned into a "hard man" ever since Markos joined, very influential ain't he?
I don't think I've changed my tone since I started here, which is before Markos (I believe he found this place because I started linking to his newsletters). I am not a hard man. I just have some resolve - I decided to do a workout programme while following the advice of my physio, and I stuck to that.

I got my tone and attitude from the Army. There, you go for a run, you fall down.

NCO: "Are you injured or sick?"
Recruit: "I'm tired..."
Recruit: "No."
NCO: "Then get the fck up and keep going."

Alternately,
Recruit: "Yes."
NCO: "Okay, I'll help you up and we'll go straight over to the Regimental Aid Post to get you checked out."

It is bad to be a wuss and give up just because you're tired. It is equally bad to try to be so hard that you push through and injure yourself.

Let's be honest: we usually do know when it's just hard, and when we've injured ourselves. Lazy people pretend injury when it's hard, stupid people keep going when they're injured.

We should not be lazy or stupid. Don't be a wuss, but do take care of yourself.

Sweet as, good to know you're hard at least..

Personally I don't lift too heavy as I don't want to get injured (still young and have no wish on becoming a paralytic because of deadlifting too much to show that I am a hardass).

At the moment I'm working with 1.5x BW deads, 1.2x BW squats and 1x BW bench for reps. Don't intend on going much higher anytime soon.

Hey Kyle. When you have given 110% and you fall down, then start vomitting because you have over done it do they let you rest?

Was not making a point really, just stating who invented it and I dont think that weights are the key to longevity.

Sweet as, good to know you're hard at least.
Not hard, just resolved.

howzit said:
At the moment I'm working with 1.5x BW deads, 1.2x BW squats and 1x BW bench for reps. Don't intend on going much higher anytime soon.
I reckon those are quite respectable, and will be more than enough strength for day-to-day life and recreational sports. I got up to those weights recently, but I think I'd gone a bit too hard too fast, have now had to drop back. My eventual goals are DL1.75/SQ1.5/B1.25. That's a bit more strength than I really need, but there's the "look the part" aspect for a PT.
-LJ- said:
Hey Kyle. When you have given 110% and you fall down, then start vomitting because you have over done it do they let you rest?
You cannot give more than 100%, that's Seppo-talk nonsense.

If you're sick or injured, then you stop and get treatment. If you vomit, you're sick. So you stop.

Remember also that all Australia's military bases are in areas which can get quite hot. Vomiting means a loss of fluids, so that running on after vomiting in 35 degree heat... bad idea. Soldiers have died doing that sort of thing, hyperthermia (heat exhaustion, sunstroke) is nasty stuff.

Sometimes there'll be competitions, "best rifle section", that sort of thing, you might then see soldiers throwing up and keeping going anyway. The military's just like everyone else in that respect - during training, take no risks, during competition, push it to the limit then clean up the mess afterwards.

Saw another person doing the hack squat on the smiths machine again today. If they wanted to do a hack squat why not just use the machine listed instead as the gym has one of those.

Ask them. Just say, "I'm pretty new to weight training and still learning. Why do you use that machine like that instead of this other one?"

Nine times out of ten there is no reason, and however brilliant you are they'll learn nothing from you. But one time in ten at least one of you learns something. And the other nine times it helps you get through the rest between sets.