• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

so many squats?

thechosenone

Just looking at the programs and noticing it says to squat each workout 3 sets , 3 times a week? Wont this overtrain ur legs?

No.

And, in fact, it will help develop the rest of your physique for the growth hormone it will produce.

Can't do lots? Do squats...

Cheers,
Mike

Just looking at the programs and noticing it says to squat each workout 3 sets , 3 times a week? Wont this overtrain ur legs?
Provided you do not stay up all night drinking booze and popping e-tabs then have McD's for breakfast, you will be able to recover from squatting 3 times a week.

Recovery is about good rest and good food.

Provided you do not stay up all night drinking booze and popping e-tabs then have McD's for breakfast, you will be able to recover from squatting 3 times a week.

Recovery is about good rest and good food.

personally, i don't think squatting 3 times a week works for everyone.

when i was doing it, i started having problems with my hip flexors (i think). they weren't recovering enough in time and were constantly sore to the point i couldn't sit down comfortably. i should note that i don't drink, and was sleeping and eating well at the time.

this may not necessarily have been a squatting issue, it could have been a flexibility issue or something else. it was just my experience with it.

An 80kg squatter can go all day because the lift is more a neutral/co-ordination issue than a muscular one.

Flexibility would be the main issue with hip flexors, it is for many people.

Plus technique, whether your squat is mainly from the knees or mainly from the hips. The primary hip flexor is the rectus femoris, this is the middle muscle of the quads, which also extends the knee. Given that our Western lifestyle involves sitting on our bums, most people will squat more from the knees - using among others the rectus femoris, or the hip flexor and knee extensor - than from the hips - using glutes and hamstrings. So they'll hurt there.

Or it could be other stuff you were doing, too. There's a difference between squatting 3 times a week and doing nothing else, and squatting 3 times a week and playing footy twice a week, or running 5km 3 times a week, or whatever.

I started 20 rep squats again on Wednesday, my hip flexors still hurt today. But they are usually quite tight, I also cycle 20km twice a week, and spend a fair chunk of my leisure time sitting down, so this is not a big surprise.

we should do a smolov challenge some time this year.

I'll do it.

Smolov is 4 days a week actually. While we're on the subject...the 2nd week is of some interest. Most articles say add 10kgs to what you did in week one. Depending on what weight you used, that changes what % that turns into.

Week 1, Day 1 you do 4 sets of 9 reps @ 70%. Week 2, Day 1 you add 10kg onto that weight. If in week one it was 90kg, then week 2 would be 100. That means in week 2 it's 78%. If you had done 110kg in the first week, week two would be 120kg, meaning it would be 76%. If in week 1 you had done 75kg, week 2 would be 85kg (or 80%).

Sorry the ramble.

Squatting three times a week could be not so good, depending on a number of factors including activities inside & outside of the gym.

I'll do it.

Smolov is 4 days a week actually. While we're on the subject...the 2nd week is of some interest. Most articles say add 10kgs to what you did in week one. Depending on what weight you used, that changes what % that turns into.

Week 1, Day 1 you do 4 sets of 9 reps @ 70%. Week 2, Day 1 you add 10kg onto that weight. If in week one it was 90kg, then week 2 would be 100. That means in week 2 it's 78%. If you had done 110kg in the first week, week two would be 120kg, meaning it would be 76%. If in week 1 you had done 75kg, week 2 would be 85kg (or 80%).

Sorry the ramble.

Squatting three times a week could be not so good, depending on a number of factors including activities inside & outside of the gym.

Yeah I don't think I could ever get away with squatting heavy 3 times a week given my other interests hinder my weightlifting recovery

As kyle said, squatting three times a week & playing AFL a few days a week is going to make things PRETTY tough. Sure you could make yr diet right & stuff...but still...mechanics are mechanics

I think some of it is mental, and then some of it is your body adapting

If you told me the first time I went and saw Markos I would do 4 days this week with him I wouldn't have believed it. However, everyone does have their limits