• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Split gym vs home

faff

As I only get a limited time at the gym on Mon-Wed-Fri, I am considering splitting my program so I can do some exercises Tue-Thur-Sat, but at home in my own time - i cannot attend the gym on these days.
Ideally these would only need limited equipment - ie I don't want to buy heaps of equipment which the gym already has. Plus the equipment I do buy for home should not take up too much space. For example: chin up bar, dip belt + weights. Not expensive to acquire and tiny footprint at my house.
Any recommendations of unobtrusive equipment/exercises which make a logical split from the gym exercises?
Thanks!

Agree on the rings.
They would have to be the most compact piece of equipment available, but so versatile.

You can do pull ups, inverted rows, push ups, flyes, dips and so much more.

rings depends on your level of ability/training. 6 months ago I couldnt do pretty much anything on the rings, just didnt have the strength. Nows a different story.

A squat stand, barbell + weights and some KBs dont take up a lot of space.

3 days per week weight training should be sufficient.
How about going for a walk 2 days per week between weight sessions, no need for more weight training.

I didn't mention it, but I am also running a couple of time a week at work during lunch. Also, some of the guys at work climb stairs. We do about 100 floors during lunch once a week. It's quite a workout.
Ideally I would spend longer on my 3 days at the gym per week. But I can't, so I'd like to use my other days, just not at the gym.

Squat Stands
Barbell & Plates
Bench
A few kettlebells & Blocks
Chin Bar & Dip bar

What is limited time?

Fadi.

I am very happy if I can have 90 minutes, which includes top/from and shower, so maybe the workout itself can take 60-70 minutes. Often I get less time, so I drop the abs exercises.

I am very happy if I can have 90 minutes, which includes top/from and shower, so maybe the workout itself can take 60-70 minutes. Often I get less time, so I drop the abs exercises.

Faff, have you taken a look at this: http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9606-building-ultimate-muscle-machine-move-your-body-through-space-program-1-a.html

It's not really about time when you can distill your workout and keep only what is King. There's always a good exercises, a better exercise, and an alternative exercise. Write them down on a piece of paper for comparison purposes and do your choosing from there.

Fadi.

If you're bodybuilding you should be trying to limit the time in the gym anyway - Any more than 60 mins can actually be detrimental to your goals as cortisol levels start to increase.

45 minutes would be plenty. So you have 15 minutes to gossip with your mates.

Squat, bench, deadlift
Leg press, overhead press, chinups
Deadlift, incline bench, barbell row

Do a couple of warmup sets, then 3 sets of however many reps according to your goals, around 10 reps is fine. 6 warmup sets and 9 work sets, 15 in all, at 3 minutes each (1 minute to load up and lift, 2 minutes to rest), there you go, 45 minutes. Chuck in a 5 minute warmup and 10 minutes of post-workout stretching and there's 60 minutes. No worries.

I only workout at home, 3 days a week and <60min each time.

I use a barbell and free weights(also some dumbbells for variation). I now have a cage but got by for months with just a bench press bench. Best option for low cost/space usage would prob be squat stands and bench.

Squats, deadlift, military press, bb rows, bench press