• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

split sleep vs continuous sleep

BoyFromAus

In terms of recovery, is split sleep as effective as continuous sleep. So is sleeping in two 4 hour slots within a day as effective as sleeping for a continuous 8 hours?

From some info i've read, it suggests that within the first few hours of sleep, that's when the body releases the most testosterone and growth hormone. But it doesn't say anything about after the first few hours.

Thanks,

i would assume that levels of testosterone & Growth Hormone would slow down after peaking within the first few hours of sleep. With little (actually no) suggestive infomation, this is purely assumption based on what i've read & what makes sense. The levels of T & GH would not worth doing 2 lots of 4 hour sleep sessions. Don't forget, if you don't get enough sleep, you may secrete Cortisol

There are two main types of sleep. REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep is when you do most active dreaming & Non-REM (NREM) sleep which consists of four stages of deeper and deeper sleep. Each sleep stage is important for overall quality sleep, but deep sleep and REM sleep are especially vital.

A typical night of sleep follows this pattern:

Stage 1 (Drowsiness) - Stage 1 lasts just five or ten minutes. Eyes move slowly under the eyelids, muscle activity slows down, and you are easily awakened.
Stage 2 (Light Sleep) - Eye movements stop, heart rate slows, and body temperature decreases.
Stages 3 & 4 (Deep Sleep) - You’re difficult to awaken, and if you are awakened, you do not adjust immediately and often feel groggy and disoriented for several minutes. Deep sleep allows the brain to go on a little vacation needed to restore the energy we expend during our waking hours. Blood flow decreases to the brain in this stage, and redirects itself towards the muscles, restoring physical energy. Research also shows that immune functions increase during deep sleep.
REM sleep (Dream Sleep) – At about 70 to 90 minutes into your sleep cycle, you enter REM sleep. You usually have three to five REM episodes per night. This stage is associated with processing emotions, retaining memories and relieving stress. Breathing is rapid, irregular and shallow, the heart rate increases, blood pressure rises, males may have penile erections, and females may have clitoral enlargement.

From stage 1 to stage 4 is about an hour, you spend about 30-40 mins in deep sleep then come out of deep sleep into REM which usually ends the first full cycle after 2 hours of sleep. You then go through another similarly intensive cycle which last another 2 hours.

Quote from American Phychological Association: During REM sleep, the brain busily replenishes neurotransmitters that organize neural networks essential for remembering, learning, performance and problem solving. Conversely, depriving the brain of sleep makes you clumsy, stupid and unhealthy. Why? During REM sleep, the brain transfers short-term memories in the motor cortex to the temporal lobe to become long-term memories. Research suggests sleep spindles fire away as the temporal lobe makes sense of new information and stores it in long-term memory. Sleep spindles are one to two second bursts of brain waves that rapidly wax and wane at strong frequencies, so-called for the spike image they form on an EEG reading which occur during REM sleep.

Within the first 4 hours of sleep you would normally go between REM and deep sleep twice, so it may depend on your bodys ability to fully recover in that 4 hour (2 REM stages) sleep cycle and whether youre able to achive the same during your second 4 hour sleep cycle which will ultimately determine if your proposal is feasible. Sleep benefits four key areas they are:
Immune system.
Nervous system.
Brain cellular repair.
Hormone release.
If you really want to try to see if your body is up to the 2x4 sleep pattern, try it and if any of the above mentioned areas start to become affected if you start to get sick, you start to forget stuff frequently your body is always in pain or something associated with the 4 points above then I would say your body ain't up for it.

Hope that helps.

would all this still take place/be as effective for recovery if a sleeping aid was used to put you into sleep rather than falling asleep on your own?

The antihistamines used in OTC sleep aids can produce side effects. Effects can be stronger in older adults. As with any medication, it is advisable to consult with your doctor before taking over-the-counter sleep medication.

Common side effects of OTC sleep aids:
drowsiness the next day
dizziness and forgetfulness
clumsiness, feeling off balance
constipation and urinary retention
blurred vision
dry mouth and throat

In March 2007, FDA notified healthcare professionals of its request that all manufacturers of sedative-hypnotic drug products, strengthen their product labeling to include stronger language concerning potential risks. These risks include severe allergic reaction, severe facial swelling, complex sleep-related behaviors, memory lapses, and hallucinations. Sleep behaviors may include sleep-driving, driving while not fully awake after ingestion of a sedative-hypnotic product, with no memory of the event. Source: FDA News Release 2007

I had several years where I and lots of other people regularly had sleep in a few hours here and there.

None of us performed very well on multiple bouts of sleep rather than a single eight hours or so.

thanks for the fast and informative response kingpin. I was just curious about them because I used to use them long while ago before I found the gym January this year. I used to never be able to get to sleep after a long night drinking.

very good info kingpin. I'm going to give this a try for a few days and see how it goes.

The original question came to me because at work my manager has proposed a job offer with a pretty good bonus pay. The catch is that the job is 24-7 technician for one of the company's servers and all the software running on it. If anything fails (which happens commonly during the 11pm to 2am period a few times per week), i'd get a call from the technical support and will be expected to log on and fix it (which 95% of the time means logging on from home, and typing a command to restart the job or process). So if i'm sleeping, obviously i'd be getting up for an hour or so to fix this and then going back to sleep.

essentially,
rem = brain development and recovery
stage 1-3 (sometimes 4) = muscular recovery

in a nutshell

I use to support mission critical financial market systems for the largest investment bank. Eventually I got so sick of being called at 3am and on weekends I proposed a cluster based solution that would allow for auto fail over on critical faults i.e no downtime on applications. Ofcourse as the environment becomes stable the on-call allowance becomes rare and so its a win-lose situation where you get more sleep and you get your weekends back but you dont get that allowance. As a manager I ensure that all known fixes are documented so that operations only wakes people up when they encounter something that hasn't been documented...everyone wins except the guy counting on that on-call allowance.

Last edited:
I use to support mission critical financial market systems for the largest investment bank. Eventually I got so sick of being called at 3am and on weekends I proposed a cluster based solution that would allow for auto fail over on critical faults i.e no downtime on applications. Ofcourse as the environment becomes stable the on-call allowance becomes rare and so its a win-lose situation where you get more sleep and you get your weekends back but you dont get that allowance. As a manager I ensure that all known fixes are documented so that operations only wakes people up when they encounter something that hasn't been documented...everyone wins except the guy counting on that on-call allowance.

yea automating would be a good idea for when it fails. Although that catch is, some of the failing jobs are a thread within the software itself rather than an individual process running on the server. So automating those things would require changing the code... it could be a long term solution.

I would like to delegate the simple work to the technical support and give them documentation but security & risk at my company is quite stingy in terms of who they give system level access to. As a result, the best they can do is call me to trigger it off if it fails. Currently they call the System Admins to do so but the sys admins only know a limited amount about the software... so if things hit the fan, nothing much they can do about it. Plus, politics in my company plays a big role.. Sys admins don't want that extra responsibility.

I don't have to take this job, but the amount they pay for being on-call is pretty good. It's a fixed rate for just being on-call plus a rate for the hours put to fix a problem. So i'm just debating.. is something like this worth losing sleep over, or more precisely dividing sleep.