• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

splitting workout into two parts (same day)

Oh yeah, in an interview Ryan Kennelly states he trains 6 times a week as a bench only competitor.

It can certainly be done

Whether best for a 'weekend warrior' is an altogether different debate

Is this everyday as a maximal workout to improve general strength and condition, or more skills enhancing type template graham?

Could you be more specific please.

I mean all the best athletes in the world train with high volume and high frequency
But they are all athletes, not regular people
We should be doing what every mediocre athlete that hasn't achieved anything is doing
That makes perfect sense

So, train like the pros?

Like the muscle and fiction magazines, their pulling the wool over you young blokes eyes, hook line and sinker, but go right ahead do what they say, darkoz and I are also going by experience and we have nothing to sell.

Ryan Kennelly only has one max effort session a week IIRC
The rest are generally high volume sessions or assistance work

Also I've not been sold anything, I'm just saying that nothing clear cut
High school kids squat 500lb after a year of absolute car crash routines
A guy in my gym benches 160kg for a set of 10 and trains once a week
Westside guys do their method
Sheiko guys do practically the opposite and train up to 10 times a week very high volume
Chinese Olympic lifters hit 90% weights on the squat every day until they squat far above their best clean and jerk
All radically different methods except for one thing - the guys that train the hardest are often the strongest and most likely to achieve their goals

So, train like the pros?

Like the muscle and fiction magazines, their pulling the wool over you young blokes eyes, hook line and sinker, but go right ahead do what they say, darkoz and I are also going by experience and we have nothing to sell.

Obviously you guys have plenty of lifting experience and I know I have learnt plenty from your posts but have either of you ever trained with the goal of maximal strength in powerlifting or O lifting.

Obviously you guys have plenty of lifting experience and I know I have learnt plenty from your posts but have either of you ever trained with the goal of maximal strength in powerlifting or O lifting.

Bazza, I want to clarify difference between exercise and training please.

Just to be clear, I'm not debating the time one spends "skill training"

Strength is a skill
100% of time spent is developing the skill of strength in powerlifting
This is the strength section so what exactly are you debating?

Strength is not a skill.
Exercise, proper exercise produces quite a number of worthwhile results, one of them is strength 0ni, there are also about seven other benefits, if you would like me to go through those as well it would be a pleasure.

Jerky movements are directly responsible for a very high % of the injuries caused by exercise, and jerky movements serve no purpose for developing strength.

In this regard, Powerlifting is different to Olympic lifting.

But the source of the discussion here is that the op wants to just improve his strength and look good, as far as I can understand.

Last edited:
Strength is most definitely a skill
You get stronger by practising the exercises and teaching your body to be more efficient

Actually, i'd argue strength is party a skill (CNS learning) and partly muscular adaptation, at least in so far as strength is measured in the ability to perform an exercise with a given weight.

Arguably at professional levels, the CNS patterns are near perfect and thus strength gains are almost purely muscular adaptation and very small improvements in technique whereas a beginners strength gains are likely more technique and CNS learning movement patterns than muscular fiber gain.

My uneducated 2c anyway since it's my thread :)

Andy can you see my frustration when you use your 20+ years experience as an argument as to why a high frequency routine would not work when you have little to no experience with high frequency barbell lifting?

Andy can you see my frustration when you use your 20+ years experience as an argument as to why a high frequency routine would not work when you have little to no experience with high frequency barbell lifting?

0ni.

You are not making any sense.

I havnt got the time or enthusiasm to rifle through the thread and present the cliff notes for you.

Take from it what you will, try everything and apply that to the best of your ability.

High frequency does work, once you stop progressing there will need to be some aspects to address, could be nutrition or not enough recovery between workouts or both but the goals change constantly and we need to be aware that it is about the journey and not about the destination.

I'll be in the toilet if you need me.

Last edited:
Actually, i'd argue strength is party a skill (CNS learning) and partly muscular adaptation, at least in so far as strength is measured in the ability to perform an exercise with a given weight.

Arguably at professional levels, the CNS patterns are near perfect and thus strength gains are almost purely muscular adaptation and very small improvements in technique whereas a beginners strength gains are likely more technique and CNS learning movement patterns than muscular fiber gain.

My uneducated 2c anyway since it's my thread :)

The movement is a skill that gets more efficient and easier as we do it. I think that may have been what Andy was getting at.

I don't know why you would train chest or back in the AM, return in the PM later that day and train it again?

Maybe your not training hard enough perhaps?

The movement is a skill that gets more efficient and easier as we do it. I think that may have been what Andy was getting at.

The best way I could describe skill is, firstly- it may well be the single most important factor in any activity, but skill doesn't perform "work"
It's fascinating, but what it does do is provide the working muscles with the ability to work at a higher level of efficiency, sort of channels? The force produced by the muscl in the proper *direction* and help prevent waste of energy or power leaks in an unskilled performance.