• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats today or not?

Sandin Face

I feel like Homer Simpson, with a little angel and a little devil, one whispering into each ear - but I don't know which one is the angel, and which is the devil ...

I did some very light front squats on Thursday (http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?p=521807#post521807) - an exercise I hadn't done for years, and I had very painful muscle soreness in the lower back, bum, and legs all day yesterday, and still pretty bad this morning. I don't think I've damaged anything - just made myself bloody sore.

On Monday last, I did normal squats of 95kg, 5x5, which is on track for my program, and my schedule would have had me doing 96kg 5x5 yesterday.

So, should I do (or rather, try to do) these squats today? The argument against (expressed by one of my voices, and also my dear wife - who, btw, is not an exerciser) is "take a good rest, wait until you feel good again, and if you do a leg workout today, you'll hurt yourself even more, or even damage something, and you'd be a bloody idiot, and you won't get any sympathy from me this time!"

The other voice says "You're a lazy bastard, AND a wimp - just do it!"

What do yous experienced muscle types recommend?

Last edited:
If it's DOMS you don't need rest, if the pain is crippling and you can't walk wait an extra day, but do some air squatting (without the bar)

Thanks gents!

I compromised:

squats:
60k 5r,
80k 5r,
96k 5r 2s.

I felt I had no problem with leg strength, but I only did two sets of 96k because it was literally a real pain in the glutes! I couldn't go on because it hurts too much.

No back issues (yet, inshallah ...)

PS - jj - nice Xmas coloured plates you have for your dead-lift!

Last edited:
Keep to the program...

Your body will adapt quickly...

I tend to find that the doms is non existent once you get into it..

Next wall will be the acquired fatigue....

when my legs, lower back are feeling sore the pain normally dissipates after 1-2 warm up sets and I'm right to go heavy.