• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SS to split routine?

maxwolfie

Thinking of going to a BB split routine for Summer, now that I have a little more strength under me. I also want to get out on the bike more, something that I can't really do while squatting 3 x times a week.

Lifts as follows (all 3 x 5 as per SS):
Squat: 110kg (~124kg 1RM)
DL: 117.5kg (~132kg 1RM)
Bench press: 80kg (~90kg 1RM)
Press: 52.5kg (~59kg 1RM)

I'm looking to cut up a little now or in the next couple of weeks so really looking to move away from the premise of SS for now. My question is.... Am I ready for a BB split (intermediate type workout) with the above lifts?

Ultimately my goal is not to be mega strong, but to have decent strength (particularly in my lower back to try and relieve some ongoing lower back pain) and to look healthy (I.e. cut up a bit).

Keep doing the beginner routine, your lifts are still a bit on the low side.

Also - you don't need a split routine or a push bike to cut. All you need is a calorie deficit and a spare couple of months.

Keep doing the beginner routine, your lifts are still a bit on the low side.

Also - you don't need a split routine or a push bike to cut. All you need is a calorie deficit and a spare couple of months.

I agree with this.

Nothing wrong with his lifts if he is a bodybuilder and not a powerlifter.

I agree with Andy, try a split for a while, can't hurt as long as you train hard.

Shrek, I agree totally his numbers are good. But going on his bench numbers he has a lot of progression left on the squat and deadlift still. The quickest way to get them up at this stage is a beginner program. Why waste time.

I also think if he wishes to continue gaining strength then sticking to SS is his best bet in regards to efficiency.

If he's dead keen on a split then maybe a push/pull or upper/lower split with 5x5 on the main lifts might work. At least he will still get the required frequency for good strength gains.

I don't particularly care about high numbers (never did and never will), I just want the size for the moment, with reasonable strength all over, and less fat. Apparently strength does not directly co-relate to size of muscle. From what I've deciphered amongst all the bro talk on BB.com anyways :/

I don't particularly care about high numbers (never did and never will), I just want the size for the moment, with reasonable strength all over, and less fat. Apparently strength does not directly co-relate to size of muscle. From what I've deciphered amongst all the bro talk on BB.com anyways :/

Get stronger and you will get bigger. There is no way around it.

Get stronger and eat more and you will get bigger.

If most people saw Daniel Anderson or Sumo's lifts they'd think the guys are massive but both are sub-70kg

Apparently strength does not directly co-relate to size of muscle. From what I've deciphered amongst all the bro talk on BB.com anyways :/
Don't be fooled by the dumbasses over there, strength is everything when it comes to gaining size.

Progressive strength training + lots of food + consistentancy = size.

Amongst your lifts the deadlift seems to be lagging, but this is understandable given the back issues u mentioned. I'd be having back health at front of mind whichever way you go.

Do the split bro, you know you want to.

That's the other thing with lifting weights. You have to do what you enjoy or your won't keep at it.

If you hate full body programs but love doing splits, well your gonna do better on a split because your likely to put more effort and time into it over the long term.

What tickles me is a person will ask a question whether they should do this or that when all one needs to do is just fuckin try it. Oh, And argue the point, you nongs get dragged into it constantly.

It all works, it all comes down to how efficient you want to be.