• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stable Bodyweight

TheGiftToLift

It seems that whenever I reach a new PB for weight, my base or what I will term base weight without effort increases. By base weight I mean my weight once work and other commitments take over and I dont concentrate on diet or working out.

It wasn't long ago that I was struggling to get to 75kgs. Now I've reached 82kgs as a PB, it seems no matter how little I eat I stay about 75kgs. It is also undeniably easier to get back to a weight you once attained; ie for me to go from 75 to 82.

Has anyone else found this? Will I eventually lose this 'muscle memory' if i dont retrain?

It seems that whenever I reach a new PB for weight, my base or what I will term base weight without effort increases. By base weight I mean my weight once work and other commitments take over and I dont concentrate on diet or working out.

It wasn't long ago that I was struggling to get to 75kgs. Now I've reached 82kgs as a PB, it seems no matter how little I eat I stay about 75kgs. It is also undeniably easier to get back to a weight you once attained; ie for me to go from 75 to 82.

Has anyone else found this? Will I eventually lose this 'muscle memory' if i dont retrain?

It isnt muscle memory... Muscles dont have memory. You have built new neural connections though in the process and that is the hardest part of training ANYTHING in life... Once that is done it only takes a bit of practice tog et back to where you were.

You do have a genetic setpoint for weight though for bodyweight. However it must be maintained for sometime for it to become a new "setpoint" think of a thermostat in aircon.

This is why so many fial withdiets... They get to a goal weight and dont maintain it. Then pack it all back on because the body doesnt want to change. It likes homeostasis and changes alot of factors to stay at that weight.

My weight is around 100-110 i never get above 110 and it takes alot of work for me to get to sub 100.

It isnt muscle memory... Muscles dont have memory. You have built new neural connections though in the process and that is the hardest part of training ANYTHING in life... Once that is done it only takes a bit of practice tog et back to where you were.

You do have a genetic setpoint for weight though for bodyweight. However it must be maintained for sometime for it to become a new "setpoint" think of a thermostat in aircon.

This is why so many fial withdiets... They get to a goal weight and dont maintain it. Then pack it all back on because the body doesnt want to change. It likes homeostasis and changes alot of factors to stay at that weight.

My weight is around 100-110 i never get above 110 and it takes alot of work for me to get to sub 100.

Amen. Takes a lot for my body to go above a certain weight, think ice cream, curry, maccas every meal daily for weeks on end. But it also takes a lot of effort to get it down to single digit bodyfat levels. THe body will do anything to keep the bodyweight up with cravings, headaches, mood swings...

Amen. Takes a lot for my body to go above a certain weight, think ice cream, curry, maccas every meal daily for weeks on end. But it also takes a lot of effort to get it down to single digit bodyfat levels. THe body will do anything to keep the bodyweight up with cravings, headaches, mood swings...

This is where i have a problem with

" eat less exercise more calories are calories "

There are systems in place with the body... Much like checks at the airport. To ensure proper homeostasis and functioning of the body much like you would expect at an airport...

Now sometimes shit happens a plane is delayed someone doesnt come to work or a BOMB THREAT! Same thing happens in the body... This throws out other systems in the body and we have problems...

The problem is with the "thermostat" why is it set incorrectly for these people? To tell them to eat less food doesnt take away from the problems that will cause they will feel near starving and be unable to function. Some of them actually eat less then most people yet are twice the size? People dont like to look into problems any deeper then surface level... Do exercise eat less is what is usually thrown about. But for a person with biochemical problems in the body and these systems out of wack it is near short of impossible to do what others can do so simply, and that is maintian a lean body...

Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. I was at 74kg after doing absoultely nothing for around 2 months and eating the bare minimum required to survive. Now i've put on 3 kilos in less than a week! and ive only trained once... however i have started eating around 3500cals again.

Yep. I was up to 95kg (fat) at my highest. Lost a heap of weight (67kg min) then slowly put on weight over the next year or so. I'm now 75kg+-1kg and it seems that I just end up going back there. I do have pretty consistent training and diet these days but still the occasional splurge as we all do.