• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting from Scratch

H

Happy_Harold

Hi eveyone at Ausbb I'm a 21yo 5'11 weighing in at 67kg and I'm looking to shape up. I've never been big into fitness or sports have spent most of my time behind a computer playing computer games and of recently have decided that i need to do break away from the computer I want to get fit and shape but I am really clueless what i need to do. . I want to join a gym, but I'd like to have some sort of program in order before i set off to the gym. Like i said above i want to shape up put on some muscle, tone up and get fitter to get away from the skinny computer geek image. From the bit of research that i have done i came across the Riptoe's Starting Strength and that seems like a pretty good way to start, but I'm not quite sure on how to start it, what weights should i start with etc. Also with warm-ups and stretches there doesn't seem to be too many guides. I know warming up is important and I'd like to improve my flexibility if possible, too. I know diet is important. But that seems like the only part that I'd fairly straight forward. Eat eat eat, as long as the diet is clean Should I maybe look into getting a personal trainer? Would a PT cost much on top of a gym membership or what? Cheers.

mate i highly recommend you start off with body weight exercises initially. Things like push up's, chin up's & squats.

Also every day go for a half an hour (or more) walk. Walk up & down the beach. Around the block a few times. Around a footy oval. Whatever.

Go into the diet & nutrition area & tell us what your diet looks like.

Start doing 2 days per week:
Squats: 1X20
SLDL: 2X10
SMP: 2X8
BB Row:2X8
BB Curl: 3X8

2 days per week, do 10X20m sprints with 30 seconds rest in between.

Yeah, rippetoes works.

Eat lots.

Start with whatever weight you feel like and keep upping it every workout.

Start doing 2 days per week:
Squats: 1X20
SLDL: 2X10
SMP: 2X8
BB Row:2X8
BB Curl: 3X8

2 days per week, do 10X20m sprints with 30 seconds rest in between.

since curls have never actually been proven to get the girls i'd ditch them and bench press instead.

Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty good for beginers. It covers all the main exercise with plenty of push and pull. It also has a bit of body weight exercise in it to. After you build a frame up you can start looking into packing on some size. Personally I used max-ot for six months and that was my best progression ever. Training will be only 4% of your week while resting and eating will fill the other 96. It is important to train all your muscles and train them hard but give them time to grow.

My favorite quote out of golds bodybuilding encyclopedia: the period of recovery outside the gym is the period during which you hope your bodys stress response is greater then the amount of stress incurred. If all factors are in place, muscle growth will occur.

Allot of training will have you doing the same muscle group more then once in the week which personally I found to wear myself down more the build up. Get your nutrition and rest right from the start though and it won't matter what training you do there will be growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

since curls have never actually been proven to get the girls i'd ditch them and bench press instead.

You need to do some sort of curling if you decent size arms, i learnt this the hard way, at 88kg i have 13" arms, max at 71kg has bigger arms than me.

Where do you take the measurements? I'm 22.5" in the quads half way down but at the largest part 25.5" and 14" biceps at 75kg.

Where do you measure the quads? If I measure at the top (biggest part) of my legs, it's 26'5". BW 81kg.

17" biceps, and I don't curl or do any arm isolation exercise. My arms seem to grow with chin-ups, dips, presses & rows. Not very strong though. I'd rather have strength than size.

If i measured at the top it would be closer to 30" lol, measure half way between your hip bone and your knee.

Theres an excuses thread on ns, noobs.

You need to do some sort of curling if you decent size arms, i learnt this the hard way, at 88kg i have 13" arms, max at 71kg has bigger arms than me.

not sure where he mentioned he wanted big arms.

im 77.5kg with 15" and i rarely curl just press.

Oh dear. At 68kg, I have 22 inch arms. That's what you get for doing decent curls......

in seriousness though, the bicep is a fairly small muscle. at best it's the size of a baseball. If you want quality size arms, work on your tricep, more than your bicep. Curls are good for elbow health. If you have ****t elbow's you'll have a tough time bench pressing 1.5 your body weight

Dr Ken would have his trainees curl at the end of a program and he worked them hard, mercy.

He and many others also felt that - worked hard the standing barbell curl is a necessary exercise, one of the many benefits is actually shoulder health.

Dips also build big arms.