• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting up after 40

Kyle Aaron

Markos at PTC Franktson has a recent article up where he basically says that if you begin physical training for the first time only after 40 years old, you are almost certainly not going to keep it up. The people who are still training at 40 are those who were training at 30 or 20.

That is, by 40 your habits of a lifetime, good or bad, are well-established.

Thoughts?

Well I've been at it for nearly 20 years and while I'm not as consistant as I used to be I don't think I will stop any time soon.

It would seem less likely that the over 40's new trainers would continue with consistent training in the long term.
However, I disagree with the statement that they are "almost certainly" going to give up.
It really depends on each individuals lifestyle, needs, health, situation, goals, etc at the time.

Most lifetime habits are actually engraved by about 25-30 years old.
However, it's never too late, bad habits can be broken and good habits can be started

Sorry Kyle but that link's now dead.

Last edited:
I made that statement based on 19 months of my gym operating, 30 years lifting and working in gyms. I have no doubt that somewhere someone started at 40 and is doing really well, but for everyone over 40 that started late there are thousands that started in their 20's that are killing it in their advanced years.

From the 20 odd 40yo + clients, only James is still lifting. I didnt include the stack of 30 somethings who have quit.

Yesterday I recievedan email from my first client, that she wouldnt be training any more. She is obese and she gave it a go, she is 35, her son is 17. He is 170cm and 119kg, really obese.

These 2 detest hard work and discipline. He got quite strong on the bench, hated squatting and KB work. She trained well and ate what she liked.Eighteen months on she hasnt lost a gram.

It is far easier to stay lifting in your 40's than it is too start at 40. I would love my 40+ to still be lifting, business aside, it makes me feel good, sadly its not the case.

I got emails from clients on that list, they still read the newsletters, not one disagreed with me, I hit the nail on the head.

You see, they associate with friends who love to drink and eat crap, not doing so made them feel like leppers, simple as that. They need to change their friends and lifestyle.

Very very few people do that in their 40's.

Yes, it was my impression that was so, I was just interested to hear if other people had experienced the same thing as Markos.