• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Straps, wraps, and you.

Fadi

Lately I’ve been reading a lot about lifters lifting raw. By raw they mean that they employ nothing that would “aid” with their lifting of the heavies. I’m asking, where did this start and by whom? After 30 years of training and having been on both side of the iron fence, namely in weightlifting as well as bodybuilding, I’m here to tell you that I see not an iota of wrong doing or misguidance on behalf of the lifter who chooses to use “aids”.

Now what do the “machos” classify as being an aid to lifting?

1. Belts
2. Straps
3. Lifting shoes
4. Knee/wrist wraps
5. Gloves

padded-lift-strap.jpg

But out of all the above the main three would have to be straps, wraps, and belts. I’ve lifted at the top level and did use straps in training when taking on certain movements. Please note I said used straps rather than abused straps, (more on that soon). There are bodybuilders who would not even contemplate the usage of chalk before a heavy deadlift for God’s sake. Why be a sadist on yourself when you don’t have to be, but more importantly, when by choosing to do so you actually end up robbing yourself of a more productive workout where by necessity you would have to bring your poundages down to allow your grip to handle the weights at hand (pun intended).

Some bodybuilders are fixated on being super strong while some weightlifters are fixated (wait for it)…on having huge proportioned muscles! No sane bodybuilding judge would ever ask the bodybuilder on stage (or off stage) a question regarding his or her grip strength, or how strong their forearms are.

In all my years of lifting, I have not come across a single lifter/bodybuilder who has a weak grip, never! What the bodybuilder fails to realise is that grip strength is relative. Yes, your grip strength is relative to the amount of weight and the task at hand.

Getting back to the term use and abuse of straps as mentioned above, there are two competition lifts in the sport of weightlifting; the clean & jerk, and the snatch. These two lifts never see the usage of straps and are done with hook grips. There are no competition lifts in the sport of bodybuilding…except what goes on around your local gyms every night between the boys. In addition to the main two competition lifts, there are many lifts that are used in a weightlifting training session as supplemntaries. Some of these lifts are heavy shrugs, halting dead lifts and shrugs, snatch and clean pulls to name a few. Now all the aforementioned supplemntaries demand that the weightlifter, irrespective of status or how many world records he holds, that he uses the straps. Granted that these lifts are done in an explosive fashion as opposed to the bodybuilder performing a heavy deadlift or chin ups, lat pulldowns, T-Bar rows, bent over rows etc, which are all done in smooth like manner. However, all these bodybuilding lifts in my opinion would be better served by using straps (when going medium heavy and above) so as to maintain proper workout intensity.

Many bodybuilders would up their intensity in an instant if they decided to use straps when it is appropriate. But instead, they mistakenly think that it might take away something from their manhood, their powerhood, or to put it bluntly; their ego.

Your muscles are only concerned with the stimulus forced upon them and the intensity that they would have to adapt to. Your wrist/grip plays one part and only one part in the whole scheme of things. Do you know what that crucial part is?

Anchor; that’s it!

Your grip’s purpose is to basically tie you up to the bar or the machine or whatever you’re doing at the time. Now depending on how strong your anchor is, would result on how big a weight you lift (all being equal). Let’s take the one arm d/bell row as an example here since it’s one of my favourite back exercises. I’ll use myself as an example here to illustrate the point. Weighing around/between 75-77kg, my best lift here would be around the 110lbs for 10. Now I can’t even begin to imagine performing this exercise without straps once I reach 85-90lbs. My hands would be sweaty, they would begin to slide which would cause the d/bell weight to shift and my grip strength after (say) 6 or 7 reps is basically gone. Now if I was to continue like this and opt to up the weight to (say) 100-110lbs, I can confidently guarantee you that my main focus would shift from lifting the weight to gripping the bloody thing! There goes the intensity and a wasted opportunity to build some serious muscles. Why? Because Tom, Dick, and Jane might, (just might) think that I’m a wuss for using straps. Well to hell with T, D, and J, I’m in the gym for one reason and one reason only, and that is to build some rocking muscles and nothing else! Straps are tools and I would use every tool in my tool box if it meant looking after my main goal which is to have an absolute rocking workout like it’s my last workout.

Knee wraps are here to lend support to your patella tendon. Does that mean knee wraps on heavy squats would prevent an injury from taking place? Absolutely not. But then again, car seat belts don’t stop us from having car accidents, but in the unfortunate event that we do, they would serve to minimise any possible damage that we may develop at the time. I came from a country where seat belts are not worn and are mocked by the majority. In that country, once a high speed accident takes place, the morgue (and not hospital) would be the only place of rest for those unfortunate occupants who end up flying through the windscreen! Wraps are not here to prevent but to minimise the damage if and when it knocks on you door.

So go ahead Lions, use whatever you deem necessary to have a great and productive workout, a workout that you would be proud of irrespective what all the Ts, Ds, and Js might otherwise think!

In summary:

I’m here to take the weak link out of your workout instead of making your workout easier. Lest I be misunderstood by anyone, I’m not here advocating the use of straps to magically turn a weak lifter into a strong one, or a lifter who is not yet ready to lift a certain weight into one who is, because by doing so would truly be abuse indeed for which I certainly do not stand.

I’ve taken enough of your time so I do thank you for reading.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Its only a powerlifting term Fadi.

We have equipped or raw lifting.

Equipped wear knee wraps, squat suits, bench shirts, deadlift suits, erector shirts and groove briefs. These are the items not allowed in Raw.

Raw can wear a belt and wrist wraps, as can equipped.

The above equipment, depending on the user, can add anywhere from 100kg -350kg.

The raw and equipped bench press is held by the same man, with a 150kg difference between the 2 lifts.

Just a quick note on grip, as its a subject close to my heart.

I have LOTS of gripping implements in my gym to help lifters.

At the first Strongman Comp Max entered, he finished near last on the Farmers Walk, a test of grip strength. He only just beat his mum.

He dislikes training aids, so he went to work on his grip strength.

At 18yo and 75kg, he does shrugs with 200kg and rack pulls with 300kg unaided. If he can hang onto 300kg now, his grip will NEVER fail him on any exercise.

If a young novice is smart enough to know that your only as strong as your weakest link, then everyone should.

Any lifter with a weak grip is just lazy. We dont tolerate weak backs, why do we tolerate a weak grip?

Weak is weak.

Thank you for your reply Markos. You’d notice that I’ve specifically restricted myself to the bodybuilder here since I'm not an expert on powerlifting. However as I have pointed out in my message, weightlifters do use the straps for certain exercises to maintain, as well as increase the intensity of their workouts and not the other way around. I realise that there are some coaches who frown upon their lifters using such an aid however I’m not one of them. Back at the AIS we had two coaches and neither could agree on the use or not of straps. One claiming that you need all the grip strength in the world, whilst the other was looking at the situation at hand and realising that the weight poundages would have to come down if straps were not taken advantage of. I lean towards the mentality of the second coach, especially when (as you know) weightlifting lifts are performed with a hook grip and are explosive in nature. I don’t think a weightlifter would have either proper thumbs or hands left without the usage of straps in the lifts I mentioned in my small article.

Bodybuilders’ usage is there to insure that the lifts are not hindered due to a weak link. And as I’ve said before, the weak link would always remain relative to the weights being lifted. The proof of my statement could be found by testing a lifter (irrespective of his grip strength) on a weight without straps then with straps. A heavier weighted lat pulldown set (for example) or one achieving more proper repetitions would always be the case when using straps as when not.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I have adequate grip strength for the first few reps but lack grip endurance toward that last part of the set, I'm happy with my forearm size, so I use straps when I DL.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have adequate grip strength for the first few reps but lack grip endurance toward that last part of the set, I'm happy with my forearm size, so I use straps when I DL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here. If i am doing a set of 10 shrugs i will be fine for the first 5-6, and then struggle badly on the last few and most of the time my form goes to shit, and im barely getting the shrugging movement at all.

I have been contemplating straps, but am worried about T, D and J lol.

The way i assess my own training is if i find a weakness that holds back a lift i will train the weakness and not try to cover it up by using equipment.

To Fadi.

As you know, Armando was training at PTC for a while. He of course used wraps, like other lifters did back when he was representing Australia.

He did some lifts to get on our record boards, cleans, snatches. He never got to the top of cleans. He used wraps initially, then he saw the other lifters never used them to achieve those lifts, so he put them away and never used them again. Same thing happened with his belt.

They were his decisions. I guess enviroment plays a role on a lifters mental state.

If your in a normal persons gym, and you see Morgan, 130kg using straps to hold onto the bar, then your going to do the same.

If your in another gym and you see a 75kg kid hanging onto a 300kg bar without them, you may just shove them back in your bag.

Like I said earlier, it appears some weaknesses are tolerated, while others arent.

Grip strength, back strength, chest strength, leg strength, its all the same fellas.

Great attitude Josh.

There's knee wraps and knee wraps.

To support the patella tendon, you only need a sleeve. There are smaller specific devices to support the patella tendon if you have an actual injury there. Even a bit of tape using the McConnell technique can do the job. Otherwise, a simple bandage around the knee can also support the knee and is far removed from true powerlifting knee wraps.

Anything that it is tight enough that you can only tolerate wearing it for a few minutes at a time or you actually start to lose feeling, such as powerlifting knee wraps, is no longer supportive, and actually becomes a mechanical lifting aid.

On the topic of straps, I disagree that all it does is anchor the bar to you. It ignores the effect of proprioceptive feedback. Grip isn't just about physically being able to hold on to the bar. The stronger you can physically grip the bar, the greater the proprioception and the greater muscle recruitment. Simply gripping a bar tighter will result in greater CNS enervaton. This is why it is such a great lifting cue on any exercise.

If you use straps on a weight that can otherwise grip naturally, you're not just losing out on specific grip training, you're potentially also losing force production and the exact training effect you're trying to achieve in the rest of the body.

However, if you use straps with a weight you physically cannot grip, it's a different story, because a loose grip has the opposite proprioceptive effect - sensing a weight that is too heavy to grip, your body will shut off the muscles you're trying to train.

so yes, nothing wrong with straps, if used correctly keeping in mind your training goals - but for me, correct use is only where you are physically unable to grip the bar. FWIW I only ever use them on hanging leg raises.

I notice a similar effect with wrist wraps on bench press. Many people have told me that too long wrist wraps actually worsen their bench press - because they can't feel the grip on the bar as much. I found the same thing. I didn't help me. Maybe at maximal weights it would, but at training weights, tight wraps actually slowed the lifts down.

I dont want anyone or everyone to agree with me. If I am anything, I am consistent.

My Strong is Strong pisses some people off, but I'm consistent. I expect all my lifters to be all round lifters, strong at everything.

I read where guys on here bag others because they may use leg press instead of squat because there back hurts, or any other lift you can choose, lat pulldown over chins etc.

Very few people on here will ever compete at anything, less than 5%.

It appears universal that most will have no issue with any lifter using aids to cover up the most basic of strengths we all need, grip.

We have to hold onto a BB for most of our time in the gym, it is the most used strength component, yet very few deem it important enough to work on for any length of time.

the point strong enough makes is VERY valid. Pavel talks about tensing a lot in his books. I still see guys not even gripping a bar when they press, overhead or on the bench.

Grip strength and exercises for grip strength is most underrated.
When I squat I'm even pulling the bar.

My grip strength is most important.
Posted via Mobile Device

It would always pay to compare apples with apples. I'm not a weightlifter anymore but a bodybuilder, so from this sport's point of view, (where the main focus is on building muscles above all else), I see straps as a very valid tool to help the bodybuilder achieve his or her aim.

The problem (and it's a huge one) and one that I would endeavour to always highlight is the mixing up of arguments between bodybuilding and other iron sports.

I thank all the contributors to this thread.

Fadi.

As Fadi says it depends on what you are in it for. I think a powerlifter training with straps all this time is silly, but they may have use for them every once in a while to really overload things or to give their hands a break. For a bodybuilder that is seriously just into aesthetics then they can go for it as all that is important to them is how their body looks and the size of their muscles. The average gym goer should probably steer clear of straps as they have a multitude of goals and being strong is one of them and without adequate grip strength you are not strong.

Building strength, biulds muscle, how it looks is the difference between the two.​
This is an article by Ellington Darden, I'm not a huge fan but I believe he makes a valid point.​
"Pretend for a few minutes that your foremost goal in life is to be 7 feet tall. Since your height is only 5 feet 8 inches, this is an especially far-reaching challenge. Also suppose that you have never heard of basketball and never seen a basketball game.

Then, one day while you are visiting Los Angeles, Atlanta, or New York, you attend a professional basketball game for the first time.
"Wow," you exclaim after the initial quarter, "I’ve never seen so many tall men in one place." You’ve just got to get down close to the court for a better look. When you are near the court, perhaps only a few yards from some of the players, you are convinced that your long-desired goal can be obtained.
How? By becoming skilled at bouncing and shooting a basketball. Almost anyone should be able to see the relationship.

When you return home, the first thing you do is go to your local sporting goods store and purchase a basketball, a backboard, and a basket. Then you round up every basketball book you can find from your local library and bookstore. With a lot of practice, you figure, you’ll start growing taller in no time.

You begin practicing. You dribble and you shoot. And you continue on a daily basis — for weeks and months.
Unfortunately, you don’t get taller. The only thing that increases is your proficiency at dribbling and shooting. Nothing you seem to do with the ball makes you taller. But why were all the players on the professional basketball teams so tall?

You decide to seek out a basketball coach and ask him what your problem is. Much to your displeasure, the coach explains to you that playing basketball has no effect on your height. You must have the genes to get taller, the coach says, and if you do, you will get taller whether or not you play basketball.

To play professional basketball, an individual must be very tall. He must learn the skills of basketball at an early age. This is not to say, however, that most people cannot learn the skill of basketball and enjoy playing the game. But there is little chance for an individual to play professional basketball unless he has inherited genes that make him tall.
So far, so good. You should now definitely see the connection among genetics, being very tall, and professional basketball.

Now, I want you to suppose that your goal is to have very large muscles.

Also, I want you to pretend that you’ve never heard of bodybuilding and never seen a bodybuilding contest.

Then, one day you visit Las Vegas and are invited to attend the Mr. Olympia contest. Furthermore, you get to go backstage at intermission and watch the finalist pump up. You are simply awed by the size of these men.
You can’t help but notice that all of these guys are lifting weights backstage. Lifting weights, you reason, must be the secret to getting very large muscles.
So, the next day you purchase some weights, buy some bodybuilding books, and start training. Months and years go by, and yes, you get bigger and stronger, but you don’t look anything like Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler, Dorian Yates, Mike Mentzer, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or whoever your bodybuilding hero is. What are you doing wrong? What’s the answer? You decide to ask a bodybuilding coach.

Here’s where the coaches differ.

The average basketball coach understands the importance of genetics in his sport.

The average bodybuilding coach doesn’t.

The bodybuilding coach is likely to tell you that you need more training, different exercises, new routines, or additional food supplements.

He is not likely to tell you that you must have unusual genetics to get unusually large muscles. Professional bodybuilders have inherited muscular characteristics that make them unique.

In fact, the men who enter the Mr. Olympia are as rare as the men who are 7 feet tall and play professional basketball.

Both are giants: giants in muscle or giants in height.
In my opinion, approximately one in a million men in the United States has the genetic potential to be 7 feet tall, or the genetic potential to build huge Mr. Olympia-type muscles. One in a million — think about it!

The length of your muscle bellies is the single most important factor in determining potential size.
Your muscles attach to bone by tendons.
If you surgically removed an entire muscle from your body with the tendons intact, you’d notice that the tendons at either end are composed of very dense tissue. Follow this dense tissue until it tapers into the muscle.

Now cut the tendons off at both ends. What you’re left with is called the muscle belly, the meaty part of the tissue. The longer the muscle belly, the greater the cross-sectional area and volume can become.

Bodybuilders with huge muscles, or the potential for developing them, have short tendons and long muscle bellies.

For a muscle to be wide, it must be exceptionally long. An exceptionally long muscle doesn’t have to be wide, but it has the potential to be and it responds quickly to proper training.

While simple in theory, the muscle-length connection is still widely ignored.

Aspect ratio deals with the relationship between an object’s length and width.

For muscle to function, it must contract or shorten.

During contraction, the thin actin filaments within the involved muscle fibers are pulled toward the thick myosin filaments. What happens is similar to interlacing your fingertips and smoothly pushing them together and then pulling them apart. Since most muscles have a teardrop-like shape, as the fibers enlarge, the angle of pull on the tendon becomes less and less direct. Past a certain size, the muscle — or at least part of it — would fail to contract.

It simply would not function. Its aspect ratio would not allow it to work.
In other words, a short muscle cannot be very wide because its angle of pull would be so poor that it would not be able to contract efficiently.

The body, therefore, would not allow a short, wide muscle to develop.

To function effectively, a wide muscle must be long.

And the length of your muscles is 100 percent genetically determined. You cannot lengthen them through exercise, nutrition, drugs, or anything else.

What are your chances for building a really huge pair of arms?

The type that would place you in the top five of the Mr. Olympia contest?

As I mentioned earlier, the odds are not good. They are approximately one in a million.

In other words, out of every one million men in the United States, only one has the potential to have arms and the overall body of Ronnie Coleman, Mr. Olympia 2004. But even Coleman has his weaknesses.

The next time you see a full-body photo of Coleman, take a look at his calves. Both his gastrocnemius and soleus muscles are only average in length in each lower leg. His calves, regardless of what he does, will never be on the same level of development as are his upper arms. Coleman has long muscles and great potential in his arms, as well as his chest, thighs, and back.

Since there are approximately 290 million people in the United States, and half (145 million) are male, that means there are 145 males in this country with unusual genetic potential for building excessive large biceps and triceps.
Second, if you do have the genetic potential for building huge arms, you probably already have big arms — even if you don’t train.

And if you do train, you probably already believe you understand bodybuilding because you have big arms.

So, you probably wouldn’t be reading this article.
Thus, if you are reading this, there is good probability that you do not have the genetic potential to build really exceptional arm.
In fact, most of you probably have average, or slightly above-average potential."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A person can be very strong regardless of which method is chosen.

John Mc Cullum Who wrote the series "Keys to progress", was the first bloke to weld the two together (body-biulding/strength training).

"bodybiulders can benefit learning from powerlifters principles- powerlifters can benefit using "bodybiulding" principles.

Some people have extremley good leverages, but look average.

Very few, very few...have both, this is why we have "bodybiulding" and powerlifting.

I've always felt both should train the same way, these activities are just rife with smoke and mirrors.

Its what u really want out of your work out i guess. I have just started not using the straps for shrugs to try n build my grip up. but as for deadlift i will still use the straps as till my grip gets better.Each to there own i guess

only way to train grip is by gripping things without assistance
I have no problem with that for anyone who wants to train their grip. As a bodybuilder, there are other things I'd like to train besides my grip's strength, especially when I won't be asked about it, nor would it contribute to building muscle size...

It's about being practical here vs. lifting monstrous weights (which is not the ultimate goal of a bodybuilder).

Fadi.

Last edited:
I'll just go through quickly what I think of each "aid"

1. Belts - I use belts alot and most of my lifters will use belts - great tool for supporting the core and also adding kg's to ur lift....saying that I dont get beginners straight into a belt seeing as though I think you need to train without one when your starting off to help strengthen core/lower back.

2. Straps - as a bodybuilder I think this is a great aid to help focus on the muscle being worked - i.e back - alot of the time your grip will fail before your back does - even ronnie coleman uses straps. As a powerlifter I think you should stay away as much as possible.

3. Lifting shoes - never used them - never really been around guys who do use them - can not comment.

4. Knee/wrist wraps - Again great for support and if used right adding kg's to ur lift! - great aid!!

5. Gloves - gay