• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

ah, rows aren't in the program. The whole programs pretty...different. They've got a 3km test run tomorrow, so I thought a RDL test might not be such a good idea. RDL's are in the program.

I guess their program can't make too much sense.

At least it's not crossfit.

Well the players started back last week and were greeted with a 1k time trial.

Frenchy was best with a 2.59

Most boys went quicker than 3.30, there were quite a few quicker than 3.10

I now have a couple of 200kg deadlifters. Most of the group that trains with me on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday are on PPP

I had one boy this week cheating and not doing all the reps. It was a tough complex

Squat 40kg x 50
Deadlift 60kg x 30
Clean & press 35kg x 20
BB curl 22.5kg x 20
Trap bar dead 57kg x 50
Bench press 40kg x max (Khan got 60 reps)

I have a knack of when someone is cheating, they make eye contact with me during lifting. We counted this boys reps, he was well down, up to 15 on some exercises.

I called the boys in out on the ground in front of the coaching staff.

I explained I was impressed with them because it was a tough one. I asked if anyone didnt do all the reps. No one answered. I told them we had been counting some of them.

One boy said he only managed 49 reps on the Trap bar dead.

I called out the boy we had targeted and asked him how he went. He said he missed most.

I asked him to explain to his team mates why he was dishonest TWICE, as I walked back to the gym.

Apparently it didnt go too well.

any updates Markos? I've been following this thread and so far its been quite informative. I would like to hear how they are going with the almost in season training. Also how will their weight training differ in season to pre season?

The boys that train on off nights are doing PPP, just the big 3 lifts.

The weights have got heavier in the pre training session. Tonight was

Deadlift 110kg x 10
Bench 60kg x 20
Powerclean 60kg x 10
Trap bar deadlift 107kg x 20
Military press 35kg x 10
UDL 80kg x 20
Thrusters 20kg x 10
Thrusters 16kg x 20

No rest between sets.

The rehab group had some fun tonight. I let them do bench press. I had 5 boys, all doing a max set with 60kg. One after another.

First boy to 150 reps total wins. They ran out of time.

I havent tested their 1RM for awhile. The boys doing PPP are repping their PB's now

Practice matches start in a week or so.

I have stopped the cardio based sessions before training. They now do the strength stuff on Monday and Wednesday. You can pick the ones that havent been doing it at their own gym.

Some of the boys complained that they were going to lose all the strength they had gained, simply because training in such a big bunch, with novices, was holding them back.

So a select few are allowed to do PPP on Tuesday and Thursday at PTC. Khan is now squatting over his PB during PPP, the boys absolutely love it. On testing, Khan's PB was 120kg, now he is repping 132.5kg.

The list has had its final trim, so only a handful of oxygen thiefs left, I think Goose said one or two more may get the snip.

So an overview.

Mondays will be recovery sessions mainly
Tuesdays will be PPP for the more advanced lifters
Wednesday is the main session with all fit boys doing strength based work
Thursday will be PPP for the more advanced lifters
Friday will be a short 20 minute session on the track before match day on the weekend

I forgot to add

The strength based stuff is simply

Squats
Push presses
Cleans
Benches

Some deadlifting and UDL's for younger players

Fevola at Frankston?? What are your thoughts Markos? Lol should turn him into a powerlifter instead of a footballer, he may be useful at something. Haha

Haha I instantly thought of Markos training Fevola when I heard it on the radio.

They played a quick interview with Simon Goosey as well.

I have massive man love for Brendan, I'm blue thru and thru

We'll know more on Wednesday, Goose meets him in the morning

Imagine the media circus at Frankston on Wednesday if he signs

Well he got a no from Bendigo so chances are someone else will pick him up, probably whoever offers the most cash.

Would be interesting to see his lifts if he does go to Frankston.

No need for cash, he got his 1.6 million pay out

Its now about getting back into the AFL

I cant see him signing with an AFL affiliated club, so that leaves Pt Melbourne and Frankston.

Pt Melbourne is one of the richest VFL clubs, can offer him 5 times the money Frankston can.

We definitely have the better set up. A few Pt Melbourne players who trained at Frankston this year were blown away by our gym.

The boys moved into their new rooms last week as well, the 2.1 million dollar new grandstand with state of the art club rooms underneath.

Goose is talking to his management today.

Markos wondering if you have trained any footy players or anyone suffering from patella tendonitis.

If so have you had any success in improving or getting rid of it.

We had 24 players ruled out in last weeks game. These guys have injuries I've never heard of.

I'm sure some may have this, but they run to the physio, not me. Sorry I cant help more.

Very few boys are touching weights now, they have moved to the new rooms so they bypass the gym

its incredibly frustrating