• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

Last night when i worked with the fellas I pulled out my iPhone & video taped numerous guys doing squats & RDL's. An obvious thing happend when I replyed the video back to them & pointed out a few things. Their technique improved. A lot.

When I pointed out that the bar path in some of their squats is verticle, straight up & straight down, while some weren't....in the next set, all 8 reps were spot on...straight up & down. When I played back the videos of them doing their RDL's...showing the difference between those that had their shoulders somewhat over the bar & those that had their shoulders well over the bar...the difference between a very straight back & a slack back...the 2nd & 3rd sets kept getting better & better.

Some of the lads did their squats with DB's, as all the stations for squats were taken up. One guy made it quite clear that he hated to squat, but did them anyway. Needless to say when it came to doing DB presses he went pretty heavy. That being said, his training partner squatted & benched heavy.

I probably shouldn't be hijacking this thread.

All of the lads are pulling more than their squatting. By alot. One guy did 100 x 10 on friday. He RDL'd 45 for 8.

Nice input, feel free to post up your experiences Pete, its not simply my thread, I only started it for anyone to have input.

Last night the guys had a sharp session.

Squat
60kg x 30
40kg x 40
35kg x 50

Thats it. They had to clean the bar and press it over their heads onto their backs. Some were so fucked, they couldnt press it back when they were done

Thanks Markos. I hoped my interjections would be accepted.

I'm finding it very frustrating implementing a program that I'm unsure about. Supersetting squats with pull ups, Roman Deadlifts with the Nordic hamstring work....

Some of the stuff I like. The sine leg partial shoulder press..not so much.

It gets better Pete. Once you get your own team, you can do what you like, use this as a learning process.

All of the boys I've got came from an atrocious program. Not sure they all believed me when I told them. They did after Max showed them.

he makes my job so easy.

Simon Goosey has got a junior development plan for promising footballers aged 13-17. Max is taking charge of this group, its all his. The cost is $10 each. He has 5 kids starting tonight, they will be doing twice a week, it will build up quickly I think, might be over 10 kids per session.

Markos or Anyone here,

Do you know anyone or any gym's in Sydney who trains like you and PTC? Specificity S & C aimed at Footy?

I play in the Sydney league 2nd division, but could benefit greatly from what I've been reading here.

Max and I did some more strength testing tonight. Some interesting results.

Firstly, seven boys did this for the second time.

Here is there bodyweight results from around 3-4 weeks ago

Taylor 84kg up 1kg
Dan 88kg up 2kg
Roman 96kg up 2kg
Chris 78kg n/c
Tommy 97kg up 2kg
Khan 101kg up 1kg
Steve 91kg up 1kg

All 7 boys gained weight while running for 6hrs per week and lifting weights 6 days a week, 3 times for strength and 3 cardio based sessions. The only nutritional changes we have implemented are

Lay off the booze
Gawains Protein - Max has gone to 80kg taking this stuff

New Football club records

Squat 145kg - Shane 82kg
Bench - 120kg - Shane 82kg & Russ 102kg
Deadlift - 192.5kg - Khan 100kg & Matt 83kg
Clean - 100kg - Shane 82kg & Khan 100kg
Push press - 100kg - Khan 100kg

TOTAL

Shane 635kg
Khan 625kg
Russ 610kg
Ben 580kg
Matt 577kg

Improvement in 4 weeks

Roman - 57.5kg
Taylor - 45kg
Dan - 40kg (no deadlift)
Tommy - 37.5kg
Chris - 32.5kg
Steve - 25kg
Khan - 2.5kg

Shane cant get in very often for the strength sessions, but like every other player he has a copy of the program and he does it at his gym if he misses out at PTC.

He has now deadlifted 4 plates, squatted 3 plates and benched 2 plates, in footy shorts and a singlet. He weighs 82kg. He also cleans 100kg and push presses 90kg. Thats pretty impressive.

A few of the others will be doing this on Thursday night.

What our testing has shown us.

Switching the squat to 5 x 10 has brought up everyones squat, by up to 25kg in one boy.

We dropped the bench to 2 x 8. The bench had little improvement.

The cleans, deadlift and push press were solid gains across the board.

We will adjust the squat to 5x5 and the bench to 5x5, the rest stays the same

I forgot to mention the 12-13yo who trained with Max.

They all go to the same school and all play for the same footy club.

Max had them doing Thrusters, Cannonballs, C&P and running suicides on the oval, they did other stuff but I didnt catch it all

They had a ball and will be training twice a week. He had 5 tonight, the kids reckon there will be more on Thursday.

They train amongst the big boys, this is a pretty good grounding for them.

Gawain is doing a great price to PTC members and the Frankston Dolphins Football club

I'll let him decide what he wants to do as to ausbb members.

He has an odd selection of flavours

Banana, Chocolate and Cafe Mocha.

Banana has Test Prop, Chocolate has Equipoise and Cafe Mocha has Tren

Best to stack them lol

Anyone coming to the CAPO deadlift comp this weekend, I have around a dozen tubs in stock, all flavours

Gawain is doing a great price to PTC members and the Frankston Dolphins Football club

I'll let him decide what he wants to do as to ausbb members.

He has an odd selection of flavours

Banana, Chocolate and Cafe Mocha.

Banana has Test Prop, Chocolate has Equipoise and Cafe Mocha has Tren

Best to stack them lol
Which flavour hs Deca? This flavour is quite nice mixed in a barrel, I mean blender with banana:D

A pretty cool workout with the fellas tonight. Lately I'd been working with a group of boys at the TIS complex, with fantastic equipment, eleiko bars, DHS bumper plates, platforms galore ect....

In some ways I felt I was lucky enough to spend a few hours with just three boys in a local footy clubs gym. It's nothing special, the kind of bars that weigh 8kgs, iron plates that look like they've been lifted a trillion times. A squat rack that is flat out wrong.

But alas, a bad carpenter blames his tools. One guy, Joshua was very unconfident about his squatting abilities. I told the three fellas that they should be squatting 1.5 x their bw for reps. After a bit of warming up, Josh ended up doing 6 good reps @ 100kg, at a bodyweight of 85kg. So it's not great weight, but great that he now understands some finer points.

They also found & agreed that as the weight went up, their technique actually improved.

For some reason that I can't understand the head coach had gotten them doing DL's with db's. IMHO i don't think there's anything wrong with learning how to DL with a dumbbell. At this stage of hte program, the guys have gone thru 5 weight training sessions & this was the first time they'd done it with a barbell.

They all ended up doing 8 good reps of 80kgs with great form.

I kinda prefer working in a more intimate setting with older, more primitive setting. They'd just not been pushed or taught how to do warm up sets or good technique (IMHO of course

PTC, I'm keen to hear what are some of yr tactics for getting the fellas who aren't into squatting, so that they give a decent crack at it? I'm sure you're well acquainted with these guys. Tactics excluded from pointing to guys such as max squatting!!

They get kicked out of the club. These guys are paid, they either get with the program or fuck off, Simon Goosey has made that quite clear.

We've had some meetings and those that arent lifting have been let go