• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

strength gone after back injury

HumBug

So after 6 months off due to travelling the world, i got back into the gym in november. on my second week back i went for a run which gave me lower back pumps i then followed it up with some squats which led to my lower back spazming up and putting me in a lot of pain. due to work commitments i could not really get time off or had time to see a doctor so i decided to rest it. i took a further 2 months off to heal and my back feels as it was before except im a little stiffer in the lower back/hamstrings. now my problem is ive been back in the gym for 2 months with no issues but my strength on squats/deads has not really increased at all but my bench has sky rocketed to the point of my max 5 rep is the same on squat/bench. has anyone been in a similar scenario? and tips on what i should do to get it back to normal, higher reps/lower weight instead of 5x5?
any help is appreciated. i really need to work on getting back to where i was before strength wise, its really aggravating and upsetting being stuck on half of what you used to lift.

Last edited:
Im back training after a few months break, Im squatting 2 x a week, one session for volume 4 x 12 and one for strength.
The key element would be to plan to be consistent in your training and not be put off by your numbers right now, take the ego out and focus on allowing stretching and mobility time for injury prevention.
You really should see a doctor for back injuries that don't fix themselves after a few days or if impair your lifestyle. A diagnosis would be able to see what went wrong and how to work around it or prevent the same injury in the future.
It doesn't take long to regain after only a few months break so stick with it and you should see the results.

What is your mobility like in the hamstrings & low back like pre vs post injury?
and how many 45 degree back raises can you do with just body weight?