• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

sumo vs conventional again

Grumpy at old age? Are you recommending not reading threads at all? How does one know that things have gone to shit unless ones reads?

what do you mena old, i am going to live to 150 and have 30 good years for competing left inspired by my mate Bill van weenan.

I was just merely offering a comment in response to yours. All posts cannot too be serious or else we may get bored.

I am hoping that Tony Abbott will ban sumo though; if only we could get him interesed in powerlifting.

Youre so mean spartacus.
What's the problem with sumo? It's powerlifting. You seriously think there should be a rule relating to the width of your feet? Why not ban people with short torsos?

Yes, i have a cruel streak. i am one of those people caught up in love for strength sports and aesthetics.

To be honest I cringe when i watch sumo deadlifts, but not as much as when i watch 2 inch bench presses and a few other things.

But deep down, I still enjoy watching powerlifting (hope to compete again in june), as i do many other sports which i have an opinion on.

Yes, i have a cruel streak. i am one of those people caught up in love for strength sports and aesthetics.

To be honest I cringe when i watch sumo deadlifts, but not as much as when i watch 2 inch bench presses and a few other things.

But deep down, I still enjoy watching powerlifting (hope to compete again in june), as i do many other sports which i have an opinion on.

Don't ever become a ref. I'm way too unaesthetic.
The IPF have a minimum ROM rule for bench and the rule now that you can't reposition feet in sumo- which is supposed to discourage the foot to plate sumo. But if you start enforcing the rom rule too harshly the small people lose out. You are so mean to small people. Cyberbully giant.

No, it looks like i am going to resume my referree career, and i will always judge in accordance to rules.

Don't get me wrong, i know you still have to be incredibly strong no matter what style you use for the bigger lifts.

However, we dont always need to be poltically correct do we? I simply prefer certain styles of lifting.

I used to say dwarfs should compete, only to find one already held world records in the 52kg division.

SP, I am indeed a compassionate man.

what are the rules for range of motion in bench press; in recent aussie titles i noticed a few lifts that had a very small range of motion (women), so i am curious.

It specifies minimum distance. The rule effectively ended the career of Anton Kraft. Off the top of my head its actually a small distance like 20cm. Not sure- I will check soon. I have to study the rulebook anyway as I'm sitting my Cat 2 exam at the raw worlds.

It specifies minimum distance. The rule effectively ended the career of Anton Kraft. Off the top of my head its actually a small distance like 20cm. Not sure- I will check soon. I have to study the rulebook anyway as I'm sitting my Cat 2 exam at the raw worlds.

Poor little bloke.

Like Spartacus said - do you have to get out the ruler if you're uncertain lol?

Yes, that is a good rule, although it would be difficult to judge.

From the Ipf technical committee newsletter:
"The laughable performances of so called bench presses and records taken when the bar moves 5 cm's because of little more than a shoulder shrug/rotation must be eliminated. How is it to be judged? If in the opinion of the referees the bar is not at least 15 cm's above the chest, then the signal will not be given to "start". As in the squat, should the lifter in the opinion of the referees not be up-right 15 degrees maximum or less, the signal to "squat" will not be given."

From the Ipf technical committee newsletter:
"The laughable performances of so called bench presses and records taken when the bar moves 5 cm's because of little more than a shoulder shrug/rotation must be eliminated. How is it to be judged? If in the opinion of the referees the bar is not at least 15 cm's above the chest, then the signal will not be given to "start". As in the squat, should the lifter in the opinion of the referees not be up-right 15 degrees maximum or less, the signal to "squat" will not be given."

I'm glad you mentioned that rule. I'll have to measure it out to see how much more I can trim off my ROM without getting red carded.