• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Super Cup of Titans

Come on man it's not hard to figure out. The rules state that the crease of the hip needs to be below the knee. But people often look at the crease of the hip dropping below the top of the knee wrap instead of the top of the knee which makes a high lift look to depth, especially on lifters with larger quads

I don't get it, how do you see the top of the knee under the wrap...The knee cap is under the wrap right?

It's got nothing to do with the thigh. Its the top of the knee, the kneecap, and the crease a the hip. Like dis:

squata.jpg

It also has nothing to do with "parallel" or how big the guy is or how small, male or female. That's why they are required to wear a lifting suit. Not to pander to the gay community, it's so you can see the hip crease and also if your butt is on the bench during the bench press.

Top of the knee is easy to see with a wrap or sleeve being irrelevant. Its the bendy bit. You know, the knee.

To show you what I mean, here is the pic again with the top of the knee (A) and the crease at the hip (B).

SquatDepth.jpg

Now, I don't want to get all pissy about this. It was white lighted and thats the standard that fed accepts, despite the rules of that fed. I'm just saying that a trained ref should be able to see depth, or lack of it, without resorting to video.

If the powerlifting community can't keep their house in order, it aint gonna get no respect.

Last edited:
Woody what I am saying is people commonly look at the top of the knee wrap instead of the top of the knee when judging depth from video

Thanks Woody for the explanation - I had been looking at the wrong part of the leg lol.

Also makes me wonder if I've been squatting high.

Last edited:
The GPC rule book states:

"The lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees"

I think malanichev's squat, from the angles I've seen is high.
But I think Woodys "B" line is higher than the crease making it look higher than it is.

I have a question, yes it's me, deal with it.
From what I can see, the ref is sitting in front of the squatter, how can he see whether the hip crease is below the knee from that vantage point?

I think that's up to the side judges?? The front on one is judging control of the weight?
This is a good learning curve for me, as I will also be adding wraps in my training soon, after my novice comp.

I have a question, yes it's me, deal with it.
From what I can see, the ref is sitting in front of the squatter, how can he see whether the hip crease is below the knee from that vantage point?

That's why there are 3 refs. You do learn to judge depth from the front eventually but the side refs are who should be mainly focusing on it.

Thanks Woody for the explanation - I had been looking at the wrong part of the leg lol.

Also makes me wonder if I've been squatting high.

If you have to ask that question, the answer is probably "yes".

For your own edification, set up your phone or vid camera on the side around half a metre off the ground side on so you get a good clean profile shot. Make sure you do your squat without any uprights or safety bars in the way (this is just to check your normal depth, you wanna use safety bars normally of course) then do a few squats. Check your vid. Pause and step through to see your deepest point and compare that to the diagram above.

When I am "at depth" I can feel it in my glutes and hams, a real stretch and ping out of the hole. Even if you are not competing, squatting to depth will keep your knees safe, train your entire leg (front and back), train your glutes and strengthen your back and core. Full range of motion will give you full range of training.

If any type of lift feels hard, uncomfortable and demanding, chances are that you're doing it right.

In GPC, front refs do not judge depth. They will only give reds if it was a mile high.

It would be impossible to judge Malan's squat accurately from the front.