• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supplement Advice

Muzza1973

Hi guys/girls,

Recently turned my life around after a marriage breakup and have quit drinking, not feeling depressed eating a lot better and starting to feel "the old me" again!

Have joined a gym and have been working out the past 3 weeks,at least 3 times a week.Lifting heavy weights with some cardio and i feel terrific!

I'm a 39 y/o male,6'4" and are 90kg.I'm quite lean but with a bit of a tummy and a little fat i'm looking to burn.

I'm seeking advice in providing the most accurate supplement advice anybody can for my needs.

I'm currently taking BCAA tablets (3 pre & 3 post) workout along with Humapro sometimes pre and sometimes post.I despise the taste!

Getting low on BCAA tabs whilst i wanting to part with Humapro as i gag at the taste.

Want something different BUT simple.Tablet form preferred but not essential.

Never been a fan of Whey mixed with water or milk etc..

I'm looking to add serious bulk,strength and size!

Something pre and post training.

Creatine,Amino's,BCAA's,HGH?

What can anybody seriously suggest with serious results?

Cheers

Muzza

This comes up all the time.

Don't waste your money.

Eat healthy, and enough of it.

If you want add a quality Multi Vitamin (I use Swisse Mens), some fish oil, again I use Swisse.

And if you really want buy some bulk Creatine for about $20, while there if you really really want you can order some flavoured BCAA's and/or pre workout.

If you don't like protein powder don't use it, I like it and have a shake for breakfast as I don't like eating in the mornings and it makes me feel full till lunch.

Buy all your stuff online at Bulknutrients or No Bull Supplements.

PS: I don't even know what that other stuff is you take but willing to bet it's just a waste of cash like 98% of supplements

Don't even worry about the supps. humapro is that bullshit human breast milk protein that is supposedly like 600% better or some bullshit, it's a con don't buy it again.

For a start just get training and diet working properly.

Don't even worry about the supps. humapro is that bullshit human breast milk protein that is supposedly like 600% better or some bullshit, it's a con don't buy it again.

For a start just get training and diet working properly.

I presume it's Bovine Colostrum?

Amazing stuff for your immune system..

I presume it's Bovine Colostrum?

Amazing stuff for your immune system..

No there bullshit advertising gimmick is cows milk is for cows and human milk is for humans.

As for cows colostrum I haven't read the research so i could be wrong but I doubt it's any good for humans.

It's amazing for calves, much better growth rates, lower death rates ect but the trick is it is only useful in the first 24 hours of life. After than none of the beneficial antibodies are absorbed any longer.

Now if cow colostrum in only beneficial for the first 24 hours for baby calves I doubt it's beneficial for adult humans at all.

No there bullshit advertising gimmick is cows milk is for cows and human milk is for humans.

As for cows colostrum I haven't read the research so i could be wrong but I doubt it's any good for humans.

It's amazing for calves, much better growth rates, lower death rates ect but the trick is it is only useful in the first 24 hours of life. After than none of the beneficial antibodies are absorbed any longer.

Now if cow colostrum in only beneficial for the first 24 hours for baby calves I doubt it's beneficial for adult humans at all.

I'll see if I can dig the studies up that I have read a mate also Di a study on it as part of his thesis at uni..

I concur with just taking fish oil, protein, maybe creatine, and maybe the multis only if your diet is not up to scratch. But sleeping and eating properly should be the main thing to focus on first.

I think diet is the most important, make sure you're getting complex carbs, protein, fats, and veggies.

Supplements will only aid you, but I guess for a stack, fish oil, multi, protein and maybe creatine. And you should be set. I don't think its really necessary to get BCAAs if you get enough from your diet, but everyone has different opinions.

I take BCAA powder, but I personally do not believe it is needed or it even does much......so it probably sounds stupid that I take it, but I like the taste of it, and just may be it does help me train or recover a bit better.

I buy Bulk Nutrients Flavoured BCAA's a kilo at the time, before hitting the weights, I get a large shaker, fill it with ice cubes, add a serving of BCAA's, 5 grams of creatine and fill to top with iced water. I drink this during my weight session.

Again not sure it does anything but I am happy to have it just in case and I like the taste:)

On days when I feel like I need a 'kick' to train I will have a serving of the old Bulknutrients Pre Workout NT that I still have about a kilo and a half of. I only use it occasionally may be once a week at the most so will last me for a while yet.

I buy my Swisse Vitamins on eBay or 50% off sales at Supermarkets and Chemist warehouse, never ever pay full price.

Picked up Swisse Wild Fish Oil high strength a few weeks ago for $5 for 200 capsules, needless to say I bought about 6 or 7 tubs, as that was all they had and it's in date till 2014.

Last edited:
Others have covered it, but I would suggest only a whey protein supp, fish oil and "perhaps" a multi as an insurance policy. Optional extras are magnesium/zinc, I find this helps me with my heavy training load but I would not be in a rush to grab it!

Before all, get the diet sorted 100% before you look into anything else

Cheers

What fish oil to get hey?

I got some mega cheap ones from a local vitamin shop.

However it seems fish oil is better if it has a high DHA to EPA ratio (Fadi wrote about it a while back). Looking at my (and most) cheap fish oils, they are high in EPA...

So I have recently ordered this: Bluebonnet Nutrition, Natural Omega-3 Brain Formula, 120 Softgels

860mg DHA to 120mg EPA per serve.

What else do I take, if that helps you?
WPC, ordered 20kg at a time (4x 5kg bags, 4 different flavours), and ZMA from Bulk Nutrients.
Creatine - doesn't need to be anything fancy.
Multi vitamin - what I personally recommend Eagle Pharmaceuticals Tresos B with Selenium - however "what" multi's are even more contentious, everyone has an opinion. What I do know is that Swisse make obscene margins, are big on the marketing claims, so I avoid them.

I've been sticking with the blackmores fish oil - ordourless fish oil 1000 - 4 four times a day (has helped a lot to stop the joint inflammation) - Dr's instructions

wpi , bcaa's , zma , creatine and greens(wheat and barley grass) from bulk nutrients
hwpi (and beef jerky) from no bull
calcium tablets from local healthshop

What I do know is that Swisse make obscene margins, are big on the marketing claims, so I avoid them.

Mate they all make huge margins, thats why you can generally pick it up about half retail price or even less.

I have never payed more that half retail price for vitamins ever. But Swisse seem to do a bit of research to get the formulas right, they are still only supplements to help fill in voids.

Hi BigMick,

There definitely are benefits to BCAA's if you are unsure if they are doing anything or not.

We have a collection of studies: http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/assets/pdf/BCAA-Recovery.pdf

Thanks will have a read of this tonight after dinner.