• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supplement confusion !

I wonder why people pay big cash for the protein supplements. The cheapest protein is milk powder. It's 35% by weight protein, and costs $6/kg in the supermarket (cheaper in bulk from wholesalers). Thus, $17/kg of protein. Even $10/kg steak is $40/kg for its protein. How about the powders? Dearer, I bet.

I am sceptical about supplements for any but bodybuilding or powerlifting professionals. I think that supps make only a few percent difference to your performance at most.

It was at about this point where i just couldnt read anymore.
You only need to understand minimal amounts about protein and the affect of it on the human body to know that supplementing with even just one post workout protein shake can be beneficial even to the most amature of weight lifters or workout enthusiests or what ever.

As far as milk powder goes, well most people consume enough carbs in their food diet, protein is generally what is lacking in someones diet that is trying build muscle, so if they decided to supplement with milk powder to increase their daily protein intake then they would be taking in all these extra carbs aswell, which is no good for anyone who is concerned about their body fat %, also milk protein is made up of %80 cassien proteins which can take up to 7 hours to fully absorb which makes it no good for a post workout shake cause you have missed your window of oppurtuntiy, and missing that window will mean you dont fully benefit from your workout.

There are site like PROTEINDIRECT - Products that sell 2.5kg of flavoured whey protein concentrate for $60, which given the benefits over milk powder, is still quite cheap.

Sorry, shammo, but the scientific facts are against what you're saying. I always prefer to go to the studies themselves, and to people in gyms who've tried something to see how it goes. I am on a CHO60/Pro20/Fat20 diet, am weight-training three days a week with cardio on alternate days, and I have gained muscle mass and strength over the last few months. So much for anecdotes, let's look at the science:

• People on low-protein diets due to kidney disease did weight training for 12 weeks, and all gained muscle mass [source].
  • Healthy novices can gain mass with less than 0.8g protein/kg bodyweight, since the very fact of weight-training makes your body more likely to retain protein [source].
  • By the way, milk protein is better than soy protein for muscle building [source]. Milk protein isn't compared to whey protein because... whey comes from milk. Whey protein is milk protein.
  • In fact, just drinking skim milk after training boosts growth [source].
  • In all four studies, a calorie surplus was needed; they needed to consume more than they expended.
If you have studies saying the opposite or something in between, I'll be interested in seeing them. Not theory about bioactivity or speed of digestion, but actual studies showing how different diets and different training give different gains or losses.

It does no harm to consume extra protein - more than 0.8g protein/kg BW - but it's not necessary for beginners. A 70g person who consumes 400g of protein a day will definitely grow - but so will a 70kg person who consumes 60g of protein a day, the two's total calories consumed being the same. Putting on muscle for beginners is the same as putting on fat - consume more calories than you expend, and you grow. The difference is the weight training.

None of this says anything about putting on lean mass after the first year or so, where consuming 1-2g protein/kg BW does make a difference. A beginner just needs to eat lots, lift lots, get their heartbeat up lots, and sleep lots. And they will gain in lean mass and strength; unless they're consuming gazillions of calories (whether carbs, fat or protein), they'll lose fat, too.

Last edited:
My personal experience tells me its not alot of bang for your buck. If you want bang for the buck i'd do Epistane or its clone Havoc. Under 30 bucks US. You already know enough about PCT and you appear to know what you are doing. If you want a stronger cycle then stack a wet compound with a dry compound. On Anabolic Minds site look up Thundergods Methyl Madness thread. Its a classic. I also have a compound list with brands posted up in the underground supp section at The Iron Dungeon.org.
Hope this helps.
AZZA

Yeah, i wont get espitane into Australia anyways hahaha

Thanks for your feedback!!

• By the way, milk protein is better than soy protein for muscle building [source]. Milk protein isn't compared to whey protein because... whey comes from milk. Whey protein is milk protein.

i never said anything about soy protein. There is a big difference between drinking your milk powder and drinking whey powder. Milk powder is made up of 80% casseins and only 20% whey.
sure anyone can get gains from only small amounts of protein and some weight training but even as a beginner you want to be able to get the most out of each and every session, so by having the right protein at the right time in the right quantity you will get better results and quicker than without it, and you wont feel like you are watsing your time and you will prolly stick at it for longer

Interesting and informative link, you presented shammo, none of which contradicts what I said.

The first referenced article is a review of other literature, rather than its own study, so we can leave it aside.

In the second study, "Consumption of both casein and whey proteins were found to bring about a similar positive net muscle protein balance". Not that I'd take much from that study, because it studied protein balance rather than actual muscle gains over time. One generally but not necessarily leads to the other.

The third study just says that consuming skim milk gives you more protein balance in muscles than soy, however again they just studied the blood and not the end results. But they said, "The researchers also hypothesized that a combination of "slow" and "fast" proteins like casein and whey, both found in cow's milk, would be most effective for building muscle." Note that - "a combination." That is, whole foods rather than supplements.

The fourth says, "Ingesting whey protein with or without creatine after resistance exercise results in greater gains in muscle mass and strength compared to carbohydrate". However, the study was of 36 "healthy, resistance trained males". That is, not beginners.

I said beginners could gain even without ingestion of large amounts of protein, provided they have overall a caloric surplus. I also said that after the first several months of training, people needed more protein as part of that caloric surplus. So it reinforces what I said about intermediate-trained.

The fifth does not tell us whether the people studied were trained or beginners. Its results are that creatine is most important for growth - you get more with creatine and carbs than you do with protein alone - but that protein helps - you get more with protein alone than carbs alone.

The sixth tells us that for 13 "recreational body-builders" (it's unclear whether they'd count as beginners or intermediate) that whey gave increase in lean mass and decrease in body fat, while casein gave neither; it also said that both groups gained strength, but the whey group gained more. It does not indicate if either or both groups had a caloric surplus or not.

In this case, we don't have enough information about the study to say if it contradicts or reinforces what I said. We have to know what they mean by "recreational" body-building.

The last study tells us that 17 "resistance-trained males" (ie, intermediates) were split into two groups, one who had a whey/creatine/carb drink just before and after a workout, and one who had it instead before breakfast and after dinner. The former group got greater gains. They don't mention if the subjects had a caloric surplus or not. In any case it does not isolate the issue of whey, creatine etc. What it does is tell us that if you have something in your belly when you come to train, and put something in it right afterwards, you do better. Which I've never disputed.

In sum, a very interesting little pdf, telling us that,
  • Beginners gain almost whatever they do
  • Intermediates gain better with a protein surplus
  • Creatine helps intermediates
All of which I said already.

The studies may tell us some other interesting stuff, stuff which may contradict what I've said, but we'd have to read them in full.

shammo said:
if im gonna train like a champion then im gonna eat whatever it takes to get the most out of it.
Absolutely, you should! And best of luck to you! I'm just saying that the vast majority of people who take up the iron aren't interested in training like or being champions. They'll pass "beginner" if they're determined, and after that be glad of the extra strength, health and fitness they have.

What beginners need is different to what intermediate and advanced people need. Beginners don't need 400+g of protein and heaps of supplements every day. They can save their money to buy the new clothes they'll need after all their training :)

What beginners need is different to what intermediate and advanced people need. Beginners don't need 400+g of protein and heaps of supplements every day. They can save their money to buy the new clothes they'll need after all their training :)

:confused::mad::mad: and thats why they dont get the results they are after, and no one need heaps of supplements everyday, just some whey pre and post workout.

Again, the studies don't support that, the idea that beginners would get much better results with vast amounts of protein. A calorie surplus, whether made up of protein, carbs or fat, is going to get them results.

It may be they'll do better with more protein - but studies don't support that.

Sorry Shammo,not saying I actually agree or disagree with you but Kyle is kicking your butt in this debate.

I don't want to kick anyone's butt, I just want to find out the truth of these things, so we can have the knowledge to help beginners do well and become intermediates, instead of plugging away for years with no results or dropping out like almost all of them do.

Whether that's with $100 of protein powders a week, without, with them standing on their heads or running twenty miles or whatever, I don't care.

I don't care.

I wasn`t trying to suggest you were being smarmy or anything like that.
A well presented argument may not win me over every time but it will at least
make me consider the other side.
With any study I always like to be skeptical though.Results can be almost pre determined to show whatever you want.It doesn`t mean they are wrong but it does mean the results may not always be 100% correct in 100% of cases.
It is a bit childish to claim victory in a mature argument/debate so what I meant was that you are putting forward the best argument to support your opinion and Shammo should consider the option that you may be more on the money in this case.

It's true about the studies leaving a lot to be desired.

When you're dealing with less than 10 people in each group, you get the big problem that the individual variation may be greater than the variation between the groups.

For example, do you sometimes find that if you have a small snack to eat, it makes you want to eat a full meal? So if we have one group have protein drinks and another not, it may be that the first group actually ended up eating more regular food - so which gave them the weight gain, the drink or the food, or both?

And of course if you weight train, you find you have more energy generally, so if you wanted to compare one group training one way with another training another way, well how do you know some of them weren't doing some other extra training?

I remember someone writing years ago about experimentation: with animals, you can make them do anything, but you can't ask them anything; with humans, it's the reverse. So you can supervise people taking these protein drinks or other supplements, and even supervise their weight training, but... there's 1 hour of training, and another 23 hours in the day, too.

If you have 100 or more people in each group, all these individual variations will tend to average out in the sheer mass of people. But with less than 10...

So these are difficult subjects to discuss, the hard and fast facts are few, the suppositions and "but we've always done it this way," are many. We can't dismiss the various studies, because they're the best information we have, but we can't take them as gospel, either.