• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supplement reviews

So you will source the raw ingredients and blend them in your kitchen/garage (so to speak)?

No you have them done by a manufacturer. It would be up to me what ratios the raws will be. Also design, labelling and relevant info is done by them also.
AzzA

SUPPLEMENT REVIEW VPX SHOTGUN WATERMELON

Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestibility 5 STARS
Pump 3 STARS
Vascularity 4.5 STARS
Intensity 3 STARS
Strength 3 STARS
Endurance 4 STARS
Cost Per Serve $3.23-$3.76 depending on tub size.

General comments-This is a pre workout drink that tastes good, its on even par with Gaspari Super Pump. It does foam up a little more than i would have thought. It does give you the Beta Alanine tingles but only slight, it does however contain 20 grams of protein. I like this fact a lot, other ingredients in there are in the proprietary blend so exact amounts are unknown. The highlight for me was the vascularity. I have had over 10 packets and the veins were much more pronounced than normal. The pumps are there and above average, endurance is up, strength only up marginally. Over all a good product depending on your goals.

AZZA

16 Packets Variety Pack
Serving Size1Packet
Servings Per Container16
Serving Amount % Daily Value
Calories ~81
Total Fat 0 0%
Carbohydrates 0mg 0%
Sodium 65mg 2.6%
Protein 20g 40%
Protein Hydrolysate Matrix Yielding 22% Glutamine Peptide, 21% BCAA Peptide, & 41% EAA's 9,660mg **
Casein Protein Hydrolysate
Whey Protein Hydrolysate
Ionic Whey Protein
Proprietary Branched Chain Ethyl Ester Amino Acid Matrix
L-Leucine, L-Valine, :-Isoleucine, L-Arginine, L-Valine Ethyl Ester, L-2-Aminopentanoic Acid (L-Nor Valine), L-Alanyl Glutamine, L-Arginine Ehtyl Ester Di-HCL, L-Isoleucine Ethyl Ester HCL, L-Leucine Ethyl Ester HCL
Proprietary Muscle Volumizing, NO2, Insulinotrophic Matrix 10,055mg **
Creatine Gluconate
CEX®(creatine ethyl ester HCL)
Creatine Taurinate
Creatine Monohydrate
COP® (Creatinol-O-Phosphate)
Di-Na Creatine Phosphate Tetrahydrate
Di-L-Arginine Malate
Citrulline Malate
Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester
Magnesium Tashinoate B
Bis Picolinato Oxo Vanadium (BPOV)
Gamma-Butyrobetaine
Power, Speed, Strength And Endurance Matrix
Beta Alanine/beta Alanine Ethyl Ester HCL
Guanidinopropionic Acid (GPA)
L-Histidine
KIC(Ketoisocaproic Acid Calcium)
Phosphates
Vitamin B6(Pyridoxine HCL- 250%
Creatine Magnesium Chelate
Redline Energy & Meltdown Fat Burning Technology 377mg **
L-Tyrosine
Caffeine Anhydrous
Beta Phenylethylamine HCL
Hordenine HCL
Folate(as Folic Acid)-100%
R-Beta-Methylphenylethylamine
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established
Other Ingredients
Natural And Artificial Flavor, Malic Acid, Sucralean Brand Sucralose (A Non-Nutritive Sweetner), Citric Acid Anhydrous, Monosodium Phosphate Anhydrous, Tri-Sodium Phosphate Dodecahydrate, Glycine (Food Grade).
AZZA

SUPPLEMENT REVIEW UPDATE

I am still also using the CytoSport Monster Amino range of supplements. This is my overview of what i think of the products. I have used these 3 products stacked on training days off and on for a few weeks now. I feel they are good products, not outstanding in taste but in performance they rate a good mention. My last workout today using the stack was great, i was swole after using the supps and can put it down to the carbs that are present in the 3 products as helping. My workout today consisted of a upper body workout using one exercise per body part and using a maximum of 75% of my 1RM on my 3rd set. Total sets were 15 and my rep range was 20,15,10.

I was surprised at how little work got myself so swole and vascular. There was a afternoon crash which is not unexpected with some of these types of products. The only other thing i could mention is that with the amount of each serving you are getting 95 grams of carbs and many B vitamins, and potassium in 3 products. Also you are having about 1 litre of water. Its a lot to get through in roughly 1 and half hours. Overall i am happy with trying these products. My only bug bear would be to improve the taste of 2 of these.

AZZA

Azza,

Just a word of precaution. Make sure you test all the products you are going to put your name to. I dont mean testing them on yourself, as no 2 people will react the exact same to the same product, but paying an independent company to test for levels of protein scientifically. This can be done for about $60 for a basic protein test. This would be a real help to your business, but more so, to the consumer.

I would buy from you if you had independent certificates stating the ACTUAL protein content of a product.

Did you know you can allow 10% variation on what is allowed to be stated on any nutritional panel. This is how companys advertise 90%+ protein for flavoured WPI... DO the Maths WPI is 90% Protein, 91-92% max. 5% flavouring, sweetners, emulsifiers, gums..... So lets say the WPI magiacally has 92% protein, the sum would be 92 X .95 (being the percent of WPI in the blend)= 87.4% protein... How can it be advertised that protein content is over 90%. I am no math genius (obvious by my simple equation) but i find it hard to believe these companys advertising over 90% in a blend.

Can someone clarify this for me, or tell me if i am wrong? I would love to know if there is a site that will give independent certification of each of the proteins they have for sale. Does this exist??

Azza,

Just a word of precaution. Make sure you test all the products you are going to put your name to. I dont mean testing them on yourself, as no 2 people will react the exact same to the same product, but paying an independent company to test for levels of protein scientifically. This can be done for about $60 for a basic protein test. This would be a real help to your business, but more so, to the consumer.

I would buy from you if you had independent certificates stating the ACTUAL protein content of a product.

Did you know you can allow 10% variation on what is allowed to be stated on any nutritional panel. This is how companys advertise 90%+ protein for flavoured WPI... DO the Maths WPI is 90% Protein, 91-92% max. 5% flavouring, sweetners, emulsifiers, gums..... So lets say the WPI magiacally has 92% protein, the sum would be 92 X .95 (being the percent of WPI in the blend)= 87.4% protein... How can it be advertised that protein content is over 90%. I am no math genius (obvious by my simple equation) but i find it hard to believe these companys advertising over 90% in a blend.

Can someone clarify this for me, or tell me if i am wrong? I would love to know if there is a site that will give independent certification of each of the proteins they have for sale. Does this exist??

To answer your questions, i do not sell supplements as of yet. I can not financially test products, also most companys will not participate in testing of product. There are also ways of botching the testing process, that is why the reputable companys do regular batch testing. To clarify your protein score, no companys to my knowledge score over 90% The ones that do have another ingredient to give a higher reading and will generally explain this higher reading. I have seen lab analysis of several mainstream brands and also the Tribulus testing of where the protodioscin percentages are tested, some of this testing is to help market a particular brand who undertook the testing. My reviews are designed around mainly pre workout supplements, protein and weight gainers, i rely on the accuracy of the labelling as i hope all companys adhere to relevant labelling laws. Pre-workout drinks are a supplement that is designed to give a immediate effect to the user. When i look at a pre workout drink i look at these areas, performance, stimulant based or not and what if any cheap fillers are being used. These 3 areas will determine whether this product is worthy so to speak. I do not personally buy any products i review, nor do i recomend any product, it is what it is. As the name supplement suggests it is that a supplement, each person has his own take on it. My take is, the supplement industry is worth in the high single billion dollars annually. There has to be accountability, responsibility and regulation of the industry, while i cant on my own do this, i can point both good and bad points in mainstream supplement's. Hope this helps.

AZZA

Supercut1980, to clarify something for me are you in the supplement industry as such? You have previously in threads mentioned 2 different companys, these are QLD based, Your QLD based, you also noted that you had purchased a 20kg bag of protein. How was it? What was its percentage of protein? Did you have it tested?
AZZA

UPDATE TIME

Its been a little while for me. I haven't trained for over 2 weeks and started feeling a bit run down. I've been detoxing a bit and had some blood work done at the natroupath. I'm iron deficient, have a virus, need some help with gut health and run down. Most of this is probably lifestyle and work, other maybe from the bad gastro bug i had at Christmas time. My other major one was my lactose intolerance and possible gluten allergy. I've been lactose intolerant for a number of years now. Recently it's become worse with only small amounts of dairy sending me to the porcelain god. Over the weekend i started a mild detox, excluding all dairy and wheat based foods. Added in fresh pineapple for the bromaline at brekkie, lean cuts of meat, more water, more veg, and have taken out as much sugar, processed food and coffee. The pineapple helps with digestive enzymes for proteins, some bb'ers have been using this and also beetroot has a NO type effect before training. Try it, its cheap, but dont buy canned.

Supplement wise i have little left to review right now. I was hoping to do the Primordial Pre-Max (its good) review but need more hardcore gym sessions yet. Other than that some supps i though may be here now havent showed up. On a positive note i have been through a supplement manufacturers factory and seen a different side of the supplement industry. (positive) The reason for doing this was to first see what quality the raws are and to see the general process's that the supps go through for packaging. I have a supp business registered called Pro Supps and maybe blending some of my own products in the future. I will be overseeing the quality control and formulations. The accredited business does the rest. I will be touring other facilitys before i make my decision. I also have another supplement business idea that no one else is doing that will realy help in a financial way for members watching there pennys. I will be speaking with the mods here when the time comes. More importantly the reviews stay the same.

My aim when i started the reviews was to try as many products as possible, find the quality products that meet the expectations i have and share this knowledge with as many members and guest here as possible. Even though i have a vested interest you can sleep easy knowing that i do not have a conflict of interest. Supplements are what they are and it is what it is, fact or crap i will write it up here.

Need more product to review so its time for me to start emailing and getting on the blower.

AZZA

Sounds good Azza (apart from the bug). I'd love to hear your supplement idea. PM me if you like. ;)

SUPPLEMENTS JUST IN

On Friday i got a few more samples from Eric and Ian at EMI Nutrition, they distribute ON, Universal and Prolab.

A couple of new flavours of ON Gold Standard Whey, Mocha Cappuccino, Strawberry Banana and Banana Cream.

Prolab Isolate and N-Large 2

Universal Storm, Intra-Aid, Shock Therapy, Real Gains WEF and a Doctors Carb Rite Diet Bar.
These samples i will start reviewing next week, hoping to start at the gym toomorow.

AZZA

SUPPLEMENT REVIEW PROLAB N-Large 2 Chocolate.

Taste-4 STARS
Mixability-5 STARS
Digestability 4 STARS
Protein Type WPC
Other Goodies None, its a weight gainer.
Cost Per Serve $2.64 based on a 10lb bucket.

Size/Form: 10 lb
Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: 4 Scoops (152g)
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 600
Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat 5 g 8%*
Saturated Fat 3 g 15%*
Cholesterol 100 mg 33%*
Total Carbohydrates 86 g 29%*
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%*
Sugars 28 g **
Protein 52 g 104%*
Calcium 400 mg 40%
Sodium 150 mg 6%
Potassium 400 mg 11%
Whey Protein Concentrate (milk) 70 g **
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
***Daily Value (DV)
Recommended daily dosage: Mix 4 scoops with 16 fl oz. of cold water or milk, using a shaker cup or blender. Best when used between meals and immediately after intense exercise.

Other Ingredients: Whey Protein Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Fructose, Natural and Artificial Flavors and Lecithin.

General comment-I started back training today after a few hiccups, virus, rolled ankle etc. This is my first supplement for some time now. Probably over 5 weeks off all supps. The sample was a half serve (76grams) Taste was good, creamy texture and mixed on cold water went down well and mixed up 100%. To me the serving size of 156 grams is a lot to drink up. If you have a fast metabolism and need the extra calories regardless of where you get them from then this is good. To me its a price pointed weight gainer. WPC is cheap and so is maltedextrin. It needs something extra like MCT's or Glutamine, something like that. For the price though you could double the serves by halving them. I am glad i got to try this product as i have been wanting to.

AZZA

Azza. In your ratings you should have a rating for value. seeing this one has "no goodies" as you put it probably makes it not so good vale for just a weight gainer.

SUPPLEMENT REVIEW OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD WHEY Limited edition Mocha Cappuccino.

Taste-2.5 STARS
Mixability-5 STARS
Digestability 3 STARS
Protein Type WPC, WPI, Whey Peptides
Other Goodies None, Aminogen, digestive enzymes, 4 grams glutamine.
Cost Per Serve $1.29 serve based on 5lb tub
Overall Value for Money 9/10 (NEW FEATURE)

Protein %: 78.94
Carbohydrate Total %: 9.86
Carbohydrate Sugar %: 3.29
Fat Total %: 3.29
Fat Saturated %: 1.64
Sodium %: 0.197
Potassium %: 0.723
Energy KJ/Cal 100g: 1651 / 394
Serving Size: 30.4
Protein Grams Serve: 24
Carb Tot Grams Serve: 3
Sugar Grams Serve: 1
Fat Tot Grams Serve: 1
Sat Fat Grams Serve: 0.5
Sodium Mg Serve: 60
Potassium Mg Serve: 220
Energy KJ/Cal Serve: 502 / 119

General comments-I have used ON as the only protein powder i have purchased over the last 4 years, at one stage i'd go through a 10 lb bag every 3 months. Being lactose free means it sits well and digests well. Taste has always been very good, amongst the best. Price wise its quite good also. This flavour however i am not to fussed on and has a after taste i don't really like. This company has so many flavours its not funny. There seems to be more manufacturers bringing out coffee flavours and i really love my coffee.
I mixed up 2 sample packets and had this in chilled water. Would like to try with milk.

AZZA

SUPPLEMENT REVIEW INIVERSAL

SHOCK THERAPY Grape Splash
STORM Grape Splash
INTRA-AID Blue Raspberry
Real Gains WEF Stawberry Ice Cream
Real Gains WEF Banana

I stacked all these products on Friday.

Pre workout is Shock Therapy, during is Intra-Aid and post workout is Storm, post workout shakes were the Real Gains sample packs x 2.

Shock Therapy

Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestibility 5 STARS
Pump 3 STARS
Vascularity 3 STARS
Intensity 4 STARS
Strength 3 STARS
Endurance 4 STARS
Cost Per Serve $1.85 based on 2.2lb tub.
Value Rating 6/10 represents medium value.

Container Size: 2.22 Lbs.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop
Servings Per Container: 50

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories 36
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Total Carbohydrates 9 g
Sugars 0 g
Selenium (as sodium selenite) 70 mcg
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 200 mg
Niacin (as niacinamide) 10 mg
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 8 mg
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 100 mcg
Sodium 117 mg
(as sodium bicarbonate and trisodium phosphate)
Potassium (as potassium phosphate) 59 mg

Shock Therapy Proprietary Formula 20g
NO Super Pump Complex
Arginine AKG
Citrulline Malate
Carnosine
Muscle Volumizing Complex
Tricreatine Malate
Betaine Anhydrous
Glycocyamine
Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide

Energy & Nootropic Complex
L-Taurine
Choline Bitartrate

S-Methylxanthine Complex
(caffeine, theobromine, theophylline)
L-Tyrosine
Yerba Mate
Evodiamine (98% standardized extract)
Vinpocetine

Antioxidant Complex
Green Tea Extract (standardized for 60% EGCG)
R-ALA (R-alpha lipoic acid)
NAC (N-acetyl cysteine)
Grapeseed Extract
(standardized for 95%polyphenols)

Electrolyte & Ph Delivery Complex
Glucose Polymers
Inulin
Sodium Bicarbonate
Potassium Phosphate
Magnesium Phosphate
Trisodium Phosphate

Other Ingredients:
Maltodextrin, S-Methylxanthine Complex (consisting of standardized kola nut and guarana extracts),silicon dioxide, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, red #40 lake.

Directions: Add 1 scoop to 8-10 ounces of cold liquid. Take one serving 30 minutes pre-workout.

Intra-Aid

Taste 4 STARS
Mixability 4.5 STARS
Digestibility 5 STARS
Pump N/A
Vascularity N/A
Intensity 3 STARS
Strength 3 STARS
Endurance 3 STARS
Cost Per Serve $3.50 based on 800gram tub.
Value Rating 3/10 Very expensive for what it is and compared to the other products here.

1.74 Lbs. Blue Raspberry
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Scoop(~32g)
Servings Per Container25

Amount Per Serving % DV*

Calories 72
Calories From Fat 0
Total Fat <1g 0%*
Saturated Fat 0g 0%*
Total Carbohydrates 10g 3%*
Sugar 5g **
Protein 8g 16%*
Calcium 50mg 5%
Magnesium 50mg 13%
Sodium 100mg 4%
Potassium 100mg 3%

Intra-Aid Proprietary Performance Blend 10,000mg
Beta Alanine **
Taurine **
Leucine **
Isoleucine **
Valine **
Arginine **
Histidine **
Lysine **
Methionine **
Phenylalanine **
Threonine **

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established
Other Ingredients
Intra-Aid Carb Blend™ (Maltodextrin, D-Glucose, Waxy Maize), Partially Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk)(Providing Di-, Tri-, Oligo- And Polypeptides), Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Malic Acid, Acesulfame-K, Sucralose, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1

Storm

Taste 4.5 STARS
Mixability 4 STARS
Digestibility 5 STARS
Pump N/A
Vascularity N/A
Intensity N/A
Strength N/A
Endurance N/A
Cost Per Serve $1.85based on 2.22lb tub.
Value Rating 6/10 about right for this product.

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (10:33g)
Servings Per Container: 80

Amount Per Serving:

Calories 0
Carbohydrates 1g 0%
Sugars 0g
Magnesium 5mg 2%

Hypervol Complex: 5000mg
Tricreatine Malate
Dicreatine Malate
Creatine Monohydrate
Magnesium Creatine Chelate

iNOXsulin-7: 3750mg
L-Taurine
Betaine Anhydrous
Citrulline Malate
Arginine AKG
Glycocyamine
L-ALA
4-Hydroxyisoleucine (20%)

Other Ingredients:
Natural grape flavor, grape skin extract, citric acid, sucralose, acesulfame k, fenugreek extract.

Directions: Use as volumizing supplement to achieve desired cell volumizing effects. Mix 10 oz of cold water with 1 scoop. For best results, take one serving 30 minutes before you workout and one serving within 30 minutes after your workout.

General Comments. I expected a lot from Universal today, the brand is a bit of a icon in the states with the Animal packs. Being my first serious weight session back after 5 weeks off and new gym surroundings i didnt know what to expect. I havent had any pre/post workout drinks for 5 weeks and expected a bit of of a rush. I have even cut back on coffee to 2 cups a day from 6-7. SHOCK THERAPY delivered the first punch, no tingles or anything but a desire to workout hard. Usually on the way to the gym you can feel the active ingredients working, not this one but. Once i started working out it Kicked in as i fought against the weights, i was sipping on the INTRA-AID during sets and the focus was there, endurance was also helped as well as strength, expecting to loose some strength from not working out i was pleasently surprised. Through the workout i then drank the STORM as the catalyst for starting the post workout window. One Real Gains shake and hit the sauna for 20 minutes. After the sauna, shower back to sauna, shower and finished. Slam down another Real Gains Shake and i am spent. While i expected a Shock and a Storm and recieved neither i was impressed with each product. I feel great today, some DOMS are setting in and i looked fuller this morning, almost like i grew some overnight.

AZZA

How can you rate a creatine product after 1 session. Surely creatine needs time to determine effectiveness.

How can you rate a creatine product after 1 session. Surely creatine needs time to determine effectiveness.

My oops, i have the 2 mixed up here, the pre workout is Shock Therapy and the Post Workout is Storm. I'll change it around. FIXED, bad typo's.
AZZA

supplement review

Hey mate where and how did you get all those supplement samples?

Wouldnt mind getting some myself.

Just posted this in the pre/protein advice thread - thought I would post it in here aswell.

I have taken acouple of different pre-workouts this week.

Blake Powder - taste - 7/10
Energy - 8-9/10
Strength - hard to tell

SAN Fierce - Taste - Really bitter but I liked it 9/10
Energy - 10/10 - When I start to talk to myself to pump myself up during training I know Iam onto a good thing.
Strength - Did a similar workout to when I used Black powder and I felt a fair bit stronger on Fierce. 9/10