• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Beginning.

Nightlight

Hey guys,
Please bare with me.

I have been going gym on and off for the past two years, I started lifting when i was 14 but didn't know anything about diets, it was the old dumbbell curl till you drop routine.
The internet taught me at about 15 the complexity of building muscle, and i started doing proper routines with proper diets however i never stuck to it long enough, it was on for 4 weeks then off for 2 months then back on etc.

I started again about 3 weeks ago, actually determined this time.
Thats why i am here, i was just wondering if anyone can give me constructive criticism on my routine.

---
Monday
-
Chin ups (x10, x8, x6)
Upright Rows
Bent over Row
Shrugs
Rear Delt Row
Barbell Curl
Preacher Curl
Reverse Arm curl
Wrist curl
Reverse Wrist curl
DeadLifts

Wednesday
-
Bench Press
Incline bench press
Flyes
Shoulder press
Tricep Extension
Ticep Kickbacks

Friday
-
Squats
Lunges
Hamstring Raises
Standing calf Raises
Leg raises
Seated Calf Raises

---
Also my diet, as i am in my last year of school i have had to quit my job to concentrate on my studies and keep my social life intact. Are there any recommendations on cheap things to take as lunch to school?

Here are some pictures to show you where im at currently,
The quality of the front photo is quite horrible but its the only one i have
We all have to start somewhere

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
(Front)

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
(Back)

THANKS!

*Shudder*

Too much majoring in the minor shit. You've got 3 sets of curls and 2 sets of wrist curls and calf raises. At your age and development all these sections barely need a look in. Rather you should be focusing on the big compound lifts to add mass and build strength. Also why does every beginner always leave deads til last? They're the biggest back builder on the market and deserve more focus.

Dump the split and start a fullbody routine built on compound movements. Search for Starting Strength, or PTC or Fadi's beginner routines. Essentially they will all look be centered around these:
Squats
Deadlifts
Bench
Rows
OH Press
Dips and Pullups

Train, eat and sleep a lot and you will quickly start to build some decent mass.

El Freako is right. Keep it simple. Legs, push, pull. Do a deep knee bend, put something heavy overhead, pick something heavy up off the floor. In every workout lift more weight or the same weight more times than you did last time.

Are you a gym member or working out with your own equipment? If a gym member, get a routine and shown through it by the gym staff. If you have your own equipment, tell us what you have and we can suggest a routine using that equipment.

However I suggest you join a gym. You have a history of quitting when doing it on your own, so obviously being on your own doesn't work for you, if you have instructors and other gym members to encourage you that'll help a lot.

Thanks for the quick reply fellas!

Well, I've taken into account all that has been said and searched up on Fadi's routines and somewhat mixed and matched.
Kyle, Currently as im studying i am working out at home with nothing more then a Barbell, Dumbbell and a bench. However in about a month my exams finish and Christmas holidays begins so i will look at joining a gym asap after that.

So something like..

1.Squats--------------------------------------------------------4 x4-7
2.Standing military press ---------------------------------------3 x4-7
3.Romanian pulls-----------------------------------------------4 x4-7
4.Push ups/weighed--------------------------------------------3 x4-7
5.Barbell curls--------------------------------------------------3 x4-7
6.Barbell bench press-------------------------------------------3 x4-7

That looks alright to teach you the basic movements for a month before joining a gym. I mean, we could offer better routines and quibble with details but it's just for a month, so long as you're learning to squat, pull and push it's fine.

Where are you at in this wide brown land of ours? We're all across the country and so can suggest decent gyms.

Can't you find something to do pullups on? You can even get bars that can be put up in doorways.

And I'd advise bench as the first pushing movement.

Kyle, You can change it up for me if you have the time :) A month is still awhile :(
I live in Sydney, Fairfield area. The western suburbs.

I actually probably can find a place to do pullups on outside.

That is a long read Oliver, I've read most of it though,
Thanks.

I have another question,
At 16 what should your weight goal be?
Or how much weight should you expect to gain in about a month?
I've never been too good at setting goals as im never to sure on how long it should take to achieve them, so i never know if my diets work as good as it should be.

Generally about 2-2.5kg a month is good. Lots of muscle with limited fat. I do this with cardio though, so not sure about you. You probably would gain a bit more fat if doing no cardio.

hey mate, im 16 and doing the PTC program and i recommened you do it! you will notice a difference in no time , just EAT,EAT,EAT

Hey Buncey,
Do you have a link to the program?
Or know where i can find it?

Edit - Nevermind seem to have found it :)

Last edited: