• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The over 30's

Ive placed this in this section but I think it's for all of us.

Who is over 30 and still making good advances in strength and what advice could you give to the younger members on AUSBB?

A bloke, older and wiser said to me yesterday;
"Andy, it seems we need to think sustainable rather than obtainable. Meaning whatever we do today, we can do it again tomorrow.
Never taking so much from ourselves that we can't.
Now that doesn't me we should do the same thing, but we could.

As we age, one workout will never make you, but, one workout can certainly break you."

I barely count as over 30, making decent strength gains, however I had never touched a barbell before the age of 30.

Honestly I want to be lifting until I am in the ground, especially after watching some older relatives lose their mobility and thus independence. So to me, avoiding injury is important, if that means progressing a little bit slower then so be it.

Advice? Start earlier in life and be consistent, if shit is happening in your life at least make it to the gym once per week and try maintain what you have built up so far. You will thank yourself later in life ;)

I am not sure whether I completely qualify for this thread.

I am over 30.. I *think* I am making advances in strength... but then, I also have only just started so it is expected that I am making some gains.
I guess it might be a lot different for those who had been training for years before they got to thirty and already had plenty of strength to start with...

Well we do have some younger traininees in their twenties who are making progress in leaps and bounds, (as they should) but by the time we reach 35~40 we have commitments like; wife, work and family plus working around injury sustained by taking a risk here and there in our twenties.

I'm specifically interested in these people and how they deal with these issues and what they can pass onto the younger blokes and girls here.

This race to a 200kg deadlift for example interests me.

Louie Simmons is still going strong and he's like a kazillion years old now

Old James from PTC Frankston is in his 60s(?) and after 2 years of training was deadlifting 200+

Fossil Whim from PA (though he may have been banned lol) looks 200 and he's still going strong

Louie Simmons is still going strong and he's like a kazillion years old now

Old James from PTC Frankston is in his 60s(?) and after 2 years of training was deadlifting 200+

Fossil Whim from PA (though he may have been banned lol) looks 200 and he's still going strong

What's your point?

People on the forums seem to think they are dinosaurs if they are over 30 and lifting. Having a look at powerlifting plenty of people peak in there strength levels in their late 30s early 40s. Sometimes even later.

People on the forums seem to think they are dinosaurs if they are over 30 and lifting. Having a look at powerlifting plenty of people peak in there strength levels in their late 30s early 40s. Sometimes even later.

This best power lifters peak in their 40's

My training partner is in his 50's and is still s strong as an Ox. The only problem he is having joint issues... Knees and shoulders.
After over a decade out of the gym he is living proof hat muscle memory exists... At 5' 11" and 80kg and only 5 months back in the gym he can comfortably DL just under 200kg's.
To him age is just a number and I can't help but be inspired...

30's is young.
I'd say you might start feeling age coming on in the mid to late 40's?

I'm 37 in a couple of months.
Been playing around with bodybuilding for almost 20 years, on and off, even though it doesn't really show in my physique :(

I hit a new PB on squat, bench and deadlift about a few weeks ago.
Not really training for strength, just want to compare with these guys who specifically train strength.
Deadlifted 200kg (bw 85kg), which was up 10kg from my PB just 3 weeks prior and a week or 2 before that, my deadlift PB was 185kg set a few years prior.

Anyway, I'm hoping to be alot stronger at 40 years old than I am now.
Don't get injuries at all any more for some reason, maybe experience.
Maybe I just don't lift heavy enough.
Maybe it's because I try and progress slowly within my recovery abilities.

Ive placed this in this section but I think it's for all of us.

Who is over 30 and still making good advances in strength and what advice could you give to the younger members on AUSBB?

It really depends on what your goals are and what timeframe you want to achieve them in.

I am 28 and and guidance.

I've learnt from fadi, hulk and sticky is to lift with my brain than my ego. If i can feel that my technique is off. Than i need to revisit my technique.

I don't know :(

I just train as hard as I can and make sure I have adequate nutrition and sleep.

I'm going just as hard or even harder at 40 than when i was at 20 and have done PB's in all 3 main lifts earlier this year.

I've been the leanest I've ever been aswell I should add. :)

I don't know :(

I just train as hard as I can and make sure I have adequate nutrition and sleep.

I'm going just as hard or even harder at 40 than when i was at 20 and have done PB's in all 3 main lifts earlier this year.

I've been the leanest I've ever been aswell I should add. :)

Adrian

Thanks.

I think if one has been training like you then I think by 40 you'd think you'd be at your peak in relation to development and strength.

I wonder if being married, having kids go to school and a mortgage and such makes a difference?
At least in how we view our training?

Imo ..It's not wether u can still advance in strength but more coping with the other things in life. My strength still climbs. I've put on 55kg on my total from a year ago.

This was while working 2 jobs and staying up till 3am to feed my daughter.

A lot of guys at the gym compare me to them when they are 19 and they recover in an instance.

- children they will alter your training diet and unless I have an understanding partner your screwed

- old injuries will come back to haunt u.

After a few more kids stay on gear when I'm 40+ indefinitely ;)

cheers Trent

Last edited: