• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The paralysis by analysis program

0ni

Registered Rustler
Just about every single normal person goes through these issues - whether it's a time/priority issue or maybe just don't know where to start or...maybe they are paralyzed by all the information. So this post is for all of you. I have been there many, many times. And this is how I "solved" it.

1. One lift/day. This allows you a ton of flexibility in your training; it also allows you to train several days/row if need be. Generally speaking, push this lift hard UNLESS you feel like dook. If that's the case - 5's PRO.

This solves the issue of the main lift and part of the programming issue. ONE MAIN LIFT/DAY. Zero fucking compromise.

2. Assistance - if you are in a pinch, the ONLY ASSISTANCE work that is to be done, AT THE VERY LEAST - is something kind of pulling motion. This is done every single time you train. This includes pull-ups, chin-ups, lat pulldowns, any row machine, DB rows, barbell rows, curls, face pulls, etc.

Main Lift - Squat or Deadlift
Assistance - Pull

Main Lift - Bench or Press
Assistance - Pull

So every training day you do ONE MAIN LIFT and ONE "PULL" ASSISTANCE lift. This is non-negotiable. Every time you come in to train you do one main lift and do AT LEAST some kind of pulling movement. Reps are up to you but generally 50-100 total reps.

3. Assistance 2.0 - let's say you have more time, the second assistance option is (of course) doing the one "pull" assistance lift AND one other assistance lift that is the opposite of the main lift. As an example:

Assistance - Pull
Assistance - Push

Assistance - Pull
Assistance - Single Leg/Core

Once again, the "pull" assistance is done for 50-100 reps. The other assistance movement is done for about the same. OBVIOUSLY some movements lend themselves to higher/lower reps. USE YOUR BRAIN! For example - most people can do more reps with the back raise than the straight-legged hanging leg raise. So one is less and one is more. No big deal.

4. Assistance 3.0 - HOLY BALLS - I got more time/energy! In this case, the main lift and the two assistance lifts are the same. But we can now add a third assistance lift. So your training would now look like this:

Assistance - Pull
Assistance - Push

Assistance - Pull
Assistance - Push

Same total reps apply to all assistance lifts as before.

FAQ

Question:
What happens if I can lift two days/row? How on earth has anyone ever, in the totality of the world, done a bench press workout AFTER doing 50 push-ups the day prior? What am I, a fucking robot from hell? IMPOSSIBLE.
Answer: Put on the big boy pants and work harder. This should never, ever be a big deal or be used as an excuse.

Question: What if I want to add some...
Answer: Stop it - you decide nothing.

Question: Should I ever stretch?
Answer: As my mother said, "Is a frog's ass water tight?"

Question: Can I do 1 assistance movement one day and 2 or 3 on the next? Or am I bound by blood (EXODUS!) by the sacred oath to do it one way/other?
Answer: You can do whatever you have the time/energy for. Some days are good. Some days you do the minimum.

Question: What specific warm-up should I do?
Answer: Yes.

Question: I heard from Lifter X that you have to do Y in order to accomplish Z. I can't commit to his program. Should I never lift? Is this true?
Answer: Listen, you have a fucked up schedule and you have a lot of shit going on in your life. It's not perfect. Nothing is. But....you will be fucking awesome if you accept what you have access to and totally believe in what you are doing. Train hard and be consistent and stop searching for something you can't do. Be awesome at what you CAN do.