• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The top 3 most effective ab exercises

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
What are the most effective ab exercises? A study at the Biomechanics Lab at San Diego State University aimed to find out. The researchers tested to see which of the most common abdominal exercises and ab equipment led to the most muscle engagement. Out of thirteen exercises, the traditional crunch came in 11th place. What are the top three exercises?

1. Bicycle maneuver
  2. Captain’s chair
  3. Crunch on a stability ball
The researchers suggest that you choose a few of the highest rated exercises that are comfortable for you. “No matter which method is selected, strengthening the abs is essential for preventing injuries, maintaining good posture, alleviating lower back pain, and improving performance in other athletic pursuits.” The full rankings can be seen below:

1. Bicycle Crunch Exercise
  2. Captain’s Chair Exercise
  3. Ab Crunch on an Stability Ball
  4. Vertical Leg Crunch
  5. Torso Track
  6. Long Arm Crunch
  7. Reverse Crunch
  8. Crunch with Heel Push
  9. Ab Roller
  10. Plank Exercise
  11. Traditional Abdominal Crunch
  12. Exercise tubing pull
  13. Ab Rocker

Captain's chair are for pussies, how about the hanging leg raise where the concentric movement ends when your legs touch your arms. Repeat, profit. Now thats an ab workout.

or hanging toe to bars -

Yeah

This is by far the most effective exercise for the torso, much safer on the back also.

if one can touch the bar with the toes for 10 good slow controlled reps, then their abs would be very strong.

Yeah

This is by far the most effective exercise for the torso, much safer on the back also.

if one can touch the bar with the toes for 10 good slow controlled reps, then their abs would be very strong.

yep no kipping or other weirdness allowed!

I'd say they are using "generic" exercises.

My favourites are:
hanging leg raises
front levers
ab wheel rollouts (progress from knees to toes)

I forgot dragon flags. (hold at 45 deg, HARD!)

Last edited:
I do alright with the ab wheel with the toe action. But hanging leg raises still fuck me up, do you guys just persist and it'll get better after several weeks of training it after every workout? Or should I do weighted situps on the decline bench for starters.

Not a fan of hanging leg raises due to hip flexors being the prime mover and NOT rectus abdominas

Anything that involves spinal flexion, I prefer cable crunches.

Decline situps (situps on decline bench) with a medicine ball held over the head. Abs sure to hurt the next day..

Decline situps (situps on decline bench) with a medicine ball held over the head. Abs sure to hurt the next day..
Illiopsoas is again the prime mover here, with TFL etc being synergists. Abs are just stabilizers. Again not the best exercise to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. incline sit up with good spinal flexion is a better choice IMO

Last edited: