• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The wobbles :/

coaltrain

This is so freaking annoying. I get it particularly with squats and bench.
First set, all good, but then I'm shaking like all fuck.
Like, my legs are just jelly! Makes it difficult to get a full concentration to the workout area for me.
Surely this is a common thing with heavy training.
Who else gets it and what are the causes or ways to get around it??

Currently low carb diet, but frequent meals. I usually have a large tin of chop chop before training. Could be diet huh?
Interesting.

Maybe... not 100% sure though, l know l feel like shit and get 'light headed' if l dont eat for a while then try bust out heavy squats/deadlifts.

Sure. I get that too. Fatigue real early too. It's a constant battle going low carb. Maybe il have to experiment with some tuna on toast before a sesh sometime.

I'm also thinking, improper warm up and not enough stretching. Perhaps the muscle is in a state of shock.

Who else gets this?
I'm sure it must be common. Lol

oh l get it from going too hard too early as well.... Like if l sat on my ass all day then went and did some hill sprints without warming up l feel like my heads being raped and get dizzy.... Could be a bit of both... Try eating the carbs you do eat like an hour or so before the workout....see how it goes.

Nup not me. Have had legs get shaky walking down stairs after a big sesh but never after the first set....

Light headedness and uncontrollable limb shaking can be two different things. One is usual nutrient or blood pressure related and the other reason can be neurological. People shake during but they shouldn't be after a set is done, you could have a micro nutrient deficiency, not enough carbs, dehydration. Go get checked out by a doc for a proper explanation but try upping your carbs first and no they won't make you fat.

Last edited:
how long have you been low-carbing? how low (like how many grams/day)? i've got 2 theories:

1) hypotension: low blood pressure is pretty much a given if you don't keep your electrolytes and hydration up when you're low-carbing or in ketosis (or both). up your sodium intake and ensure you're getting plenty of water in.

2) maybe you've only been low-carbing for a few weeks and you're not totally fat adapted - you're still relying heavily on glycogen which is in low supply and once it's gone you're getting the shakes. i found in the first month of low carbing in particular i was way more susceptible to my energy levels dropping off the low end due to high intensity exercise. now, i'm way more fat-adapted and i can exercise at the back end of a 12hr fast without issue.

i suggest, if you're enjoying the many positive effects of low carbing, and if it doesn't conflict with your training goals then persevere. so long as you keep your fluid intake up to prevent dehydration, keep your sodium intake going to keep your BP in check and hold out for another couple of weeks to allow your body to become better adapted to running primarily on fat, this problem should disappear.

I do plenty of workouts without carbs and don't tend to get that problem but I do have a lot of carbs over the whole day.

Without debating the pros and cons of a low-carb diet here, I race track very competitively without carbs, i log plenty of 4hr+ rides without carbs and i lift at a reasonable intensity without carbs and without experiencing any of the OPs problems. I do monitor my fluid intake, my sodium intake and i've been low carbing for a few months now including occasional intermittent fast but no carb-cycling or loading so i feel i'm quite well "fat-adapted".

based upon my N=1 experimentation, it seems to me that some people (ie, me) don't need carbs in the quantities that a typical western diet provides them to perform at a high level.

to the OPs question, as i said earlier, i reckon if you're low-carbing for a good reason and the diet's pros outweigh its cons then i suggest that your issues with the wobbles can be solved with a combination of electrolytes, water and time.

just on the topic of low-carbing, personally i've found that there's a far greater difference in power output on the bike between when i am or am not supplementing with beta-alanine than when i am or am not eating carbs. carbs are a bit of a non-issue, really...

Without debating the pros and cons of a low-carb diet here, I race track very competitively without carbs, i log plenty of 4hr+ rides without carbs and i lift at a reasonable intensity without carbs and without experiencing any of the OPs problems. I do monitor my fluid intake, my sodium intake and i've been low carbing for a few months now including occasional intermittent fast but no carb-cycling or loading so i feel i'm quite well "fat-adapted".

based upon my N=1 experimentation, it seems to me that some people (ie, me) don't need carbs in the quantities that a typical western diet provides them to perform at a high level.

to the OPs question, as i said earlier, i reckon if you're low-carbing for a good reason and the diet's pros outweigh its cons then i suggest that your issues with the wobbles can be solved with a combination of electrolytes, water and time.

just on the topic of low-carbing, personally i've found that there's a far greater difference in power output on the bike between when i am or am not supplementing with beta-alanine than when i am or am not eating carbs. carbs are a bit of a non-issue, really...

Hey man, I used to race road TT and was also a big fan of low carbing it. Nice to see another cyclist on the forum. I've found that lifting on low carbs and biking on low carbs are two very different beasts and also a lot of people seem to respond completely different to low carb diets for some reason

I eat shit loads of carbs and I get the shakes a little with heavy squats but mainly around hips/core not legs. (and yes they are braced). I just take a big breath and drop, shakes stop then :)