• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Time for a fat tax ?

lex

Is it time for a tax on sugar to try and make Australia slimmer

"the institute finds 36 per cent of adults are overweight and a further 25 per cent obese. And we're starting young. Of children two to 16 years old, 17 per cent are overweight and a further 6 per cent obese. That's nearly one in four children with a weight problem."

Chew the fat on a sugar tax to trim waistlines

Would another tax actually solve anything? People will still buy it just as much.. and where do you draw the line on what's considered fattening?

Excess calories is the problem, not sugar. Leave my ice cream and Apple pie alone, I train fucking hard to enjoy my treats.

It's a combination of high calorie foods and the convenience in which they can be had. If people had to make something instead of just being able to grab the pack of burger rings, or burn through a drive through I believe peoples weight issues would disappear.

even eating healthy meals can lead to over weight

instead it would be a far better option to tax people who drive and encourage drivers to either walk or cycle for exercise

Excess calories is the problem, not sugar. Leave my ice cream and Apple pie alone, I train fucking hard to enjoy my treats.

Exactly don't tax sugar, fatty food and especially not fast food. I train hard and watch what I eat and I enjoy those things when I have them. Why should I pay more for them because some lazy fat shits have no self control.

Why not go the other way and people can get a BF test done and claim money back on there tax if they are in the healthy weight range.

A gun is also harmless, I don't know why I wrote that.

But I think it goes much, much deeper than just banning and taxing shit.

What about some tax relief for people that buy and own gym equipment and memberships?

The problem is there are kunts that evntually figure out how to rort

There's always loopholes for that sorta thing I kinda like bellas idea about the healthy weight range... But once again would be pretty easy to fudge

Its the goverments solution for everything wrong with society these days, create a new tax........

but it is a somewhat effective response: you smoke? you get sick, you cost everyone money to treat you and you die. so, as a society, it is in everyone's best interest to prevent you from smoking. a tax on cigarettes achieves this because either a) the financial burden of smoking is too much and so you stop smoking or smoke less preventing or delaying poor health outcomes or b) you smoke anyway, you get sick and eventually you die, but by paying tax along the way you've subsidized part of the additional burden you've placed on the health system.

i'm pro people doing what they want to do, but when it's to the detriment of everyone else (ie, wasting tax dollars on people with self-inflicted conditions) then it's not really cool.

taxing foods to try to prevent/control obesity and related health issues is a much trickier issue though because there isn't a direct correlation between eating sugar (or whatever) and poor health outcomes as there is with smoking. plenty of people manage to enjoy energy-rich/nutrient-poor foods in moderation. that said, if (and it's a big "if") a tax made it more difficult for at-risk people to make poor decisions then i guess i would happily pay a small contribution to help them out.

The problem is doing nothing increases the cost to society for treating people when they get sick or get diseases caused by obesity etc

Our taxes goes to cover their health costs and it costs more to treat someone who is overweight than someone who is fit (on average)

Carbon tax yeah buddy

tax the hell out of everything. That'd be a great idea.

Like i said in the previous fatty thread... feed em to africa

Fast foods!

Havnt you fixed that double posting?

They need to be clear with the; fat/salt/sugar % on their products, this is just one problem of the obesity epidemic, family education is the other, adults need to be IQ tested before being able to have children, this is how bad society has become.