• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

To the Bodybuilders out there

Mickdog

What do your workouts look like. Most on here seem to encourage the 3 day a week approach. Its workjing for me and something I want to stick with for some time. However I do notice i'm not working a hell of a lot of muscles with the basic programs.

My main goal is to look the part. Not worried about strength simply aesthetics, obviously building strength is something very important if I want to build muscle.

I was looking on exrx.net a great site I used a lot back in my personal training days. Do many use it here?

Max-ot is an awesome workout. Got my best gains ever from that. Hypertrophy is a dirt word here so I don't see you getting rained on with the advice you want. As long as your compounds are at the start of your workout and your resting/eating enough go for it.

Google max-ot and see what you think.

Most of all if people disagree with those types of workouts tell them to try them first.

Max-ot is an awesome workout. Got my best gains ever from that. Hypertrophy is a dirt word here so I don't see you getting rained on with the advice you want. As long as your compounds are at the start of your workout and your resting/eating enough go for it.

Google max-ot and see what you think.

Most of all if people disagree with those types of workouts tell them to try them first.

I agree and don't understand why a bodybuilding forum is not about bodybuilding. Its hilarious. Any other forums dedicated to bodybuilders that have bodybuilders post on them?

I disagree that hypertrophy is a dirty word here. Sure the 3 day a week program style is pushed but that is because it is best for beginners, and doesn't just have to be for strength. PTC's beginner program is based more in a hypertrophy rep-range and actually covers all muscle groups quite well. These type of programs allow frequency and consistency which are a newb's best friend. Why would you need to do a bodypart split, training everything once a week when you're barely using any of your muscle's potential due to undeveloped neural pathways.

The "walk before you can run" philosophy is the main argument here. Sure a beginner will put on size by doing any program but if they aim for strength first and foremost they will develop technique and cultivate more neural pathways to utilise a greater percentage of their muscle's potential. Hypertrophy will still be a by-product and when they are strong they can use bigger poundages and combined with diet will therefore build bigger muscle.

You think you aren't growing enough on something like PTC's Beginner Program? Then eat more because hypertrophy is mostly dependant on diet anyway.

Hey Mick I haven't seen that site before, i'll have to give it a look.

I've always been fan of bodybuilding - my first gym was a hardcore bodybuilding gym run by an ex-Mr Australia - so i was raised on traditional bodybuilding splits.
These days I very much enjoy making strength gains, but my bread and butter is still the 'assistance' work I do afterwards, which is effectively a BB split.

Personally I think training like a BB is great - it feels good, the higher reps and low rest is pretty good for the heart and fitness in general, and you get to be big and look good. It's also easier to have a more normal diet, because you burn so many calories with the higher work rate than strength or powerlifting.
Obviously there are also benefits to strength training, or we wouldn't do it.

You are working all your muscles with the big compund lifts - you're just not isolating them, which accounts for the different feeling obviously.

If you want a good BB split there's a heap out there, and most guys will tell you something different. You can get some of the effect with 3 days a week, but traditionally BB'ers will train at least 5 or 6 days.

Something like:
Chest / Shoulders / Tri's -- Mon, Thurs
Quads / Hams / Calves -- Tues, Fri
Back / Bi's -- Wed, Sat

In my opinion and experience, hitting each body part with a reduced volume but increased frequency is very effective.
I don't currently train like this for various reasons but when I did I was at my biggest, leanest and most aestheticly pleasing.

For combined strength and size gains I reckon you can't go past trying 5/3/1. It's what I use now. 4 days a week, do your major lift to begin, then follow up with a traditional BB split.

Example:
Mon- Bench 5/3/1, Dips, Dumbell bench, Dumbell Flies, Skullcrushers
Tues- Deadlift 5/3/1, Chins, Dumbell rows, hyperextensions
Thurs- Squats 5/3/1, SLDL, Front squats, calf raises
Fri- Shoulders and Bi's.

End of the day you need to understand what you're programing and train however works well for you.

Last edited:
Hey Mick I haven't seen that site before, i'll have to give it a look.

I've always been fan of bodybuilding - my first gym was a hardcore bodybuilding gym run by an ex-Mr Australia - so i was raised on traditional bodybuilding splits.
These days I very much enjoy making strength gains, but my bread and butter is still the 'assistance' work I do afterwards, which is effectively a BB split.

Personally I think training like a BB is great - it feels good, the higher reps and low rest is pretty good for the heart and fitness in general, and you get to be big and look good. It's also easier to have a more normal diet, because you burn so many calories with the higher work rate than strength or powerlifting.
Obviously there are also benefits to strength training, or we wouldn't do it.

You are working all your muscles with the big compund lifts - you're just not isolating them, which accounts for the different feeling obviously.

If you want a good BB split there's a heap out there, and most guys will tell you something different. You can get some of the effect with 3 days a week, but traditionally BB'ers will train at least 5 or 6 days.

Something like:
Chest / Shoulders / Tri's -- Mon, Thurs
Quads / Hams / Calves -- Tues, Fri
Back / Bi's -- Wed, Sat

In my opinion and experience, hitting each body part with a reduced volume but increased frequency is very effective.
I don't currently train like this for various reasons but when I did I was at my biggest, leanest and most aestheticly pleasing.

For combined strength and size gains I reckon you can't go past trying 5/3/1. It's what I use now. 4 days a week, do your major lift to begin, then follow up with a traditional BB split.

Example:
Mon- Bench 5/3/1, Dips, Dumbell bench, Dumbell Flies, Skullcrushers
Tues- Deadlift 5/3/1, Chins, Dumbell rows, hyperextensions
Thurs- Squats 5/3/1, SLDL, Front squats, calf raises
Fri- Shoulders and Bi's.

End of the day you need to understand what you're programing and train however works well for you.

5/3/1??? Is that the reps you perform for all the exercises mate or just the compounds?

Was thinking of trying a split like this. Will I see good results???

Monday
Legs
Squat
Leg Press
SLDL
Leg Curls
Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise

Tuesday
Chest
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Flys

Wednesday
Back
Bent Over Rows
Wide Grip Chins
Narrow Grip Chins

Thursday
Shoulders
Behind Neck Press
Upright Rows
Shugs

Friday
Arms
BB Curls
Preacher Curls
Close Grip Press
DB Tri Ext
Wrist Curls

Saturday
Abs
Crunches
Reverse Crunches
Twisting Crunches
Bridge

Am I a powerlifter if I train like one and live like one but dont compete?
How about if I surf every morning but i'm not Kelly Slater?

Your a powerlifter if you compete in powerlifting otherwise you just lift weights to get stronger.

Your not a footy player if you go out and kick the footy a couple times a week.

A bodybuilder competes in bodybuilding otherwise you just lift weights to look better.

I've been playing guitar for 13 this years. Am I a guitarist? I'd say so. Is Joe Satriani a guitarist? Yeah. Am I even close to being as talented as Joe? No way!!

5/3/1??? Is that the reps you perform for all the exercises mate or just the compounds?

Was thinking of trying a split like this. Will I see good results???

Monday
Legs
Squat
Leg Press
SLDL
Leg Curls
Calf Raise
Seated Calf Raise

Tuesday
Chest
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Flys

Wednesday
Back
Bent Over Rows
Wide Grip Chins
Narrow Grip Chins

Thursday
Shoulders
Behind Neck Press
Upright Rows
Shugs

Friday
Arms
BB Curls
Preacher Curls
Close Grip Press
DB Tri Ext
Wrist Curls

Saturday
Abs
Crunches
Reverse Crunches
Twisting Crunches
Bridge

Man that's the hugest question ever asked. As in there's no way I could give you an answer that meant anything.
It would depend on your reps and sets performed, how well you do them, your recovery, etc etc etc, as well as YOU - everything works individually for different people.

That said, no, it's not a great program. Your best bet is to follow the advice of someone more experienced (not necessarily me) and get yourself a well balanced program.

I'll PM you with a couple later tonight.

Someone who performs weight training with the primary intention of stimulating muscular hypertrophy, and strength / performance as secondary and relatively unimportant goals.

This

Although I would remove the second part altogether.

A bodybuilder is, as the name would suggest, someone who trains to build there body (with different goals therein, mass, aesthetics etc)

But I'm pretty sure Silverback was just being obtuse... we've had this discussion before

Man that's the hugest question ever asked. As in there's no way I could give you an answer that meant anything.
It would depend on your reps and sets performed, how well you do them, your recovery, etc etc etc, as well as YOU - everything works individually for different people.

That said, no, it's not a great program. Your best bet is to follow the advice of someone more experienced (not necessarily me) and get yourself a well balanced program.

I'll PM you with a couple later tonight.

Thanks mate would appreciate it. I need to have a talk to the owner of my gum. He competes and will have some great programs. I really want the bodybuilder look but have no interest in competing.

My program should be during the week as I rarely can make the gym on weekends. Thanks for the help again