• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Torsonator?

siiiski

Hey guys thinking of buying a torsonator for my home gym, to add some variety and different exercises, just wondering if anyone has any experience/opinions in them? I understand i could get the same result by putting a barbell in the corner of the room.. but i dont have any free corners haha.

Also thinking it might be good for my shoulder being able to press somewhat overhead without going through the full overhead ROM (where i begin to get pain)

Only good for t bar row everything else is shit.

Save some dollars and steal scaffold wall tie which is the same but with no lateral movement.

Can be had for $20 from a scaff supplier if your one of those ****s with ethics who won't steal.

0811052309427486110004.jpg

Bolt it to the floor then put your bar in the swivel clip. You can buy the torsonator t bar handles cheap online.

I have been using it for meadow rows lately. prob one of my favourite row variations. Landmine shoulder press is a pretty damn good pressing exercise also

A good torsonator isn't expensive (i got mine from Aussie strength) and they do add variety and are useful for some sports specific stuff

cheers for the help guys, will have to look into it further, or looking into making something like Brick suggested.

Keep your eyes out on grays online.

I see them going for $9 - $49 all the time.

They are really solid and well made too!

Only good for t bar row everything else is shit.

Save some dollars and steal scaffold wall tie which is the same but with no lateral movement.

Can be had for $20 from a scaff supplier if your one of those ****s with ethics who won't steal.

0811052309427486110004.jpg

Bolt it to the floor then put your bar in the swivel clip. You can buy the torsonator t bar handles cheap online.

Would the BB row be a better option?

Would the BB row be a better option?

When my back is playing up the t-bar seems to alleviate some of the stress, also if I don't feel like thrashing my back anymore after deadlifts I will do t-bars instead. I like em, but I'm not saying they are better then a bb row, just different, with the varying grips etc.

When my back is playing up the t-bar seems to alleviate some of the stress, also if I don't feel like thrashing my back anymore after deadlifts I will do t-bars instead. I like em, but I'm not saying they are better then a bb row, just different, with the varying grips etc.

Brick, how is the T-bar (for you) "alleviating some of the stress"?

Are you saying that the angle of your torso between the two variations makes a difference?

I personally dislike T-bar type rows, the movement feels restrictive.
If I am using the row as a focus to biuld strength and flexibility of the upper back I either use the BB, and if my back really feels fatigued, (because dead-lifting can do this) I prefer using DB's and a bench.

I'm asking only because I'm interested in your thoughts.

I don't rate the "torsonator" highly

Brick, how is the T-bar (for you) "alleviating some of the stress"?

Are you saying that the angle of your torso between the two variations makes a difference?

I personally dislike T-bar type rows, the movement feels restrictive.
If I am using the row as a focus to biuld strength and flexibility of the upper back I either use the BB, and if my back really feels fatigued, (because dead-lifting can do this) I prefer using DB's and a bench.

I'm asking only because I'm interested in your thoughts.

I don't rate the "torsonator" highly

TBH I think it has to do with the pivot been a little kinder breaking the floor, that is generally where I experience initial symptoms of discomfort in bent over movements. It's a little more fluid without the shock of having to peel a dead weight of the floor. This could be unique to me and my back problems thought.

I tend to stand a little more upright rowing on the tbar with a moderate grip or v handle then I do doing bent rows.

Part of the movement restricition is probably what makes it less of a strain.

TBH I think it has to do with the pivot been a little kinder breaking the floor, that is generally where I experience initial symptoms of discomfort in bent over movements. It's a little more fluid without the shock of having to peel a dead weight of the floor. This could be unique to me and my back problems thought.

I tend to stand a little more upright rowing on the tbar with a moderate grip or v handle then I do doing bent rows.

Part of the movement restricition is probably what makes it less of a strain.

I tend to agree Brick, although I don't have any back problems it's definitely a more fluid motion and actually find it less restrictive than a BB row plus you have the added advantage of being able to use a variety of grip types

Like this Sticky.

torsonator-single-detail-7.jpg

I've got one. Don't mind it but don't use it that often. I used to use it a lot for tabata stuff at lighter weight actually. The extension handle makes it a lot harder too.

I love close grip v-bar rows on the torsonator. Load them up nice and heavy.

The reason I like them more is because there's less hip pivot that goes on compared with BB Row. However, I'm about to transition back to BB row to see what growth the BB row might spark.