• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training a bodypart twice a week

A

angelstyle

Hi, I just bought Ronnie coleman's book Hardcore. in it he says to train bodyparts twice a week. i have time to do this but I am scared it might be overtraining. Then I think look at him hes the best olympia ever. Could he be right. Ive always been taught less is more and only workout 45 to one hour at a time, hitting bodyparts once a week. I am getting good results and dont feel sore anymore so do you think I should increase my load?
I know Ronnie Coleman is on steroids but I am on eurycoma longifolia and maybe with the increased test levels I can train six days a week?
i think Im still natural its just a herb but it increases test. What do you guys think?:cool:

if anything it sounds like your undertraining. whats your workout look like? personally i do a full body workout at least 3 times a week and im nowhere near overtraining lol

If E.L increased test levels to a level where it enhanced your performance in any way it would be banned by the TGA even if it is a herb. Ephedra is a herb and it's banned. Please do not assume because you take this you can increase your workload.
Ronnie is an gear as you said and you should not attempt his style of workouts in regards to volume.

Do 3 full body workouts every week and you'll do fine.

From personal experience, 3 weight training sessions a week for a natural trainer is enough to achieve maximal gains.
We all recover differently though.

I usually target a specific main muscle group per workout, and do the opposite smaller muscle work out at the same time. Which is different to most people, but to me it means that the smaller muscles get smaller workouts but more of them.

I usually do, chest and bis

then back and tris

then legs and shoulders

with a days rest inbetween if possible to space it that way

I`m guessing you are not built like Ronnie Coleman so you wouldn`t want to train like him.I`ve known BB`s who only train a body part once a week but do it so viciously that is all they could afford to do.
Horses for courses.

Match your training to your diet, I have most success with 3 times a week full body sessions

well...god i'm in trouble then...

A little while ago, i was squatting AND bench pressing 4 times a week, between the ranges of 70-90%...plus i smashed some great PB's. It's a great way to go as a powerbilder. As a bodybuilder? not sure. Ronnie'd be on some pretty amazing wizz fizz. Be happy with 3 full body workouts a week, eat right & lets reasses the situation in 5 years

It depends on where you are at in your training. There are three stages to training: learning, balancing, and strengthening.

What is the purpose of a split routine? It's for when you can push your muscles so hard that it takes them 3-6 days to recover. If you work out on Monday and are still sore on Friday, perhaps you need a split routine; if you're better by Wednesday then you don't.

Learning (1-3 months)
In the first 1-3 months you're not really increasing muscle, you're just learning the movements. For example, I have more muscles than Ricky Ponting, but he can bowl faster than me, simply because he knows how to best exert his strength for the bowling effect. Likewise with lifting a bar with plates on it.

In those first 1-3 months you simply can't work out with the intensity that'll make you still sore days afterwards. You're still learning how to exert your strength for best lifting effect.

Balancing (3-6 months)
After then, that's when real muscle growth starts. But there are a zillion different muscles in our body, and they work together to do lifts. Problem is, before we lifted we had all these muscle imbalances. For example, office workers usually have weak backs and legs, because they don't use them. But when we bench press, even though we're not working the back directly, it does support us.

So that the first muscle growth is just correcting the imbalances we had. These are best corrected by big compound movements like squatting. It's very common, for example, for people's front thigh (quadriceps) to be much stronger than their back thigh (hamstrings).

On a split routine I have to do lots of isolation exercises, like leg extensions and leg curls on machines. I'll push my quads to their limit and they'll get stronger, and push my hams to their limit and they'll get strong - the imbalance will still be there.

But if I squat, then my strong quads will get to relax, and my weak hamstrings will be worked very hard until they become balanced with the quads. Then the two can both be worked hard, and grow stronger together.

This period of getting generally stronger and correcting imbalances will last another 3-6 months at least. It can be made longer - even years - if the trainee decides to be Mr Chest & Biceps, or to never train legs. So together with the learning phase, we have at least 4-9 months of using big compound movements.

Strengthening (6-12 months)
Is it time to do split routines yet? For some, yes, for most, no. If the person started off naturally strong (eg they have years of sport or martial arts behind them) then at this stage they'll be able to work with great intensity, and maybe they're still sore four days later, so splits will be good for them.

However, most people have years of being sedentary behind them, so they still need time to get stronger and build up their workout intensity. Thus there's another 6-12 months in which they can get good growth from big compound exercises. No splits.

There might be some isolation exercises here, but just to bring up some lagging bodyparts - not true imbalances, just something you want to focus on, perhaps because of a sport you're doing. But still not split routines.

Altogether, from start of training to being ready to do splits, we're looking at 10-23 months.

These are rough times of course, some people adapt more quickly, others more slowly. Some are coming back to training from a long break, they'll be quicker than those entirely new to it. Others as I mentioned slow themselves down by "I don't want to do legs" or "I don't like a scheduled workout, I just do whatever I feel like" or someone has them spend a lot of time on Swiss balls doing tricep kickbacks, and that slows them down.

But most people will need 1-2 years of good solid training on the big compound lifts in full-body workouts before splits will make any sense. Are you there yet? Can you do lifts like benching and rowing your bodyweight, squatting x1.75bw, and so on? If not, then you probably aren't ready for split routines.

If so, then full-body with compound lifts, 2-3 times a week.

If you are ready for split routines, congratulations! You're far above me and I can't advise you, ask someone more experienced :D

Last edited:
If your genetics, experience, diet, intensity and steriod cycle are the same as Ronnie's I dont see why it would not work.

If you're an average joe train like one.

Angel,

You don't state in your question what you are training for. As for building muscles, you can train the bodypart 3 times a week as long as your recovery system will allow it. The program can be based on a full body workout where you always stop one rep short of failure and only do enough sets to stimulate the muscles instead of annihilate them. Once a muscle is stimulated, it cannot be "more" stimulated. That's why you see bodybuilders loosing the pump they worked hard to get when they decide to prolong their sets.

If you are after strength and power as in weightlifting and powerlifting, then the more you can train a muscle the better (with a good periodisation plan). I was squatting 5 times a week when Olympic weightlifting. As I turned to bodybuilding and started training differently and accordingly; I added about 3.5 inches to my already muscular legs taking them to 28" at a height of 164cm (5, 4").

So please, don't believe everything the pros tell you especially when it's not one on one and you don't know that particular pro. I'm speaking from experience mate. What we used to know amongst ourselves stayed in that circle and was not made for public consumption. As you can see, I'm passed that stage now which gives me the freedom to speak freely.

Fadi.