• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training advice wanted!

kyle.a_96

Just after a bit of advice/tips on my training routine. I turned 18 last november and have been training regular for approx 18 months

Basically i have been doing a mixture of Hypertrophy Specific Training and a normal body building routine.

HST

I train Monday, Wednesday and Friday and do 2 week lots of 15 reps, 12 reps and 8 reps. Basically I use the first day of training on each rep cycle to find my Maximums and then slowly work back up to them from my last day on that specific rep cycle

E.g for 15 reps my max on bench is 50kgs and each day I slowly build up by doing 40kg, 42.5, 45 kg, 47.5 kg and then 50kgs

I then repeat this for the 12 rep and 8 rep cycles then have a week off training and do it all over again.

For HST I do a full body workout and this is the exercises I do

Bench x 2
Flys x 1
Shrugs x 1
Bicep Curl x 2
Skull Crushers x 2
Lat Pull Down x 2
Front and Side Lateral Raises x 2
Leg press x 2
Calves x 1
Deads x 1

The other routine I do is split up my training into Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Shoulders/Legs and do as much as I can on every set and 10 reps

Chest/Tri

Bench x 3
Flys x 3
Incline Dumbell Press x 3 or Cables x 3

Skull Crushers x 3
Close grip Bench x 3

Back/Bi

Bend over rows with one dumbell x 3
Lat pull down (wide grip) x 3
Lat pull down (close grip) x 3

Bicep Curles (barbell) x 3
Bicep Curles with dumbells super set with hammer curls x 3

Shoulders/Legs

I do front raises, side raises, upright raises and reverse flys all one after each other and 8 reps x 3

Leg press x 3
Squats x 3
Deads x 3
Calves x 3

I am also considering going 6 days a week to the gym for the split routine so on Monday i'd do Chest/Tri then do it again Thursday etc - would this be classed as over training?

Looking forward to getting some advice!

Tip : whenever you ask for advice on your workout routines, always state your goals.

If we don't know what you are seeking to achieve, how can we make an honest appraisal of your current regime?

cheers

Oh, one other quick point. If your current 15 x Repetition Max is 50kgs on the bench during HST, your actual 1RM is way higher, probably around 160-170 pounds or 72-75 kgs. Are you using this much during your 'normal bodybuilding routine' ?

Last edited:
Tip : whenever you ask for advice on your workout routines, always state your goals.

If we don't know what you are seeking to achieve, how can we make an honest appraisal of your current regime?

cheers

Oh, one other quick point. If your current 15 x Repetition Max is 50kgs on the bench during HST, your actual 1RM is way higher, probably around 160-170 pounds or 72-75 kgs. Are you using this much during your 'normal bodybuilding routine' ?

Basically I want to put on mass, but at the same time maintain a reasonable body fat % and stay relatively slim, but I guess that is more diet than training (I posted my diet in the nutrition section)

I have never done 1RM's but for 12 reps my max was 60kg and 70kg for 8 reps

Basically I want to put on mass..

OK, leaving aside diet then, how's your current program working for you then? Are you happy with the mass gain? Is there any? If no mass, is anything changing/changed in the last 18 months?

We can go from there.

P.S. If you can get out 8 reps of 70kgs, your 1RM is more like around 84-87kgs (70kgs x 1.2) as a guestimate. Which means on your HST programme, you're only currently working (at max) at about 55-57% of your maximum. Most of your sets are at levels well below that. This might be important later on...

Last edited:
If i was you i'd focus on a strength/mass program
5x5 major focus on compound lifts - some people say strength, but i bulked up wicked doing this and gained awesome strength. So when i switched routines to more bodybuilding style program i was lifting solid weight.
I think you would overtrain at 6 days a week. I would overtrain at 6 days a week

Through HST I dropped about 2-3 kg but slimmed down a bit although I did get more defined. At the moment I'm on the other routine (have been for 1-2 weeks and I have been getting decent gains) I'm not sure if I should start dieting by eating tons of food and train 5 x 5 as you suggest TTTTTT

Maybe I should try and smash on some mass over the next month and then go back to hst/diet to trim down a bit