• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training help. Strength but not size.

Tall_Tim

Hey guys

I dont usually comment in the forums because Im not experienced enough to give advice on BodyBuilding, I generally just read and learn most of the time, however I do need some help...

Im a martial arts nut. However for my last tournament I very nearly had to fight up a weight division due to my weights and diet program working a little too well and had to go into a not so good diet 3 weeks out to make the weight and felt a little "underpowered" while training in the home stretch...

Im at 78kg now and I have to stay under 80kg but still keep my strength however I am aware that as you get stronger you eventually get bigger. I eat very clean with lots of veggies, pastas and lean meats. I want to develop more explosive power in my punches kicks and knee strikes. At training we do lots of pushups, squats, crunches (generally plyometric) and flexibility training and I have a core strength program that I incorporate into my weight training sessions.

Im fighting again in November (just over 2 months away) and I dont want the same problem again.
Would a 5x5 program concisting of the major lifts (squat, deadlift, bench, shoulder press and weighted pullups) 3 times a weeks work better than splits?
I know there are some excellent athletes in here and any help would be appreciated.

The proportionally strongest guy in my class at PT school does only martial arts bodyweight work, so that alone can make you pretty strong.

However, if that's not enough... A 5x5 programme is excellent for developing strength. On this forum, many of us follow that programme or something similar. This will also improve core strength. If (for example) a wall squat with a fitball and zero kg builds core strength, what does a squat with 80kg on your back do?

For truly explosive strength, or "muscular power" as it's fancily called, I know that weightlifters (ie "olympic" style) have this in large amounts, but are not always very big in size. On this forum, we have at least one weightlifter, Nick (NPR), I'm sure he can comment on that more usefully than me.

The key thing for whether you get bigger is diet. Your body must have raw materials to build more muscles. If it doesn't, you may get stronger but won't get bigger. There is of course a limit to this, strength and size go together - that's why your sport and weightlifting both have weight divisions - they're just not perfectly together, if you know what I mean.

More food will make you heavier. Less will make you lighter.

More weight on the bar will make you stronger.

You need to train like an MMA fighter.

You do no explosive lifts with weights yet want to get explosive.

The powerclean will be your friend. Include speed benching and push presses.

Every program should include squatting, vary the reps.

Circuit type workouts are best for your sport.

My favourite is the effort workout.

squats
push press
powercleans
bench press

Do this continuos, non stop for 30 minutes, use at least 40kg on each bar, do 10 reps on each exercise.

I'm sure no powerlifter trains like a martial arts guy, so why train like a powerlifter, hope this helps

Thanks guys, much appreciated - Ill put a few of these ideas into practice

As for:
You do no explosive lifts with weights yet want to get explosive.

I use less weight so i can move through the movement with more speed. Fast out exhaling and slow down inhaling (deadlift being an exception.) I used to train in MMA and we mostly did body weight exercises. Dont get me wrong I appreciate your advice and taking the time to reply to my post but I think you made a wrong assumption :p

I'm into fighting but I also enjoy lifting weights - I only want to see what programs would benefit me without one hobby comprimising another.

I think you are clueless as to what is an explosive movement. I made no assumption, I looked at the exercises you listed.

Moving a light weight fast is not an explosive movement. Not one that is going to be any benefit to you. An explosive movement is one you CANT do slowly. I can bench slow, squat slow, deadlift slow. I cant clean slow.

Powercleans, full cleans, jerks, power snatch, hang clean, push press.

Which of these do you do.

I actually have Randy Courture's program, a friend, John Donahue brings him out to Australia.

Is he top flight enough for you to copy.

Ultimately, people will do what they want.

Free advice, if you ask a question you dont know the answer too, at least listen to the guy who may know the answer. I did a whole newsletter on the way MMA fighters train. Guess you missed that one.

Good luck.