• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

True Protein PRE and POST

I tried your protein and it is one of the better tasting ones IMO, but that is in no way related to this product. I consider myself un-bias, and I recall this was the reason you send me the test samples.

The samples were protein, protein is food, and can be used for convenience, but 392grams of protein with a $1 worth of sugar selling for $50…no thanks.

I probably have not had a protein shake since I reviewed your last sample, personally I have had a shakes, and I have not had them and noted no difference, the best use I have ever found for a shake was to have one just before going to bed, stopped me waking up hungry during the night.

You're not acknowledging the 15g of amino's stack per serve / the flavouring components involved / process in putting a blend with 9 ingredients into commercial production. Of course you can buy everything in unflavoured for cheaper and make your own mix. It will taste disgusting but that's your choice. If we released a blend of protein and Dextrose and wanted $50 I would understand where you're coming from but we're not, so I don't know if you've misread the ingredients or something.

In the whole scheme of things, it isn't even all that expensive.
You pay around $50 for 900g of ON Gold, MP Combat, etc. All the major names of commercial protein anyway.
This has got a lot more ingredients in it, but you do get less servings.

I'm over a week in to using these and am pretty happy with both. Excellent energy and pumps from the True-Pre. Just put an order in for another bag.

Ok, While I have a moment respite from the lil fella, I will be posting my review of the True-Protein Pre and Post workout products kindly forwarded to me by [MENTION=17550]JUST.BLAISE[/MENTION];

I will be taking the same format as brutha [MENTION=17161]White_Lie[/MENTION]; for ease of following : (+ I can cut and paste :cool:)

TRUE PROTEIN - PRE-WORKOUT

Taste - 4/10

So, I'd like to preface this with the fact that I informed JUST.BLAISE that I consider myself as someone who typically didn't respond to pwo's. To their credit, I was sent a pack to critique anyway knowing full well that my review of this product may be a little biased against it.

Nothing new on the taste front imo. I've never LIKED the taste of a pwo, and would challenge most to name one that was actually 'tasty'.

As with all pwo's, just mix and skull the thing back. It's not meant to be savoured imo. Get it in ya!

Mixability - 10/10

As noted earlier. No problem. Add water shake and done.

Energy/Focus - 7/10

Considering that this type of product only does one of two things normally (either absolutely nothing, or make me hurl) I must admit I did feel some benefit in taking this product.

- Alertness increased
- No dis-comfort in my stomach
- Relatively 'fresh' towards end of gruelling workout in comparison to other days

Perhaps has something to do with the fact that the serve size (volume) is quite large in comparison to the usual teaspoon sized scoops of others? I don't know.

Either way, out of all the pwo's I've taken in recent times (granted, not many) I actually got something out of it.

As with any stim type product, probably best to cycle as effects may soon diminish if taken week in week out.

Pump - 7/10

Felt fuller and slightly stronger, but could have more to do with the increased alertness over having coffee on its own as I typically do.

SUMMARY TRUE PROTEIN - PRE-WORKOUT : 7/10

All in all, if pwo's are your thing, I would definitely give this a punt.

Not being a heavy pwo user, take that advice as you best see fit.

Good points :

- Increased alertness
- No tweaky jitters
- Sustained energy
- Elevated pump

Not so good points :

- Tastes like stagnant sweat taken from a goats balls.

TRUE PROTEIN - POST-WORKOUT

Taste - 9.5/10

Loooved the taste. Must have been the dextrose.

I had mine with oats and felt it would have also tasted great with peanut butter if that is your thing.

Tasted like a chocolate thick shake!

First chocolate protein that actually tasted like chocolate imo.

Mixability - 9/10

Mixed great. Mostly used in my bullet-style blender, but also mixed well in the shaker without the oats.

Value for money - 7/10

As mentioned in [MENTION=17161]White_Lie[/MENTION];s review. At the intro price, probably not too bad when factoring in other additives that one might seek to supplement their diet with BCAA's etc..

Moving forward however, I would say this could become a little exxy.

So, the above overall score for the True Protein POST-WORKOUT product is based on all the above factors.

Is this the most economical protein product on the market? Nope. For a lot of people, this may be the deciding factor.

That's not to say that there is not a market for another quality Australian supplier of legitimate product to the gym market.

It's good to see another local supplier on the market and for those who are seeking convenience , I can see True Protein doing well here.

The main reason for using this product moving forward would be for ease of use. If you really are super busy, don't want heaps of containers cluttering the kitchen and don't mind paying a little more certified quality, then this would fit the bill.

Good reviews Testicle (just edit the second summary to say post workout ;) )

Did you sample the regular NZ WPI to compare the taste? If you like this one, I think you'll love that one.

I've been using both products for 2 consecutive weeks; training 6 days a week.

TRUE PRE

Contents
Based on the ingredients, you're getting 6g of BCAAs which is a decent amount in a pre workout, as well at 1.8g of glutamine. This would eliminate the need for an intra workout drink as there's enough BCAAs and glutamine in the PRE and POST for recovery.

There's only 2.5g of creatine per serve which is a little under dosed, but I guess you'd want to add your own creatine supplementation to your post workout drink anyway. However if you're using the TRUE POST shake as well, you'll be getting another 2.5g which would eliminate the need for additional creatine.

There's also 1.8g of beta alanine which will give you the tingles and aid in nitric oxide production for increased muscle pumps. I felt this dosage gave a result a bit above average. I've used other products that were purely pump focused, where this is more of a complete pre workout. Also, I barely got any tingles. It looks like this product isn't trying to give you skin crawling tingles with massive pumps, so don't expect it.

Lastly, there is 250mg of caffeine per serve which is on the high side. I was definitely alert during my workouts, and there was no harsh hit of energy or crashes after the workout. The energy release seemed controlled. I did however have some pretty bad sleeps for the first few days of using this. I train at 5:30pm and go to bed at 11ish.

Mixability
Excellent. No floaty bits or clumps. You barely need to shake it. Add water to a glass and give it a swirl.

Taste
Horrible. I was a little suspicious of the coconut and green apple flavour. I didn't think it was a good choice in flavour, but I was prepared to give it a go. I think it tasted worse than I was expecting. The sourness is overpowering to mask the BCAAs' bitter taste, which I can still taste a bit. There definitely needs to be a flavour that's sweet instead of sour.

Digestion/Effects
I've tried other pre workouts in the past that sit in your throat a bit, have a lingering after taste or feel like you've taken a gulp of a milkshake and are heavy in your stomach. This has none of that. Once the horrible taste was washed down with some water, you're good to go.

As I said above, the energy release was smooth and controlled. It kicked in within 20-30 minutes and I was alert and ready for my workout, even when feeling flat. This doesn't do anything too extreme. The energy hit was about average, the pumps aren't stupidly mind blowing and there were barely any skin tingles. This is more of a complete pre workout that has the recovery properties of a intra workout as well.

Price
The standard price is $45 for 20 serves. So just over $2 a serve. Seeing this is basically a pre workout and an intra workout, that's about $1 a serve each, if you look it that way. Quite good value for money.

Notes
The contents, effects and price are on point; it's just a shame about the flavour. I'm finding it really hard to recommend this if flavour is a factor for you. If it isn't, it's a great product. The added BCAAs, glutamine and creatine means you don't need to buy any of these supplements separately. The TRUE PRE has everything you need in terms of energy and recovery for a competitive price.

Having a correctly sized scoop would also be a positive. The scoop you get is 40g so you need to estimate half a scoop, which would be fine if the scoop wasn't a weird shape. I think a 10g scoop would be best, then people have the option of taking half a serve if they're sensitive to caffeine and just want a mild hit.

Overall I would give this a 8/10. If they could provide better flavours and tweak the formula to give a slightly better pump, I could give this a 10.

TRUE POST

Contents

The post workout protein powder's main ingredients are 28g of WPI and 31g of dextrose per serve. Being WPI, it's just pure protein with no WPC blends. So it will be a rapidly digesting protein powder after your workout. The dextrose will help spike insulin so the protein, added BCAAs, glutamine and creatine is driven into the muscles cells to start recovery. Having the extra BCAAs, glutamine and creatine is a nice bonus that most other protein powders don't include. This, taken with the TRUE PRE, you'll be getting a 12g dosage of BCAAs, 3.6g of glutamine and 5g of creatine. Meaning you won't need to supplement any of these separately.

Mixability

You will need a shaker, but it mixes very easily, as you would expect from a WPI blend. No clumps, and most importantly, it's smooth, so it's easy to drink and half of the serving isn't stuck to the inside of your shaker.

Taste
Great. The rich chocolate certainly is that and I was looking forward to my post workout shake. One of the better chocolate flavours going around.

The only problem was that it had a slightly sour taste, like off milk. I found out this was due to running this production straight after the TRUE PRE without washing the machines. That does seem a little sloppy on the manufacturing side of things. If I had paid for my bag, I would be asking for a replacement.

Digestion/Effects
This digested very easily. No bloating or a feeling of a full stomach. Being 80g per serve, you would think this would be a little heavy on the stomach immediately after a workout, but it isn't. This is a testament to quality ingredients.

After only 2 weeks of use, it's hard to say exactly the effects as there are so many variables. However I have kept my training exactly the same and I'm quite consistent with my food. Since using this, I put on 200g a week, which is inline with optimum muscle growth.

Price
The standard price is $50 for 11 serves, so just over $4.50 a serve. I believe this is a bit pricey, but it is a small bag with only 11 serves. I'm sure if you bought in bulk, the price would be more competitive. However I couldn't find a larger size to order on the website. This does seem odd as half the powder is dextrose, which is a cheap ingredient to buy in bulk.

Notes
This has everything you would need or want in a post workout protein powder. A good ratio of WPI and dextrose, with BCAAs, glutamine and creatine thrown in as well. The flavour is great and it's very easy on the stomach to digest.

However the serving size just doesn't make sense. If I was to make an order, I would want to be ordering 2-3kg at a time, not 1.1kg. And due to these smaller orders, the price just isn't competitive. If they could increase the order size to at least double, I would buy this product.

Overall I would give this 9/10. Pretty much the perfect post workout powder, they just need to increase the package size so the price comes down a bit.

[MENTION=17550]JUST.BLAISE[/MENTION] ; will the next batch of True-Post have the same taste or will it be closer to the regular NZ WPI? If it's different, when will it be in stock?

I see you threw in a few samples to my order, cheers for that and thanks for getting it out before Christmas!

@SteveP Nice review mate, very good feedback. The True PRE is hard to flavour with such a large stack of amino's. 6g of BCAA's especially drag the taste down and the 6g of Citrulline Malate are repsonsible for the sour citrus note. From a development perspective we had an unflavoured version knocking around for a while and the difference between this finished version and that one is night and day. One trick to take the edge off is just a drop of cordial. We will continue to work on the current flavour as well as a berry flavour in the pipeline sop watch this space.

@White_Lie Yes the next run will have a richer chocolate vibe, hard to say when the next run will be, but I'd anticipate February/March would be about right.

On the bag size that's a great point, we'll look to get something sorted in the new year. In the meantime, PM me if you're after 2 or 3 bags and I'll work out a good price.

[MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION] ; it might have even been the beta alanine in the post keeping you up if you were having that after training in the evening. It can have a caffeine like effect on some people

On the bag size that's a great point, we'll look to get something sorted in the new year. In the meantime, PM me if you're after 2 or 3 bags and I'll work out a good price.
Thanks. I'm overseas at the moment so I won't be making an order right now. But I will be when I'm back in 2-3 weeks.

@steveP ; it might have even been the beta alanine in the post keeping you up if you were having that after training in the evening. It can have a caffeine like effect on some people

Yeah I'm not sure what it was. I usually have a coffee and pre workout each day, and a random energy drink thrown in sometimes. So I have a pretty good caffeine tolerance. By the second week my body sorted itself out though.

Thanks to True-Protein Pre and Post workout products sent to me by @JUST.BLAISE ; for me to sample. :eek:

TRUE PROTEIN - PRE-WORKOUT

As a connoisseur of all things stimulating, I have tried just about every PWO mega dosed with DMAA, AMP, caffeine, the works. I enjoy being psyched up physically then training ans gurning simultaneously like I am at a rave. But this time round, I decided to do something shockingly different and asked for the non-caffeinated version of the PWO and see how I would fare without the stimulation.

Taste - 6/10

Yeah it's pretty sour all right, so take a sip and mentally brace yourself if you're not into sour tasting shit. As a regular user of acetyl carnitine in its powdered form (which tastes like powdered vinegar), my palate is used to being raped by sour. So thankfully I swallowed it whole without complaint like a champ.

Also, don't forget you're not drinking a cocktail here, it's for chugging down in 5 seconds or less. Hence even if it tastes like Angelina Jolie's 2 day old lactating drip, you'd simply man up and drink it if you know what's good for you.

Mixability - 10/10

Easiest PWO to mix by FAR. I can even mix it with a fork in a cup without any issue. Not even one bit of solid left at the bottom of the shaker/cup when I am done chugging it down.

Energy/Focus - 8/10

I trained 2 weeks using this PWO, on days when I didn't feel like I was at 100% due to lack of sleep, stress, asthma, whatever. But each time I took this and waited 10 minutes for the familiar tingleberries to sprout on my lips, I was ready to train! Still physically tired because of no stimulants, which called for more warmups to get my heart rate up, but once I was there I felt in the zone, baby.

- Fantastic mind muscle connection.
- Less fatigue/More endurance. I last LONGER.
- Ability to concentrate on my lift and only my lift and nothing else. Not even a twerking gym hunnie could stop my from breaking through all those PB's.
- Hot red flushed face made me look like I have a raging clue which is awesome.

Pump - 8/10

Anything less than a large sized singlet would have made me look ridiculous with this PWO because by the end of each training ALL my muscles were hard as, even the ones that weren't trained. lol.

SUMMARY TRUE PROTEIN - PRE-WORKOUT : 9/10

In conclusion I used this sour tasting concoction for 2 weeks, broke 4 PB's in my training program and am stoked enough to start using this amongst my staple of PWO's.

TRUE PROTEIN - POST-WORKOUT

Taste - 8/10

I am a huge fan of True Proteins Rich Chocolate WPI/WPC and this had all the hallmarks of that rich, creamy chocolatey taste. However as others have stated this post workout mix is marred by the sourness of the PWO via contamination due to the mixing and manufacturing process of this batch. Other than that, it tastes great even if mixed with lukewarm water.

Mixability - 10/10

This mixes perfectly even with precisely 5 ultra violent shakes in the brand new shaker that @JUST.BLAISE ; sent me with the sample. Fully sick!

Value for money - 6/10

I would buy it with the intro price but likely to probably forgo the convenience of having everything premixed by doing it myself since I have all the ingredients already to do so. Those who don't know what amounts/ratios of what to take immediately after a workout, then this product is for you!

Final Recommendations: Is there a way to make the scoop easier to use? The handle is too short, meaning that my hand is covered in powder every time I dig into the bag with it. A smaller cup should be provided with the PRE because trying to eye half the scoop didn’t quite cut it for accurate dose measurement. For me it ranged from 22g to 33g on the scales, which is a huge variance.

Make the handle longer, provide a smaller scoop with the PWO, get rid of the post workout product sourness, adjust the price point (or increase number of serves), then you're on winner here crikey.

Keep up the good work True Protein, I am loving what you're doing so far! x

I'd like to share some of my thoughts with you (the members here) if I may. I read every post in this thread and have nothing but the full respect for everyone who has contributed therein. And no, I did not come here to correct anyone or disagree with anyone's opinion or experience. I've decided to come here so as to add a different dimension to the discussion that has been taking place, and perhaps have you looking outside the square, for just a bit.

We all know what needs to come first, the horse before the cart and not the other way around. The horse is our driving force, it's there for pulling that dead cart and bringing it to life.

So, when it comes to protein (carbs and / or fats), who would you appoint at the front as that powerful pulling horse? Remember, I'm here in order for us to think outside the square and in a way, to go much much deeper than what seems to be the obvious. My question was a rhetorical one, so I'd say neither protein, carbs, nor fats would qualify to be our pulling horse, that would be like putting the cart before the horse and getting nowhere fast. Great, so who will be our most powerful pulling horse I hear you ask?

Bacteria!

I know, you weren't expecting that were you now! You see, you are only 10% you and 90% bacteria...bacteria on the inside (your micro flora environment) and bacteria on your skin (on the outside of you). Now that you know that, would you sit up and pay more attention to the needs of the real you? I thought you would...

Supplements have been discussed in this thread, and I see that some of you are for, whilst others are against their use. I believe the issue is not (should not be) about supplement or even food, but rather, how well are we really digesting and assimilating what we put into our body. Go ahead and eat all the food the best food your heart desire, it won't do you a bit of good (and may do you plenty of harm) if you don't digest and assimilate it properly.The same goes for supplements. Well, when was the last time you asked yourself about the status of that gut environment that makes up the real you? If that environment is happy and well looked after, your whole being would be happy and well taken care of. Once the status of that inner environment becomes your priority (your powerful pulling horse), everything else would fall into place, and then (and only then) would your discussion of how good a particular protein food, or protein supplement be applicable and indeed fruitful.

If the above got you looking outside the box (even remotely), placing the horse before the cart, then I would have achieved my aim. I thank you for reading.

Last edited: