• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Tsunami Barbell

I'm probably wrong and that's fine but if crossfit had come up with the bamboo bar with kettlebells idea people would just laugh at them. Because Louie has done it people look at it as the next secret behind a big bench. I personally can't see it as anything apart from a party trick lift.

I first saw it on a Dan John DVD, he did it with chains on a barbell. Which is basically the same principle affecting stabilty, just to a lesser degree. It's definitely not a party trick, but neither is it Secret Weapon X designed by a mad scientist. Just another tool man.

Oh and Crossfit do have SOME good ideas, I just have problems with their coaching, programming, kipping pullups, kipping handstand pushups, Paleo Pretentiousness and their pre-natal training (ie women in their 3rd term doing C+J's).

What situations would people say the bamboo bar would benefit someone over just normal barbell training?

What situations would people say the bamboo bar would benefit someone over just normal barbell training?

Shoulder stability.
Keeping tight throughout a movement.
Training a tight bar path.

Anything where you can use sub-maximal weights to train stability and stabilisers.

I first saw it on a Dan John DVD, he did it with chains on a barbell. Which is basically the same principle affecting stabilty, just to a lesser degree.

When you say "he did it" what do you mean?

I'm interested in how this can be similar.
to a wobbly bar.

Another tool, another method, not essential for everybody but not stupid either.

Just like me.

I actually think it stupid to use the tool as a tool to learn how to do a movement properly with a solid bar, but Hell, I've always been one for specificity.

It sort of reminds me of the "slosh-bar" that was fashionable a few years ago.

as a means to strengthen the "stability muscles" i want someone to point them out to me on an anatomy chart, I can never find the bastards.

I'm still not sold on it but I don't train people and don't have a decent bench so am probably wrong

Just like me.

I actually think it stupid to use the tool as a tool to learn how to do a movement properly with a solid bar, but Hell, I've always been one for specificity.

It sort of reminds me of the "slosh-bar" that was fashionable a few years ago.

as a means to strengthen the "stability muscles" i want someone to point them out to me on an anatomy chart, I can never find the bastards.

You know what I mean by stabilisers... any muscle that is not a prime mover but is somehow activated in the movment.

Specifity is of course important but anything can go wrong on the platform and this sort of training should help you resist lose off bar bath and help strengthen the muscles that might be put at risk in such a case.

I'm still not sold on it but I don't train people and don't have a decent bench so am probably wrong

I wouldn't buy one for myself, and probably wouldn't for the gym, you can get strong bench without it. But as said it is just another tool and another method to use.