• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vanity vs Numbers

They dont have to look like they do to be as strong as they are...in some regards yes they are lazy - they dont give a shit about their health or how they look....u dont need to be hugely over-weight to be strong...look at Matt Kroc and Stan Efferding.

You do know everyone you mentioned takes steroids right? lol...

Of course I do, but they take them to actually lift real weight & be world class strength athletes not just to 'look good' at some stupid music festival.
You obviously don't understand strongman & powerlifting...

Last edited:
What about health? It can't be healthy being that fat? Puts you in a high risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and God knows what else.

You think being a pro bodybuilder is a healthy lifestyle?
More pro bodybuilders die/have health issues from their 'sport' than strongmen & powerlifters imo.

Of course I do, but they take them to actually lift real weight & be world class strength athletes not just to 'look good' at some stupid music festival.
You obviously don't understand strongman & powerlifting...

Im not saying they have to look good...they just dont have to be hugely over-weight to be at that level of strength

You think being a pro bodybuilder is a healthy lifestyle?
More pro bodybuilders die/have health issues from their 'sport' than strongmen & powerlifters imo.
How come you know jump to the elite pro's. We're talking the general PL and general BB.

Im not saying they have to look good...they just dont have to be hugely over-weight to be at that level of strength

Come on Joel lets be serious. They are that weight because it allows them to lift the most weight. I bet most would rather be leaner but performance would suffer.

Come on Joel lets be serious. They are that weight because it allows them to lift the most weight. I bet most would rather be leaner but performance would suffer.

Very true, thanks for restoring my faith in this board haha.
Travis Ort lost a fair bit of weight a while ago & he said himself that his strength suffered so he's now put alot of it back on.

Last edited:
Very true, thanks for restoring my faith in this board haha.
Travis Ort lost a fair bit of weight a while ago & he said himself that his strength suffered so he's now put alot of it back on.

Travis Ort didn't loose that weight on purpose. He said that he picked up a parasite while competing in the SCL in Bulgaria. It was chewing him up until they found it, after his treatment he is putting the weight back on.

But yes. I agree with all your post. It's more that to recover faster and build that strength you need a calorie surplus. So if you keep the surplus up to make sure you are recovering you are going to put on fat weight too.

I think only a lil wayne mix can settle this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WstYFTXTo&feature=related]Lil Wayne MIX 2 (***NEW 2011***) - DJ A - YouTube[/ame]

There are super strong people who are both fat and lean. Who cares anyway its their life as long as you don't let others force you to be lean or fat if you dont want to be.

By the way you're too lean Joel you need some fat to get strong!!!

Whether you are training or competing so you can tell people "I lift big numbers" or so people tell you "you look awesome/huge", unless it's just for a bit of fun I think you have serious ego issues.

There's nothing wrong with looking good and wanting to be the best you can physically but spending hours in the gym each week and spending most of your day figuring out what supps and macros and cals to eat next, just to impress females so you can feel good about yourself is pretty sad.

Find a girl, fall in love, if she's into you for your muscles it won't last long.

Do you think it's cool to look like you could rip someones head off? Really? Grow up! Or at least realise it's just a phase you're in. Chasing the muff, impressing the lads, whatever, it's all good, but see it for what it is.

Lifting to brag about numbers is probably just as lame. Get a life. Nothing wrong with celebrating your achievements, but if that's the main focus in your life then in the scheme of things its pretty sad.

In my opinion lifting is a discipline that has helped me learn about myself, and if that stops then I'll probably stop lifting and do something else. My point is that you should have inner (instrinsic) reasons as your main driver, if you live only for recognition from others you will have other issues.

As a beginner though its pretty hard not to get stronger AND look better. There seems to be an argument that "training for strength is bad for your health because you have to get fat". There's a hell of a lot of gains to be made by most people before you have to put on weight to get stronger

Kind of sounds like chicks who don't want to lift weights because they'll get too muscly. Trust me, if you are getting too muscly, there will be warning signs haha.

Anyway, lifting has a lot of benefits, main ones being strength and looking good, but base your goals on your own standards, not other peoples.

One guy at my club does. He had a WR at one stage (fame), makes lots of money (no doubt inspired by his powerlifting), dated all the cute women ever involved in powerlifting (all 2 of them) and married one who's cute, smart and rich.

I hope to follow in his steps.

i bet your mind jumped straight to a super heavyweight?? people seem to forget there are lighter weight classes. lol

Nope, I personally prefer the lighter weight classes. I just don't think powerlifting would help much in any of those 3 areas. It may in the odd case here and there, but most of the time it wouldn't.

lol it's just a joke at my club. That's what the head coach would say if we have the wrong idea of devoting our time to anything outside of powerlifting.

Nope, I personally prefer the lighter weight classes. I just don't think powerlifting would help much in any of those 3 areas. It may in the odd case here and there, but most of the time it wouldn't.
lighter weights are more enjoyable to watch, even thought what their lifting may be lighter.
it wouldnt help in money, but when u say 'real fame' movie starts are only famous world wide because the majority of the population watch movies, so fame in powerlifting is obviously going to be limited to the lifting community. and women, it comes doing to their taste

i thought i was all about numbers, but im realizing now that vanity is equally important. chasing numbers is how i hope to get there. but so far its not working as well as expected