• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vegetable Protein

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
Who includes this protein in their daily amounts?

I don't, but was wondering if I should.

Graeme

I do, all the time. protein is protein.
Quinoa, lentils, chickpeas, beans (especially black, butter and cannellini beans), and a bunch of flours like coconut, quinoa and amaranth.

I use pea and rice protein in baking a lot too (whey can dry stuff out a bit much) and they're fantastic.

oh and nuts and seeds in general.

It's all good and it all counts.
:)

Last edited:
yep sometimes if you disguise it, it's all good.
Plus if you add them to soups or mashed into burgers, it's great.

if you like nuts etc then it's not all disgusting, is it? LOL

totally understand. I was a vegetarian for .. wow decades. Now i eat fish and I'm trying hard to adapt to chicken. But I will can't eat meat from a mammal. Just hate it. Probably the only one on this forum. But i never say never cos who knows. :rolleyes:

I love you Grambo, but this question is like 'do I include the weight of the bar?'

I love you Grambo, but this question is like 'do I include the weight of the bar?'

No its not, I was simply interested in how people look at their diets. I am not a big fan of micro balancing my macro nutrients. I have never counted protein from vegetable sources as they are so insignificant that its nearly pointless to me with the food I eat.
Why i asked was because my wife does count her macro nutrients in this manner and thinks I should, yet her results are no better than mine when it comes to % of fat loss/muscle creation etc.
I simply wanted to see whether allot of peeps do it or not. I don't count the carbs from my veggies anymore either (starchy ones I do, potatoes/corn etc) as I've found it makes next to no difference anyway (for me).

Was curious was all.

I guess i only count them when I'm logging my food intake into myfitnesspal (it does it automatically)otherwise if I'm just estimating it in my head then no I don't count vege proteins

Yep you count protein from all sources. If you are eating a wide range of protein sources the protein from veggies or whatever is just as good as the protein from meat so there is no reason not to count it.

Bottom line is count all macros from all sources.

so protien is protien....Then why is soy being knocked here quite a bit on other threads?

Because just like anything in the fitness industry people tend to over react and go from one extreme to another

If you getting protein from a wide range of sources some soy protein is fine.

Because just like anything in the fitness industry people tend to over react and go from one extreme to another

If you getting protein from a wide range of sources some soy protein is fine.

so protien is protien....Then why is soy being knocked here quite a bit on other threads?

soy is under attack for a number of reasons. sometimes GMO stuff but for guys mostly because some studies have shown it can negatively affect testosterone levels.

meh, who knows...
a little bit of many foods won't harm you.
that goes for protein too. if you relied on soy almost exclusively, that would be bad just as it would be bad to rely on anything exclusively.