• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vic: I want to compete this year, need advice.

WTF-BOOM

Hi,

I'm an intermediate lifter in Melbourne, I want to start competing. I'm confused with the federations, CAPO, PA, don't know if there's more?

I'm at a commercial gym at the moment, it has all the necessary equipment for deadlifts, squats, etc. but it's definitely a bro style gym. The contract runs out in a few month so I'm up for the idea of moving to somewhere more powerlifting orientated (I'm in Caulfield area).

I checked out the Melbourne Uni lifting club, it was hectic and I don't really understand how it all works there, it seems everyone is on the same Mon/Thurs/Fri program and there's no lifting outside of that, if so I don't know if I could commit to that, I need more flexibility.

Is it best to get involved with a powerlifting club or gym, or do people frequently go it solo and just rock up to the contest days?

If you have any beginner advice, or know people I should get in contact with please let me know.

Hi,

I'm an intermediate lifter in Melbourne, I want to start competing. I'm confused with the federations, CAPO, PA, don't know if there's more?

I'm at a commercial gym at the moment, it has all the necessary equipment for deadlifts, squats, etc. but it's definitely a bro style gym. The contract runs out in a few month so I'm up for the idea of moving to somewhere more powerlifting orientated (I'm in Caulfield area).

I checked out the Melbourne Uni lifting club, it was hectic and I don't really understand how it all works there, it seems everyone is on the same Mon/Thurs/Fri program and there's no lifting outside of that, if so I don't know if I could commit to that, I need more flexibility.

Is it best to get involved with a powerlifting club or gym, or do people frequently go it solo and just rock up to the contest days?

If you have any beginner advice, or know people I should get in contact with please let me know.

I competed in my first comp at PTC Frankston last year. Its run by Markos, who is President or Pro Raw Powerlifting. He runs novice comps all the time, next one I think is January 20th, then another in february I believe. A lot of guys on this forum lift in PTC gyms so they would be a good start.

the main difference between PA and the other clubs is that PA is drug tested, with a few other technical differences

melbourne uni is hectic but it is a great place to train.

a few other guys on here and i train at MTS in dendenong, cheltenham rd.
guys are there most days, not 100% sure how dan does it now but after you sign up you get a key (now dont take my word for this as im not sure if hes still doing that) pretty sure the cost is still $60 a month, again not really sure you would need to talk to dan about that stuff. there is a group of us there who compete in PA

the main difference between PA and the other clubs is that PA is drug tested, with a few other technical differences

melbourne uni is hectic but it is a great place to train.

a few other guys on here and i train at MTS in dendenong, cheltenham rd.
guys are there most days, not 100% sure how dan does it now but after you sign up you get a key (now dont take my word for this as im not sure if hes still doing that) pretty sure the cost is still $60 a month, again not really sure you would need to talk to dan about that stuff. there is a group of us there who compete in PA

Pretty much spot on callan, spoke to dan last and am starting there wed. I think with the key its after a little while he will give u one i just think he wouldnt want anyone signing up and having access ( i know i wouldnt if it was my gym) and price is right too. WTF-BOOM im from murrumbeena and im driving up to dandy, if you want quality you gotta sacrifice some time to get there. check out the thread PTC style gyms and you'll find most on there.

If you go to MTS make sure you bring jellybeans for the Rhino and don't buy anything off the eel. He's a bit shifty.

Bodyworld at Balaclava have a GPC PL team there.

Good bunch of guys.

GPC, PA and CAPO are the 3 big feds in Australia.

GPC offer entertaining competitions with the allowance of knee wraps in raw. You're also allowed to compete in any novice comp in any fed.

PA offer tested competition, but you can only do their comps, sleeves allowed on raw squats

I dont think CAPO have a presence in vic anymore, no knee coverings allowed.

The only other main rule difference is in PA your head must stay on the bench, the other 2 it can lift off.

There are some equipment differences to.

Last edited:
CAPO are still in Vic. They are running a novice comp in April & a States (nationals qualifier) in May.

It appears I live in the worst possible location for powerlifting gyms.

Does anyone have experience with the Melbourne Uni one? Is it really only Mon/Thurs/Fri and a fixed program for everyone, because I'd really like to just use the facilities and do my own thing, get in with the group and take advice where needed.

It appears I live in the worst possible location for powerlifting gyms.

Does anyone have experience with the Melbourne Uni one? Is it really only Mon/Thurs/Fri and a fixed program for everyone, because I'd really like to just use the facilities and do my own thing, get in with the group and take advice where needed.

Yeah- I have trained there. You can join the gym and train whenever you want, but the heavy weights room can only be used at certain times. If you join the PL club gym membership is cheaper, but it really is hectic on the set times. The plus is that there are some great coaches there, including Robert Wilks- inventor of the Wilks formula, national coach, member of the IPF exec etc. You'll also find David Jame, Nphiep Luu etc- great lifters. But if you step into that place you go with the flow and listen and learn. Not really the place to do your own thing.
Its probably one of the biggest clubs in Australia- something like 40 or more lifters- I think its also the oldest.

Yeah- I have trained there. You can join the gym and train whenever you want, but the heavy weights room can only be used at certain times. If you join the PL club gym membership is cheaper, but it really is hectic on the set times. The plus is that there are some great coaches there, including Robert Wilks- inventor of the Wilks formula, national coach, member of the IPF exec etc. You'll also find David Jame, Nphiep Luu etc- great lifters. But if you step into that place you go with the flow and listen and learn. Not really the place to do your own thing.
Its probably one of the biggest clubs in Australia- something like 40 or more lifters- I think its also the oldest.

It looks like $520 through powerlifting.net.au or $915 through sport.unimelb.edu.au, that's a big difference. I went yesterday and Rob told me to come back Thursday but he said not to pay the front desk anything for a while, to see if I can handle the training first I guess... don't know if the uni will let me keep just rocking up there without paying.

It looks like $520 through powerlifting.net.au or $915 through sport.unimelb.edu.au, that's a big difference. I went yesterday and Rob told me to come back Thursday but he said not to pay the front desk anything for a while, to see if I can handle the training first I guess... don't know if the uni will let me keep just rocking up there without paying.

Others do it. If you are asked just say you are going down to talk to Robert Wilks. He is an amazing coach, so if you can put up with the over-crowding its definitely worth doing.

there is a comp Feb 17th- hang with it- check out the comp- qualify for raw nationals (which is in Melb) and then check that out.
Raw nationals will be amazing.
What to expect from raw nats?
Over 100 lifters battling out for national titles. The Pacific invitational event, which runs as the final session, will include US lifters Randall Harris (who has done 950kg raw- squat 345, bench 235, deadlift 370), Priscilla Ribic (IPF hall of famer and holder of multilpe world records) and pacific and New Zealand lifters- Oliva Kirisome (Samoan giant), Danny Nemani (commonwealth games weightlifter), Sonia Manaena (world record deadlifter and world champ) alongside Australia's best.