• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Vitamin Warnings!

Christian

Active Member, June10MOTM
No Deaths from Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids or Herbs
Poison Control Statistics Prove Supplements' Safety

(OMNS, January 19, 2010) There was not even one death caused by a dietary supplement in 2008, according to the most recent information collected by the U.S. National Poison Data System. The new 174-page annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, published in the journal Clinical Toxicology, shows zero deaths from multiple vitamins; zero deaths from any of the B vitamins; zero deaths from vitamins A, C, D, or E; and zero deaths from any other vitamin.

Additionally, there were no deaths whatsoever from any amino acid or herbal product. This means no deaths at all from blue cohosh, echinacea, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, kava kava, St. John's wort, valerian, yohimbe, Asian medicines, ayurvedic medicines, or any other botanical. There were zero deaths from creatine, blue-green algae, glucosamine, chondroitin, melatonin, or any homeopathic remedies.

Furthermore, there were zero deaths in 2008 from any dietary mineral supplement. This means there were no fatalities from calcium, magnesium, chromium, zinc, colloidal silver, selenium, iron, or multimineral supplements. Two children died as a result of medical use of the antacid sodium bicarbonate. The other "Electrolyte and Mineral" category death was due to a man accidentally drinking sodium hydroxide, a highly toxic degreaser and drain-opener.

No man, woman or child died from nutritional supplements. Period.

61 poison centers provide coast-to-coast data for the U.S. National Poison Data System, which is then reviewed by 29 medical and clinical toxicologists. NPDS, the authors write, is "one of the few real-time national surveillance systems in existence, providing a model public health surveillance system for all types of exposures, public health event identification, resilience response and situational awareness tracking."

Over half of the U.S. population takes daily nutritional supplements. Even if each of those people took only one single tablet daily, that makes 154,000,000 individual doses per day, for a total of over 56 billion doses annually. Since many persons take more than just one vitamin or mineral tablet, actual consumption is considerably higher, and the safety of nutritional supplements is all the more remarkable.

If nutritional supplements are allegedly so "dangerous," as the FDA and news media so often claim, then where are the bodies?

Those who wonder if the media are biased against vitamins may consider this: how many television stations, newspapers, magazines, and medical journals have reported that no one dies from nutritional supplements?

Reference:

Bronstein AC, Spyker DA, Cantilena LR Jr, Green JL, Rumack BH, Giffin SL. 2008 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System (NPDS): 26th Annual Report. Clinical Toxicology (2009). 47, 911-1084. The full text article is available for free download at http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/Portals/0/2008annualreport.pdf . Vitamins statistics are found in Table 22B, journal pages 1052-3. Minerals, herbs, amino acids and other supplements are in the same table, pages 1047-8.

For Further Reading:

Download any Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers from 1983-2008 free of charge at http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/NPDSPoisonData/AnnualReports/tabid/125/Default.aspx

The peer-reviewed Orthomolecular Medicine News Service is a non-profit and non-commercial informational resource.

Editorial Review Board:

Carolyn Dean, M.D., N.D.
Damien Downing, M.D.
Michael Gonzalez, D.Sc., Ph.D.
Steve Hickey, Ph.D.
James A. Jackson, PhD
Bo H. Jonsson, MD, Ph.D
Thomas Levy, M.D., J.D.
Jorge R. Miranda-Massari, Pharm.D.
Erik Paterson, M.D.
Gert E. Shuitemaker, Ph.D.

This is not to say that an uneducated perosn can not harm them selves form vitamins.

Merley to point out the scare tactics with vitamin intake have no actual backing.

I'll sleep better now, since I swallow about 50 tabs per day.
Only thing I do not take is a multi.

noobs ive never had any direct posts with you but just a question because from wot ive read you know more than me. why do u feel were taking multis?why should we take multis? I watched this english programme the other day were a guy was making his own cornflakes,so he gets 1 cornel from the cob hooks out the (eye) as he calls it and then tells me that thats where all the vitimans and goodness is, il stop it there but you get the point .Apart from a handfull of items 5 max my family and myself do not eat anything processed (milk and bread are to of the exceptions) EVERYMEAL is made up of lean meat veg or salads.I and my kids DO take multis, do you think i need to? Lets just get onething straight im not trying to 'get up you' im just very interested in yr opinion on multis , why we should take them and why YOU think we are taking them

cheers

noobs ive never had any direct posts with you but just a question because from wot ive read you know more than me. why do u feel were taking multis?why should we take multis? I watched this english programme the other day were a guy was making his own cornflakes,so he gets 1 cornel from the cob hooks out the (eye) as he calls it and then tells me that thats where all the vitimans and goodness is, il stop it there but you get the point .Apart from a handfull of items 5 max my family and myself do not eat anything processed (milk and bread are to of the exceptions) EVERYMEAL is made up of lean meat veg or salads.I and my kids DO take multis, do you think i need to? Lets just get onething straight im not trying to 'get up you' im just very interested in yr opinion on multis , why we should take them and why YOU think we are taking them

cheers

Bit confused by your post.. Im hoping you guys are taking a good multi.. The heading was sarcasm, as used by themedia to discourage vitamin usage because its so dangerous! :D

I dont think it is possible to consume 12g of vitamin c a day without taking supplements?

Top 3 multi's for the lifting man who doesn't eat HEAPS of greens, in your opinion noobs? I know you've touched on it before, I just can't remember where.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top 3 multi's for the lifting man who doesn't eat HEAPS of greens, in your opinion noobs? I know you've touched on it before, I just can't remember where.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cant relace food with a multi can only add to it..

Multis dont contian enzymes and phytochemicals found in food.

I'm a bit late to this thread....

I thought the main reason to take a multi vitamin even on a good diet is because quality of soil gets compromised when crops are constantly grown in it without resting the soil (ie. modern farming) - poor soil quality = poor nutrient quality in plant foods. I'm not sure what fertilisers add to the equation. I've also read lately that heirloom plant varieties are generally more nutritious than cross-polinated/GM options.

I'm a bit late to this thread....

I thought the main reason to take a multi vitamin even on a good diet is because quality of soil gets compromised when crops are constantly grown in it without resting the soil (ie. modern farming) - poor soil quality = poor nutrient quality in plant foods. I'm not sure what fertilisers add to the equation. I've also read lately that heirloom plant varieties are generally more nutritious than cross-polinated/GM options.

Did you know a red delicious apple contians about 2 -3 times more antioxidants then all the cross polinated varietys?

We dont know what we are doing to our food but we do shit anyone..

Stop ****ing with nature and it wont **** back...

Its sad, everything is driven by money i.e more varieties of plant food so we can sell more kinds for different prices and it is less nutritious for the community.

Its sad, everything is driven by money i.e more varieties of plant food so we can sell more kinds for different prices and it is less nutritious for the community.

I find it mind boggling how many businesses are built on the unstable foundation of creating high sugar/chemical products, packaging them and calling them food. Of course, the food industry is not the only one churning out pseudo products....

What a different world it would be if businesses were required to "do no harm"...

I find it mind boggling how many businesses are built on the unstable foundation of creating high sugar/chemical products, packaging them and calling them food. Of course, the food industry is not the only one churning out pseudo products....

What a different world it would be if businesses were required to "do no harm"...

Its terrible I know but what can we do...

Well 1 thing is educate people.. I buy 3 things form woolies now regularly.. Organic Milk, Cottage cheese (that seems to have dissapeared) and free range organic eggs.. And stuff like razors lol toiletpaper.

Occasionally i will buy stuff like cheeses but i prefer to go to real wogo delis for that now.

We need to change the world 1 perosn at a time and 1 message board at a time..

And in time people will want to learn more and come to us for truth and knowledge.

I feel sorry for people that go to woolies and think they are buying food.

"If they are aloud to sell it to me it must be ok"

This is what every single person in the world thinks deep down and i know because i was one of them. We are brain washed from birth and as children.

My health has taken a huge hit in recent years and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it. I've had to relearn how to survive. Over the years I guess as a kid I absorbed the advertising unwittingly and as an adult I became victim of a lot of the myths going around. I know how easy it is to be victim of it and how hard it is to completely shift your thinking.

Last edited: