• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Want to get big

chrisp

So you go to the gym, there's a guy ..... the biggest guy. You watch his every move, and you come away thinking ''ive got to do what he's doing ... i want to be as big as him''
This idea get's further drilled into you next time you grab the lastest muscle mag.

Your about to train yourself into a corner or injury.... we've all done it.

For the next few months you do all the moves you watched the big guy do, all the moves that give you the biggest pump (bicep curls, kick backs and leg extensions) and avoid the one's that give you less immediate feedback (squat/deadlift) the ones that force you to coordinate several joints/muscles at once.

After every workout you go home , rip off your shirt and pose infront of the mirror, you get so used to seeing your muscles in this pumped way you soon forget they dont look like this all the time, and espeically to everybody else.

Progress stalls, so you do what everybody doe's, you train more. Everyday some weeks, whole session's on your arms or chest , doing so many reps with so many machines , pumping your bicep its so engorged with blood you feel like superman.

Your now burning so many calories training everyday that development grinds to a stop (but i eat like ALLDAY and im not getting bigger). Well wot did we expect there's no excess calories for growth.

The breaking point will come.......!!!! Your elbow aches, or there's a pinch in your shoulder, 3-4 niggaling injuries. Some give up , others strap up,or pop some pain killers and struggle on, its going to get worse.

When did it happen??? When did 3x10 get implanted into are brain's????

Here's a thought..... why not 10x3 ??

Even better 5x3 , with more weight.... which is better ??

Doing 3x10 your probably only finding the last 2 reps hard?

Doing 5x3 every rep is hard

Which is better 2x hard reps of 10kg , or 3x hard reps of 20kg ??

Your body (muscles) will only adapt/grow when they need too, lifting heavier weight's = the need to be stronger = bigger muscles.

If you are not as big as you want to be, the most efficant way to get bigger is to squat, deadlift and bench a low amount of reps with as heavy amount off weight as you can.

Remembering to only lift 3-4 times max a week and eat enough to have calories left for growth after calories burnt working out.

Do this and your start to look big all the time (not pumped big).

After a few months of increasing the weight's ''NOT THE REPS'' your start to see proper results.

Your probably tell yourself , i've gone back to the basic's , but honestly it will probably be the first time you've done the basic's..........

In a nutshell
1. Lift heavy
2. Eat more

Guys try to increase the weight every week or session but how many try to increase cals every week????????

I worked out with heavy weights, low reps for years and my progress stalled very quickly.

I have now switched to lower weight, higher reps, higher intensity and a split body style programme and have made my best gains in a long time.

I believe in changing it up regularly, train in one style for too long and the body just doesnt respond as well

Last edited:
I worked out with heavy weights, low reps for years and my progress stalled very quickly.

How many years 2 or 10 ?

Even 2 years of lifting in my terms is not ''as you say'' (very quick) for progression to stall,

Even though i agree with you, in as much as changeing things up is good, the most efficant way to gain mass is to lift heavy and have calories left over for growth.

I don't think it is that simple...

Why do some trainees produce good results from weight-training, while others – using apparently identical program and exactly the same equipment – experience such slow rates of progress that they eventually stop training in disgust? A tricky question, obviously – and one that cannot be answered in general terms that apply in all cases; but in most cases, the real culprit is a factor that most bodybuilders never heard of, reciprocity failure – which might be defined as the failure to produce expected results. Which definition is not quite as meaningless as it may appear at first glance –although it is one that will require careful explanation.

Sir andy, first of i love your insight, but i have no idea what you just said???

In my view.....it should be that simple for beginers, hence i say beginers..

You wouldnt jump on a bike and start doing 360 endo bunny hops (i just made that up) ... cool uh

i started doing dorian yates workout for 2 years when i first started training..

I lost weight and felt weak..

Then i treid ronnie colemens workout.. Now i look like him..

Sir andy, first of i love your insight, but i have no idea what you just said???

In my view.....it should be that simple for beginers, hence i say beginers..

You wouldnt jump on a bike and start doing 360 endo bunny hops (i just made that up) ... cool uh

Sorry master chris.

What I'm saying is a couple of things; but first is the analogy(to present another perspective) of using a camera to take photos is same, in an older camera all the settings must be correct to produce a good photo; shutter speed, aperture, exposure and such...
If one of the settings are not correct the result will not produce the expected result.

All weight training templates will produce results, it depends on the person.

More often than not a man does not know that the workout is the key- stone to the rate of progress...

Watching a man working out properly is almost frightening – and it is frightening to some people; the intensity of effort is so great that the subject's entire body is shaking, his face will turn dark red – or even purple – and both breathing and heart action will be increased at least one-hundred percent.

Most people are simply not aware that such effort is even possible, and many that are aware of the possibility are totally unwilling to exert such effort; but, for maximum growth stimulation, that is exactly what is required.

Left to their own devices, most trainees will make very little progress – because they probably won't work hard enough to induce much in the way of growth stimulation; so, for best results, workouts must be carefully supervised – and it is highly desirable to give a demonstration of the proper intensity of work, in order that new trainees can be made aware of the very possibility of such levels of effort.

When a man discovers a high intensity of work they notice an amazing burst of strength and size, but fail to realize that for this to continue they need to scale back their rate and frequency of work over a protracted period.

Imo you get out what your put in, both in the gym and deit/sleep/lifestyle.

If you put in little effort into your training, no matter what your doing you won't ever get big gains whether its strength or size. Same goes for the other factors outside the gym, which is imo where so many people fall short. I know a lot of people who train/workout regularly, they make next to no progress and once I heard how they live outside the gym it doesn't surprise me at all.