• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weaker on one side.

kaz

iLift
Coming off the back of a chest injury, I've found my left side is far weaker than the right.

Is it better to bring the whole lift down a few kg's to the capability of the weak side, or do additional work to build the weak side back up?

Coming off the back of a chest injury, I've found my left side is far weaker than the right.

Is it better to bring the whole lift down a few kg's to the capability of the weak side, or do additional work to build the weak side back up?

What exercises are you using Kaz?

I've used isolation to rectify this problem in the past - as in using dumbbells as opposed to a barbell, force each pec to work individually and making me unable to favour the stronger side..

The recommended approach I've heard before from coaches I respect is to back off a few kg as you suggest, your body will sort itself out in short order.

FWIW this approach worked out great for me after both a quad and shoulder injury.

What exercises are you using Kaz?

In my program?
Bench press in various grips. It affects my bench press more notable than any other lifts. This morning the left side struggled to unrack a 60kg bench and the right side got the weight off the chest but the left side completely failed.
I benched 55kg x 2 easily but it was where the weakness started.

I have this problem and it gives me no issues
As long as you don't have one erector larger than the other or something equally outrageous you will be fine

Keep trainign hard Kaz you're doing well keep pushing

In my program?
Bench press in various grips. It affects my bench press more notable than any other lifts. This morning the left side struggled to unrack a 60kg bench and the right side got the weight off the chest but the left side completely failed.
I benched 55kg x 2 easily but it was where the weakness started.

Ok.
Just stick with what you're doing, your weak side will catch-up, it's all good, it could take time.

Im not sure what your template is, but maybe consider, doing a set or two of 10~15 to fatigue for a short time? Once a week?

Unless you do have shoulder issues, stay with the barbell.

don't know about that. I have been squatting for over 30 years, and my weaker left leg has never caught up.

don't know about that. I have been squatting for over 30 years, and my weaker left leg has never caught up.

Spartacus
I know what you mean, but I think kaz didn't have the issue Pre injury.

But while on the topic, do you think this strength imbalance left versus right is more down to how the brain works and recruits, rather than the strength of the muscle?

In this case it could be a matter of skill training?

Could be skill.

To digress, I got my imbalance when a kid hurdling every driveway on my right leg.

further, even though I have squatted for years, I think most sets were not done properly, preferring to use back more and getting weight up rather than driving through both feet through floor.

Now I have had a bad fracture for 2 years, I am now squatting properly in my comeback. The other day I reasonably struggled on 4 sets of 6 reps on 75kg. I could easily have done 90kg if I squatted way I did for powerlifting, but no longer see point (unless I was training for powerlifting)

I could let form go, but prefer now to aim for a proper squat with good form.

Last edited:
Spartacus
I know what you mean, but I think kaz didn't have the issue Pre injury.

But while on the topic, do you think this strength imbalance left versus right is more down to how the brain works and recruits, rather than the strength of the muscle?

In this case it could be a matter of skill training?

I have got issues with my hips being slightly rotated which is a work in progress to correct but it my left side ends up being far more dominant.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

I never had the issue pre-injury. :) I did it late March early April and still niggles under the heaviest weight.

I look back over the last few months, If I was setting weight on the bar for squats and deads I'd lift all the weight onto the bar with the right side, the left would just assist. If I was shifting stock at work I'd do most of it with the right side and alot was done one handed.

When I stuffed my ankle I fed up on pain killers to avoid favoring and haven't seen any issues yet.

I kicked a support bar during a kipping pull up so hard i fractured the Tibia, I didn't know it was fractured so kept training. I would have kept training had I not stepped off a safety step wrong at work and felt a crack then clicking everywhere I went.
Doc pulled the plug on heavy weight while I was strapped in a boot for a few weeks.

I kicked a support bar during a kipping pull up so hard i fractured the Tibia, I didn't know it was fractured so kept training. I would have kept training had I not stepped off a safety step wrong at work and felt a crack then clicking everywhere I went.
Doc pulled the plug on heavy weight while I was strapped in a boot for a few weeks.

That's what you get for doing kipping pullups :p haha

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 2

I had a partial tear in my left pec and I dropped the weight back on my benches when I started training bench again and it sorted itself out, as a matter of fact my left is now stronger than my right, it must have over compensated after the injury, and I though I was always going to have a weakness after I injured myself, but all good now.

You should bench press with the bar straight and centred. Use a weight that allows you to do this consistently.

If the bar is straight and centred over your body, your arms will be under equal load, assuming they're in identical positions. It will likely be very easy for one arm and hard for the other. This does not matter so long as your form does not suffer.