• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight Classes.

PowerBuilder

For a while now I've been thinking about which weight class I actually belong to, I've been sitting pretty comfortably in the 69kg class for about 3 years now and curious to know about going tonthe next class (77kg).

I remember once reading a book about weightlifting by a Russian coach called Robert Roman. He went into quite a bit of detail about technique and choosing a weight class. Here is a break down of what he could suggest now...

(Class / Height) 56 kg - 149 +/- 3 cm
(Class / Height) 62kg - 156.33 +/- 2.5 cm
(Class / Height) 69kg - 161.75 +/- 2 cm
(Class / Height) 77kg - 165 +/- 2 cm
(Class / Height) 85kg - 169 +/- 2 cm
(Class / Height) 94kg - 172.5 +/- 2 cm
(Class / Height) 105kg - 176 +/- 2 cm
(Class / Height) 105kg + - 186 +/- 6 cm

Here is a link for further reading.

yomsdyrc.wtk.jpg

Naim Suleymanoglu

Last edited:
Edit: My bad, I totally misread the OP.

At 164cm tall, I began weightlifting weighing 60kg at the age of 15, then with the same height (as a weightlifter) have gotten to as high as 78kg. I'm sure with few more years I would have gone up to the 82.5kg category as it was then. There are weightlifters my height who are lifting in the 90kg category, albeit not many.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I'd fit in good for my weight if i was 30cm shorter lol
Yeah, I'm nearly that badly off (according to that chart) myself. Tall and thin, if less so these days. Uh, less thin anyway...

That reminds me, gotta go eat something. :D

I think unless you're going after records you should be in the class you are most confident with your body image in. For example, I wouldn't get fat to go up a class unless I was going after a record, I'd bulk up a load then cut down to something that I find aesthetic. And if I can't be in that weight class shredded, well then I guess it wouldn't be right for me :p

I think unless you're going after records you should be in the class you are most confident with your body image in. For example, I wouldn't get fat to go up a class unless I was going after a record, I'd bulk up a load then cut down to something that I find aesthetic. And if I can't be in that weight class shredded, well then I guess it wouldn't be right for me :p

If you want to be the best at your sport, thats a silly way to think about it.

Im 185cm, i need to be 115-120 to be competitive on the world front. I think Ill slowly make way to 113 over the next 2-3 years. No real want to get any heavier.......

......yet.

If you want to be the best at your sport, thats a silly way to think about it.

Im 185cm, i need to be 115-120 to be competitive on the world front. I think Ill slowly make way to 113 over the next 2-3 years. No real want to get any heavier.......

......yet.

I agree with that but not everyone would want to be "the best".
I know that this is the strength section lol but different people have different goals I guess. I know that I wouldn't want to be over 12% body fat. For me my "optimal" weight class will most likely be the 85kg class but I don't see me getting there without considerable fat gain. Of course I'll try my damned hardest though!

Following the suggestions in the OP, I have no idea how I'd be able to be 105kg LOL

Damn, apparently I'm too fat for my division...

Its entirely likely I might make it up to the 105s one day. XXXL here I come!

Haha... I've got a mate who is about 170cm, and an easy 95kg at around 8-10% BF.

So all I need to do to reach 85kg (at 168cm) is to get f-in MASSIVE

For many reasons, I don't think so. But, he works his ass off, juice or not. All clean meals (6-8 a day), a lot of supps (now sponsored), and a lot of work in the gym.

So i think he has earned that body, 'gear' or not.

Lol at people concerned about body image looking at that chart. That chart is for people that compete seriously and more often than one or two comps in their lifetime. Those stats need to be looked at over the long term not as a 3 month bulk lol

Lol at people concerned about body image looking at that chart. That chart is for people that compete seriously and more often than one or two comps in their lifetime. Those stats need to be looked at over the long term not as a 3 month bulk lol

Solid point - 100% agree. Getting back on topic!

According to that, I should aim to be in the 85 or 94kg weight class if I want to be competitive. Heaviest I've ever been is 77kg.