• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weight Loss Six Fundamental Questions

Fadi

Diets and more diets! Although diet and exercise feature highly on every overweight person’s list, I feel that a closer look at some equally important fundamentals would serve the overweight person better in the long run.

1. Do you have the time?
2. Do you have the drive the motivation?
3. Is your goal cosmetically driven or is it medically based?
4. Do you have a network of like-minded people pursuing the same goal?
5. Do you have enough energy or is the lack of it putting you off?
6. Last but certainly not least; do you love yourself enough to make the change happen?

Yes, we all know that diet and exercise are important, we get told this each and everyday, we see it written in magazines, and we see it advertised on T.V. But without the collectiveness of the six points I’ve presented above, sustainability and consistency of purpose would sooner or later surely wane, possibly sooner than later.

By no means is the above list a complete list of fundamentals and you may need to sit down and write your own and put it out there in front of you to see. The fundamentals list is like a chain, and it’s as strong as its weakest link. Eliminate the weak link and you’ve got yourself a mighty strong chain to face any battle that may come your way.

Failing to recognise the importance of the above statement, would see you asking that most famous of all questions, the “why” question. Why am I not losing; why do I feel tired, why am I different than all the rest… and on it goes.

I say it’s time for some reflection.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Nice post Fadi, some very good points raised. Based on my personal experience however I'd disagree with point 4. I lost 14 kgs with absolutely nil network of like-minded enthusiasts. It would be rare to find a group of people motivated to make the effort. Most can't be bothered. All around me people kept munching on their junk food, while I ate well and exercised quite a bit.

Nice post Fadi, some very good points raised. Based on my personal experience however I'd disagree with point 4. I lost 14 kgs with absolutely nil network of like-minded enthusiasts. It would be rare to find a group of people motivated to make the effort. Most can't be bothered. All around me people kept munching on their junk food, while I ate well and exercised quite a bit.

Great, thank you very much for your input DKD. You won't get any argument from me that's for sure mate. How can I argue when the proof is in the pudding! You're absolutely right, some people can manage to lose weight all on their own, and at times, (as you have proven Sir) do do it better than if they belonged to club A, gym B, or friend C. So well done and congratulation on your 14kg excess weight loss DKD.

Fadi.

"Like-minded" doesn't have to mean they have the same goals for themselves as you do for you. They could just be supporting you in your goal. Dan John talks about this a bit, mentioning that when you have a goal it's best to set a date and tell EVERYONE about it. That way people will ask you about it and follow you up on it, you don't get to just quietly drop it.

Or you could make a bet. For example, at your next birthday party during your speech, bring out a 1kg tin of Pal, and say, "if I do not lose 10kg by my next birthday, I will eat this." The prospect of being public humiliated eating dog food, and the endless piss-taking from your mates as the date comes up, should be a powerful motivator :)

Agreed Fadi. The psychological factors are as important as any diet or exercise. They somehow all relate to number 6, do you love yourself enough not to eat that piece of cake whilst everyone else is gorging, to train when you can't be stuffed, and to push harder when the going gets tough.

1.Do you have the time?
2. Do you have the drive the motivation?
3. Is your goal cosmetically driven or is it medically based?
4. Do you have a network of like-minded people pursuing the same goal?
5. Do you have enough energy or is the lack of it putting you off?
6. Last but certainly not least; do you love yourself enough to make the change happen?

I personally feel that, in this list, 2 and 6 are the most important factors for weight loss success.

I believe point 1 is what many see as an initial hurdle...."oh I haven't got the time for a 45 minute walk"...they have to pull the finger out, re-arrange their routine and make time. A shift in thinking is what's required for many, they need to get out of their rut.

Fadi, your a champ.

I came across this, thought you may like it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWNLqjRKz3M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Abti Aukadov C&J 201kg@85kg[/ame]

201kg @ 17yo

"Like-minded" doesn't have to mean they have the same goals for themselves as you do for you. They could just be supporting you in your goal. Dan John talks about this a bit, mentioning that when you have a goal it's best to set a date and tell EVERYONE about it. That way people will ask you about it and follow you up on it, you don't get to just quietly drop it.

Or you could make a bet. For example, at your next birthday party during your speech, bring out a 1kg tin of Pal, and say, "if I do not lose 10kg by my next birthday, I will eat this." The prospect of being public humiliated eating dog food, and the endless piss-taking from your mates as the date comes up, should be a powerful motivator :)

You're 100% right Kyle. A network could be this very forum.

Fadi.